LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 06:57 PM
phanham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced passenger side today with motor that already had correct flat shaft. It was a huge pain getting the actuator back in, and it quit working after 5-6 tests because I'm an idiot and skipped the zip ties part... Second try was very quick though, you become a pro after finally figuring out how to manipulate the window rail and actuator; pretty sure I could do one now in 30min. Btw, I drilled some holes in the actuator frame to better thread zip ties. It won't affect anything, and helped secure it back together better. Don't have pictures, but if you've replaced motor you'll see places where this can be accomplished without compromising structural integrity of the unit.
Old 07-03-14, 05:56 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

boo hoo
I just messed up my passenger door lock. I had a passenger getting in and I happened to hit the door lock at the same time while the passenger pulled the handle to get in. All the other doors work fine but now my passenger door lock barely moves and not enough to actually lock or unlock the door automatically. I have to manually lock or unlock that door now. What did I do? Is it an easy fix? Please help me. Thank u.
Old 07-04-14, 07:31 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
boo hoo
I just messed up my passenger door lock. I had a passenger getting in and I happened to hit the door lock at the same time while the passenger pulled the handle to get in. All the other doors work fine but now my passenger door lock barely moves and not enough to actually lock or unlock the door automatically. I have to manually lock or unlock that door now. What did I do? Is it an easy fix? Please help me. Thank u.
The whole tutorial is right here. Parts and instructions. I just did my drivers door with easy close about a month ago. It's not really hard but for the first time it takes about 2 hours.
Old 07-29-14, 07:36 PM
ngaybuon55
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dajap
I replaced the lock actuator motor in my 04 LS430 for my front passenger door yesterday using this thread. Getting everything out of the door was easy. Getting to the motor was a little more difficult because I have the EZ door closer which required a little more disassembling. Tip to opening up the motor housing - use a razor and a small hammer to get yourself started and proceed with a small flat head to pry slowly. The hardest part of this whole process was getting the whole unit back into the door. My only advise for that is, be aggressive with the window rail. If you don't move that thing out of the way, you won't ever get the lock actuator back into place. All in all, I'm glad I fixed my problem for about $10 instead of $900.
Hi!Dajap.
Hope you still have the 2004 Lexus LS430. My 2004 Lexus LS430 with easy door lock actuator on driver side front motor not running any more. I already order the Mabuchi with part number like other peoples here post on but seem like the Mabuchi motor smaller than the one in my car. Do you remember where you order the motor or the part number of the motor you bought for fixed your car? I know was 3 years ago really hard for you to trace back the history but that will be a great help for the newbie like me.
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-14, 07:55 PM
ngaybuon55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The whole tutorial is right here. Parts and instructions. I just did my drivers door with easy close about a month ago. It's not really hard but for the first time it takes about 2 hours.
Lavishevo.

Because you are newest person replaced actuator motor and your car exact the same year and model with my car, Can you please let me know where you order the motor and/ or part number of the motor if you still have. My 04LS430UL driver side lock actuator not running anymore and I order Mabuchi motor with D shaft but the motor in actuator on my car bigger side with round shape body.
Please help me.
Thanks,
ngaybuon55
Old 07-29-14, 08:08 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

My car has the short d shift motor. Did you remove the motor and take off the plastic gear? If for some reason your shaft is different go on Amazon or eBay. They have the same motors with different shafts.

Central Door Lock Actuator Motor FC-280PC-22125 FLAT SHAFT - Motor Accessories - Amazon.com Central Door Lock Actuator Motor FC-280PC-22125 FLAT SHAFT - Motor Accessories - Amazon.com

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-29-14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-30-14, 08:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Those with auto close option. When you remove the actuator and auto close motor which are attached together. You must remove a couple plastic covers to gain access to the bolts that hold the actuator cover in place. You do not need to mess with where the electrical connections are glued in. Once you remove the bolts on the actuator cover you can pry it open half way and expose the motor for a swap very easily.
Old 08-03-14, 07:16 AM
ngaybuon55
Driver School Candidate

Lavrishevo

Thanks for the instruction. Inside the door lock actuator have two motors. After I replace the smaller one like the one you post the link the door lock working again.

Thanks again,
Old 08-08-14, 12:27 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picked up my replacement lock actuator module for $181 off Amazon (it was literally the last one I could even locate). I'd have tried the $10 motor fix, but I just didn't look forward to dismantling the module. The more time I can save, the better.

Going to get this thing installed this weekend.
Old 08-08-14, 09:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It literally takes 15 min or less once you remove the actuator. I would return that unit and save $171. It's not a difficult project.
Old 08-09-14, 04:11 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It literally takes 15 min or less once you remove the actuator. I would return that unit and save $171. It's not a difficult project.

True. But the moment I read in the original post, "When I opened up the assembly I found that...my cooper contacts were broken. Since the contacts were broken I elected to replace the entire assembly.", I ruled out the 'simple fix'. If that can happen to one LS owner, it can happen to me. And I wouldn't know it until prying the thing apart to look.

I like to do things once and be done. So I didn't want to get the whole door pulled apart before finding out it's worse than I first assumed.

There was a time when I'd have gone the whole 9-yards. Not just to save a buck, but because I had all the free time in the world to mess around with stuff. Not anymore. I've got a lot more responsibilities now. The older you get, the more you realize that time is the second most precious asset you have (next to health).

I'm fine spending the $181 against the $800+ I would have coughed up to the stealership to do it.

Last edited by SuperCoupe400; 08-09-14 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-10-14, 04:52 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Do you plan replacing the actuator assembly yourself? That's where it takes some work. Getting it in and out of the car the first time. Opening it up is easy.
Old 08-25-14, 03:57 AM
mjreisbord
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KISMETSDAD
My electic door lock quit working. Since there wasn't a good tutorial on do-it-yourself replacement of the motor I wrote one up. The cost to fix this problem is about $5. The dealer probably charges >$700 for the service. The lock actuator uses a $5 dollar Mabuchi motor (you can find the part number elsewhere.) On my 2001 LS430 the motor requires a "D" shaped shaft to fit the gear. A round shaft will not work unless you want to drill your gear and epoxy it onto the new motor. No special tools are required.

I posted the tutorial at:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexu.../actuator.html

The time to accomplish is about 90 minutes. Return on your time =($700-$5)/1.5 hour=$463.33/hour
my 2001 back ds door only partially unlocks, I then have to manually unlock,, what to do?
Thx mark
Old 08-25-14, 06:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjreisbord
my 2001 back ds door only partially unlocks, I then have to manually unlock,, what to do?
Thx mark
Follow directions. it's all right here in this thread.
Old 09-17-14, 11:54 AM
Feliciano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have been having issues with my passenger door not responding when I either open or close the door with the remote or with the lock/unlock button. Yesterday it started working and its still working today. Strange.

Is this a sign that my motor may be going out?

Quick Reply: LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial