LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 04:03 AM
lexie430
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
I used this site (below)... They don't have much detail on the parts included in the rear door, so it might not be the correct parts needed for this repair. After checking SEWELL (which is typically more expensive than the other Lexus dealer parts suppliers), they have the "Actuator" listed for $500.10.

A call to the dealer on the site below should clarify what this part is/does.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...component=LOCK
I'm afraid the link you provided is for the wrong part. Here's a link to the actuator from the same site.
http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2005/LEXUS/LS%20430/index.cfm?searchText=Door+lock+actuator&siteid=214082&year=2005&make=LEXUS&model=LS+430&submodel=&vehicleid=1430994
Old 09-04-12, 07:06 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up lexie430. Looks like the DIY project is the route to go unless you have $450 laying around... I don't
Old 09-16-12, 01:17 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm17
Okay, a few weeks ago I put in the new motors for the lock actuators and they have been working fine. However, now, none of them work during the day...either lock or unlock. They work in the morning and in the evening but during the day they don't work.

The remote is working fine, when pressed the motors respond (you can hear it) but the locks won't fully lock or unlock. You can't even manually lock or unlock when you're sitting inside the car!

Because it's been incredibly hot here in the Phoenix area I'm thinking something within the door lock mechanism is failing because of the heat. But what is it? Any ideas?
I'm having the same exact issue on my 2001 LS430. Here in Cali, Los Angeles, the sun can really heat things up. Today when I went out to the car, unlocked all four doors, and I noticed my driver side rear lock didn't open. I had to manually open the lock from the inside. After driving for about 20mins, with the A/C blasting, the issue got a little better meaning I would press the interior lock/unlock button, but it would only respond fully to the first click. After the first click it seems to lose its strength to open the lock. The actuator sounds like its doing its job.

Is this something thats due to my extreme climate conditions?

I noticed this problem on my 96 LS400 as well. On THAT car it was worse. The rear doorslocks didnt even move at all, and sometimes in really hot weather, the front ones wouldnt work either.

Is there maybe a quick-fix to this problem? Maybe a DIY?
It's really annoying considering I had to problems with the car before this.

Any help is appreciated
Thx
Old 09-27-12, 04:02 PM
CurtAZ
Driver School Candidate

You guys are all great!

I purchased the replacement motor on eBay ($5) just a couple days after I purchased my 04-LS and almost two months later it was still sitting on my desk… For some reason, today I decided to tackle it and about two hours later I have working door locks!

Thanks for the great tutorial and everyone else’s additions!

UPDATE: Looks like I spoke too soon. Work great when using the button/smartkey but its really hard to switch manually. From what I read above sounds like I have the white cup out of sync.

Last edited by CurtAZ; 09-27-12 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 08:28 AM
mcmamk
Driver School Candidate

I changed the motor but now my door doesn't work at all. When you push the lock button inside the car all doors lock except the one I changed but you can feel it working. I can't open the drivers door from the outside or lock or unlock that door. Is this all because the key line was wrong or did I mess something inside when I had it apart
Old 10-08-12, 04:42 AM
Becker135
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you didn't line up the key receiver properly, and maybe other re-installation problems that are described throughout this thread. Check through the access holes adjacent to the key lock first, but you may need to remove the actuator to make sure the connection rod was reinstalled properly.
Old 10-09-12, 09:02 PM
lexie430
7th Gear

Originally Posted by GaborL
I'm having the same exact issue on my 2001 LS430. Here in Cali, Los Angeles, the sun can really heat things up. Today when I went out to the car, unlocked all four doors, and I noticed my driver side rear lock didn't open. I had to manually open the lock from the inside. After driving for about 20mins, with the A/C blasting, the issue got a little better meaning I would press the interior lock/unlock button, but it would only respond fully to the first click. After the first click it seems to lose its strength to open the lock. The actuator sounds like its doing its job.

Is this something thats due to my extreme climate conditions?

I noticed this problem on my 96 LS400 as well. On THAT car it was worse. The rear doorslocks didnt even move at all, and sometimes in really hot weather, the front ones wouldnt work either.

Is there maybe a quick-fix to this problem? Maybe a DIY?
It's really annoying considering I had to problems with the car before this.

Any help is appreciated
Thx
It's most likely the electric motor in the actuator. Extreme heat would cause older electric motors to fail. That's why electric motors for some applications have heat sinks and are open for air cooling, e.g., an alternator.
Old 10-28-12, 03:24 PM
Becker135
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FOLLOW UP - A month or so after replacing the actuator motor, I started getting a grinding noise every time I unlocked the door. Assumed it was the small gear slipping on the self made D shaft so I went back in and put a dab of green Loctite glue on the shaft, although it could have also been the main gear moving out of place a bit due to the case not being taped up securely. Either way, I wrapped it up tight after glueing the gear on the shaft and all is well now.
I can't emphasize enough taking out the door key assembly before reinstalling everything. I found that I had to insert the key to get it to release and come out, after loosening the Torx screw of course.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-12, 04:26 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My passenger side front door lock stopped working a few months ago too. Started off slow then got progressively worse until it wouldn't lock anymore with the remote and car wouldn't beep on locking.

Sadly in Australia, parts are not cheap and there's only 1 Lexus dealer in my entire state. Lexus took the door apart and quoted me $1400 and stated I needed a whole new door closer assembly and actuator - the part number was 69040-50220 which is only for RH drive vehicles and the part number was also for a series of parts. I was so shocked, I tried to seek help overseas from Lexus dealers and club vendors, but sadly either none could supply the part (due to LH vehicles) or even reply to my emails!! . Tried to get the part direct from an export company in Japan, but with postage and duty it was going to cost $900 just for the parts then I would have had to pay Lexus to install it anyway.

In the end I ordered it from the only dealer in my state and because they made a mistake with the day of my appointment, I negotiated the total cost down to $1070 and they gave me a brand new CT Lexus loan car for 2 days. Its a crazy price I know, and I'm willing to fix some things myself but not this!! I couldn't risk taking it all apart and breaking something else, plus I didn't have the time and if something went wrong with a part I supplied myself then they wouldn't honor any warranty etc.

Finally its fixed and I'm happy again, but I hope nothing else goes wrong like that again with my LS430. It's kind of left me still feeling annoyed. Over $1,000 for one door lock....GRRRR
Old 10-29-12, 10:42 PM
mcmamk
Driver School Candidate

I took apart the door again and the lock assembly and outside door handle were hooked up right but the assembly at the bottom had slipped off the tab for the thing to operate right. re-inserted the tab and everything is working great. Thanks for all the help. Great write up on how to fix this problem.
Mark
Old 11-14-12, 05:30 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigcory
So what is the correct motor for replacing in the actuator? I would rather replace it with the correct motor : )

For those that have installed as is, how much louder is it?
Bigcory, I'm now where you were back years ago, replacing your door actuator on your Lexus. My question is "did you ever find the D shaft in the actuator? If not, did you replace the shaft w/ the old D shaft and how did it work? Also, was it the correct Mabuchi actuator considering it has greater noise? Anyway, I'm buying the round shaft and filing to a D shaft. Done! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Charger69
Old 11-14-12, 09:08 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 actuator, can't find an actuator

Originally Posted by KISMETSDAD
My electic door lock quit working. Since there wasn't a good tutorial on do-it-yourself replacement of the motor I wrote one up. The cost to fix this problem is about $5. The dealer probably charges >$700 for the service. The lock actuator uses a $5 dollar Mabuchi motor (you can find the part number elsewhere.) On my 2001 LS430 the motor requires a "D" shaped shaft to fit the gear. A round shaft will not work unless you want to drill your gear and epoxy it onto the new motor. No special tools are required.

I posted the tutorial at:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexu.../actuator.html

The time to accomplish is about 90 minutes. Return on your time =($700-$5)/1.5 hour=$463.33/hour
I also have a 2001 LS430 w/ easy closer. I checked Ebay for the actuator I needed but they all had a metal shaft petruding thru each end of the actuator assembly. What did you do w/ the small shaft at the end where I only have plastic? I can't locate one w/ plastic only on one end and "D" shaft on the other? Can you advise? or email bryanjs@sbcglobal.net
Old 11-18-12, 07:47 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ddm17
I need help!!

I did the job as noted for my '01 LS430 driver door. But now when I use the remote, the key, and the lock/unlock switch on the door panel it does the opposite funtion. When I try to unlock, all other doors unlock but the drivers door locks. When I lock, all other doors lock but the drivers door unlocks. My green and white cables are in the right positions. Help please!

The was much, much more difficult that I thought it would be for this first timer. It all it took me about 5 hours, and obviously something went wrong.

The Mabuchi part I ordered from ebay, as noted in this and other threads, is close but requires a lot of modification. I removed the plastic cover from the new one and tried to switch it to the old part so I could have the correct D type shaft. But since the original shaft is longer you need to carefully remove the small washer behind the brushes and widen the hole in the washer. I chose to use my drill and delicately make a larger hole.

The cap itself is a little larger so you have to shave off a little to have it fit in the housing of the original part.

When re-assembling you really need to make sure you chose the right bolts to secure first otherwise you will not be able to get the other bolts on first. I had to figure it out by trial and error several times until I got it.

After several hours in this hot Arizona heat, some cuts on the hands, I got it all back together but its backwards. Can anyone tell me where I need to look to fix this?
I need to install a new actuator and read a few threads stating that others like you modified their actuator. I may need to get inside of the actuator, how do you open the actuator?

Bryan
Old 12-01-12, 12:30 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KISMETSDAD
My electic door lock quit working. Since there wasn't a good tutorial on do-it-yourself replacement of the motor I wrote one up. The cost to fix this problem is about $5. The dealer probably charges >$700 for the service. The lock actuator uses a $5 dollar Mabuchi motor (you can find the part number elsewhere.) On my 2001 LS430 the motor requires a "D" shaped shaft to fit the gear. A round shaft will not work unless you want to drill your gear and epoxy it onto the new motor. No special tools are required.

I posted the tutorial at:

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexu.../actuator.html

The time to accomplish is about 90 minutes. Return on your time =($700-$5)/1.5 hour=$463.33/hour
Thanks for the DIY walk thru. Right now I need to change the actuator shaft to "D" configuration. How did you take the actuator motor apart or hold the shaft still while filing the flat side? Bryan
Old 12-01-12, 12:41 PM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Becker135
Previous posts here say you can't buy the D shape shaft. But it's fairly easy to file down the round shaft. I used a Dremel, but I think a small file will work also.
I now have an actuator problem. Did you take your actuator motor apart and remove the round shaft or did you file the "D' configuration shaft in place. How do I take the acturator motor apart or hold the shaft still while filing? thx, Bryan

Quick Reply: LS 430 Door Lock Actuator Tutorial