Shocks for 2002 LS430

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 04:33 PM
hrp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks for 2002 LS430

Suggestions please.
Base 2002 LS430 with 100k needs rear shocks.
OEM or aftermarket. Suggestions.
Replace all 4 or just the 2 rears.

Commesnts and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 08-11-10, 04:44 PM
ebolger
Rookie

Are you sure they are gone?

I have 135K on my '01.

I put 265K on my "97 Acura RL w/o changing shocks.
Old 08-11-10, 04:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree it is not often that our cars need shocks. Considering that the LS430 has struts which are somewhat labor intensive to replace the cartridge, I would just change the rear. Are you sure you need them? Are they leaking?
Old 08-11-10, 06:33 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

They are listed on tirerack as shock/struts but sure look like shocks to me. 111.00 a piece for the fronts and 96.00 for the rear for my 04. Labor if I remember is like 3-3 1/2 hours each front and back and parts can be double or triple tirerack with markups.

I would replace what is leaking
Old 08-11-10, 09:00 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

If you do change them, make sure you also change the top mounts.
Old 08-12-10, 04:19 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

You "should" replace shocks/struts every 70-90k

"OEM" is actually made by 3rd party, mostly company like KYB or Tokico (however you spell it)

easiest way to tell if you need to:

(if you meet 2 or more, you should replace)

1. Car is over 100k
2. If you push down on the back of the car it "mushes" down
3. Look at the shock/strut and see if there is any oil on the shiny part of it
4. Also, if you push down on it and it does the "wave" motion
5. your tires, the contact patch, has spots on it where its not touching ground
6. if your car is still bouncing few yards after going over a bump

Last edited by RomanTPA; 08-12-10 at 04:22 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 05:33 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Performance wise, shocks/structs deteriorate significantly by the time they're about 50K miles on them. Most people just don't replace them until they start leaking or totally fail. Going 135K before they leak doesn't mean they were still good.

If the front and rear are all originals and you have 100K on them, if you can budget it in, I would just replace all four at the same time and try to negotiate for a better deal. Most dealers will take atleast 10% off the labor if you do all the same time. Not much, but something...

As for OEM or aftermarket, depends on what you do with your LS. If you're not a MOD person and your car is stock, just got with OEM, not real need in putting is say "performance" shocks if your have OEM rims, springs etc.
Old 08-12-10, 06:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I was looking into replacing my shocks a while ago. The guy at the frame shop said to me if they are not leaking and there is no sign of bounciness or other adverse effects jsut save your money. Bergstrom Lexus told me they rarely do shocks/struts on LS's.

Others, Frestone Goodyear, voiced sentiments like Alex's who's opinion I value alot, even though they are not leaking the shock has lost some of its effectiveness and needs to be replaced around 70-80k.

I just left mine alone and will replace em when the ride is compromised or they are leaking. I do most all HWY driving i have 110 k on the car.
Old 08-12-10, 09:50 AM
hrp
Rookie

Thanks, all.

I am dual posting on the Lexus Owners' Club forum.

Are there Bilstein shocks for the LS430 (2002)?? Anyone used them???

I have been told by my dealer (during yesterday's state inspection) that the right rear shock is leaking and that I'm looking at around $700 to replace the 2 rear shocks. Fortunately, my eldest son is quite the mechanic in his free time, so he gets the first look for confirmation. Also, my tire and alignment shop (who does a much better alignment than the Lexus dealer and gives lifetime balance and rotation is going to recheck them also.

FYI, I'm 69, retired, and like a fairly stiff suspension. Our other cars are a 2001 Honda CR-V, 1991 Buick Reatta Convertible, and a 1977 Excalibur. In the mid - 70's I did take 2 years of auto mechanics at our local community college. I also am into detailing my own cars (I'm a Zaino Zealot)so the LS looks brand new. It has been driven around 12k/year, usually at 10+ miles trips and around town here in the South (Greensboro, N.C.) where our roads are good and well maintained. No off road driving. No hitting curbs, etc. Serviced every 5k and rotated and balanced and aligned every 5k (roughly 2-3x/year. Top of the lin Michelin A/S Tires kept at 38 lbs. I'd like a slightly stiffer shock than the OEM ones. I've got Monroe shocks/struts on my Excalibur and Buick Reatta.
Thanks again,

Last edited by hrp; 08-12-10 at 09:51 AM. Reason: edit post
Old 08-13-10, 08:14 AM
ebolger
Rookie

I think that if you replace your front struts you should budget a wheel alignment as well.
Old 08-16-10, 10:47 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of such things...
Is it possible to modify my O1 LS suspension in such a way to make it more sporty?
Old 08-16-10, 02:49 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ebolger
I think that if you replace your front struts you should budget a wheel alignment as well.
Taking apart the front or rear struts for replacement will definitely require an alignment after completion.
Old 09-16-11, 07:32 PM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Hey HRP, what did you end up doing here? I am in the same boat needing all 4 replaced. I am thinking about going with the sport shocks from sewell. But I am trying to find someone who can chime in on this. I have an 04 w/o air and w/o sport currently. I am hoping that the sport shocks will just bolt right in without any modifications or extra parts.

I will replace the bushings at the same time.

Can anyone help me with the part numbers for this from sewell? If not I will call them this weekend and see what I need and follow up here.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-11, 08:32 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My Lex parts guy tells me to upgrade to Sport from standard non-air suspension, you do not have to replace the front sway bar, just the front shocks, springs, upper control arms, rear shocks, rear springs, rear upper control arms, rear sway bar and the bushings. Sport logo if you want to put a badge on front fender, but that should be it. Total cost for this upgrade was over $4k just for parts so I am sitting on this one for awhile.

I too may just do the Sewell rear sway bar upgrade and see what that does for me first... dip my toe in the water.
Old 09-17-11, 09:37 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hrp
Thanks, all.

I am dual posting on the Lexus Owners' Club forum.

Are there Bilstein shocks for the LS430 (2002)?? Anyone used them???

I have been told by my dealer (during yesterday's state inspection) that the right rear shock is leaking and that I'm looking at around $700 to replace the 2 rear shocks. Fortunately, my eldest son is quite the mechanic in his free time, so he gets the first look for confirmation. Also, my tire and alignment shop (who does a much better alignment than the Lexus dealer and gives lifetime balance and rotation is going to recheck them also.

FYI, I'm 69, retired, and like a fairly stiff suspension. Our other cars are a 2001 Honda CR-V, 1991 Buick Reatta Convertible, and a 1977 Excalibur. In the mid - 70's I did take 2 years of auto mechanics at our local community college. I also am into detailing my own cars (I'm a Zaino Zealot)so the LS looks brand new. It has been driven around 12k/year, usually at 10+ miles trips and around town here in the South (Greensboro, N.C.) where our roads are good and well maintained. No off road driving. No hitting curbs, etc. Serviced every 5k and rotated and balanced and aligned every 5k (roughly 2-3x/year. Top of the lin Michelin A/S Tires kept at 38 lbs. I'd like a slightly stiffer shock than the OEM ones. I've got Monroe shocks/struts on my Excalibur and Buick Reatta.
Thanks again,
Seems like your dealer may be a bit expensive as I got these oem rear sport struts http://www.mylexparts.com/partlocato...layCatalogid=0 plus the front struts for about $331 plus shipping. Another $240 got them all installed w/ a 4-wheel alignment at my local Tire Pros.

Last edited by monkeybutt; 09-18-11 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Shocks for 2002 LS430