LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 10:05 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already

Ok, so I no longer have my Lexus "dream" automobile because I test drove some SL550's and my wife fell in love with it. So if anyone wants to hear about my MB experiences as opposed to my Lexus one tune in.

I fell in love with the LS430UL as soon as I drove the first mile. My brother had a 05 LS430 ML and the cabin comfort was just amazing but the ride was sublime. Hated to part with mine as I thought I was going to hold on to it until they got the LS460 straightened out. However, once we drove the SL we decided that maybe it could take us to a future LS460 so we traded.

Two entirely different machines are the LS430 and SL550. SL is much harder to get into and the seats are much firmer. You ride lower to the ground and even though the SL has air suspension it is not nearly as cushy a ride. The intimate cabin is almost as quiet as the LS430 but the big plus is the hardtop to convertible in 16 seconds feature. So far it has been so sweltering in Atlanta that the top stays up for now. Tried it down one evening at sundown and by design your hair never gets messed and conversing is effortless but it traps nothing but hot air in the cabin. Big differences in MB Bluetooth functionality (special attachment $499) and navigation features if anyone wants to hear about them.

Had the car for two days and have a "check engine light" already. To be continued ... or not? let me know.
Old 07-29-10, 10:13 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

i would never buy a MB that was made in the last 20 years. they had the worst build and design quality in history of MB. just look at some for sale listings... you can get a '05 top of the line AMG MB that was 120k+ for way under 30k now.... but on the other hand.. people still pay about $25k for a 01-03 LS430 base model that was only $60k brand new ;-)

p.s. more stories please.
my moms best friend has never owned anything other than a MB but every single one of them was made before '85ish. never had a major problem and drove them to 300,000mi+
Old 07-29-10, 10:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Sounds good yes I'd be interested as long as you are to hear your experiences. We have seriously considered getting an 08-09 SLK280 or SLK350 recently but I remain very concerned about reliability and maint cost.
Old 07-29-10, 10:50 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Subscribed.......please do share your experience, thanks. Sidenoted: if problem persist, will you jump back to a Lexus?
Old 07-29-10, 10:51 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't buy a used mb has to be new so you know what your buying. At least you look good riding around town. I have a mb only problems yet knock on wood was a blown headlight and tail. Got it new in 08 got like 30,xxx miles so far wife trying to convince me(her) to get new E class sedan or coupe or glk truck. But definitly not keeping long as I would the lexus.
Old 07-29-10, 10:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i too am interested to hear more,, i imagined that your post read s550 since that is what i daydream about trading for, but yeah a sl550 is cool too

what kind of deal or not did you end up getting for your ls430 and for the new sl?? congrats i guess,, or not too... ¿¿¿
Old 07-29-10, 11:58 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
i too am interested to hear more,, i imagined that your post read s550 since that is what i daydream about trading for, but yeah a sl550 is cool too

what kind of deal or not did you end up getting for your ls430 and for the new sl?? congrats i guess,, or not too... ¿¿¿
Did not get what I thought I would get for an extra clean with less than 50k miles 06LS430UL. (But we would all like the $37k they are asking for the CPO's) Seems like the different models (ML, CL, UL) when used are all lumped together. Would have had to sell it for at least $29k to get what I got in trade including sales tax savings. According to CARGURUS I paid slighly below the average price of a CPO 07 SL550 with my options, 28k miles, extra clean and not a mark on her.

I took the car in this morning and the Service Manager advised that he was low on loaners so I went to the Sales Manager and he gave me a 2010 GLK 350 as a loaner. Still waiting to hear from them about what is wrong with the car. Was told that check engine light is sometimes a loose gas cap which triggers a low pressure sensor in the gas tank (wow good one). However, have not even put gas in it yet as it came with a full talk so the gas cap was on tight. Other causes are emission and fuel sensors. Was sure to tell both managers that I was not used to this with Lexus.

No worries I am still happy as car has 1.5 years of MB warranty left so everything is covered but to get a "check engine" light after two days of MB ownership was a surprise on a CPO'd Benz that had a documented cost to them of $3,600 to CPO.

Be glad that you have the Lexus nav. My SL does not give me the three choices I got with Lexus but is much more simplistic. Believe it or not I also do not have the cooling effect in the ventilated seats like the Lexus. I do have an adjustment that brings the bolsters together and that really makes the seat feel more snug.

For all that complain about the LS stay tuned because I may end up proving to you what a great car you have and not take it for granted like I did. Don't get me wrong though as do not regret getting the SL as I am looking forward to an MB experience. Just hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.

Also I am not here to bash MB but to just give you all a chance to see the "other side" and maybe appreciate your cars more. I am also not looking for sympathy as I'm probably driving some of the last cars of my life and wanted the MB experience as well.

Thanks for all the feedback as I will continue the saga .....
Old 07-29-10, 12:03 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Sounds good yes I'd be interested as long as you are to hear your experiences. We have seriously considered getting an 08-09 SLK280 or SLK350 recently but I remain very concerned about reliability and maint cost.
Thanks will keep you posted as I also shared your concerns but took the plunge with a CPO'd one.
Old 07-29-10, 12:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

thanks for the update... i was just reading in my car and driver (not the one i got yesterday in the mail but the previous months) and they were saying that one of their cars that had like 4k miles on the clock also gave an engine light error display so they took it in and the dealer said that the tank of fuel must have had a little too much ethanol mixed in which caused the fuel sensors to go off... a new tank of gas fixed their problem. i had never heard of that happening before but maybe they got you too like that. who knows? no loaner huh? lex tried to pull that on me one time and before i got back to my car to drive off they magically found an es350 available
Old 07-29-10, 12:08 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by votru
Subscribed.......please do share your experience, thanks. Sidenoted: if problem persist, will you jump back to a Lexus?
Warranty runs out in Jan 2012 so I will have until then to decide. As long as I am not paying for it I'm OK with owning it. Right now without the warranty you bet your bippy I would be looking at 09-10 LS460's.
Old 07-29-10, 12:10 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GLIDESUL
I wouldn't buy a used mb has to be new so you know what your buying. At least you look good riding around town. I have a mb only problems yet knock on wood was a blown headlight and tail. Got it new in 08 got like 30,xxx miles so far wife trying to convince me(her) to get new E class sedan or coupe or glk truck. But definitly not keeping long as I would the lexus.
During pre-delivery of the SL I got a C300 as a loaner. Great ride and loved the feel of the steering.
Old 07-29-10, 12:21 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

thanks for the update... i was just reading in my car and driver (not the one i got yesterday in the mail but the previous months) and they were saying that one of their cars that had like 4k miles on the clock also gave an engine light error display so they took it in and the dealer said that the tank of fuel must have had a little too much ethanol mixed in which caused the fuel sensors to go off... a new tank of gas fixed their problem. i had never heard of that happening before but maybe they got you too like that. who knows? no loaner huh? lex tried to pull that on me one time and before i got back to my car to drive off they magically found an es350 available
Very interesting note on the ethanol as one of the cars I test drove in Dallas had a check engine light too. However, they daid that it was caused by a engine idle setting sensor and needed a flash software update. My tank was filled buy the salesman at the dealership and may he saved some money at Racetrack (located nearby) for all I know. Not that Racetrack has bad gas just too much ethanol. What month was the Car and Driver?

By the way this review was what I based my decision on to buy the SL550.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 07-29-10, 12:33 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

august 2010 issue and i wish i could see the graphical results page of that comparison test you linked to.
Old 07-29-10, 01:06 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

august 2010 issue and i wish i could see the graphical results page of that comparison test you linked to.
I guess they are in the magazine only. Wonder if anyone has it in their archives?
Old 07-29-10, 03:27 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad they don't make a Lexus LS with The same drivetrain and build quality in a convertible. Oh wait, I have one of those.

Quick Reply: Traded 06 LS430UL for a 07 SL550 - check engine light already