LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Programing garage door opener???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 07:32 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Programing garage door opener???

2004 LS430, I have programed my garage opener before,now for some reason its a no go.I am holding down both buttons, 1 of 3 on the Lexus and my garage door opener at the same time until a slow flash turns to fast. Nothing, What's the deal??
Old 07-18-10, 07:44 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

With my Liftmaster, I also have to climb a ladder and push the learn button on the motor unit.
Old 07-18-10, 08:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

As Caddyowner suggested, you might need to go up to the overhead unit, press the learn button until it flashes and then get to your car and press the appropiate homelink button until you see the garage door open and close.
Old 07-18-10, 08:09 PM
mewhee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
With my Liftmaster, I also have to climb a ladder and push the learn button on the motor unit.
Same here w/ my Genie Garage Door Opener. There's specific instructions in your LS Manual on how to do it. Also, in your garage door opener instructions there's a "how to" on setting the learn program on the ceiling unit of the g.d. opener. If you've lost the instructions, check the mfg.'s website for an online manual.

Once programmed, make sure you hold down the console button above your rearview mirror for more than a second or two as sometimes there's a delay before it activates the door.

Hope this helps -

Will and the Fur Crew
Old 07-18-10, 08:18 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I stand corrected, I got out and pushed the button on the unit and ran to the car and the home key inside the car and it worked like a charm, Thank You, I don't remember getting out of the car last time,who knows.Thanks again.

Last edited by snakehead; 07-18-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 04:06 PM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember that some HOMELINK door opener only has 4 memory slots so if you have more than 4 cars or remote controller key chains, your oldest programmed remote just got kicked out... So make sure they all work, so your daughter doesn't get locked out of the house. (speaking from experience...LOL)
Old 07-21-10, 04:38 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Thanks for the reminder to check everything. I just programmed the homelink mirror in my new (to me) Subie. Everything else still works.
Old 08-07-10, 07:34 PM
leboyd1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Renewed Garage Door Opener Question

Originally Posted by snakehead
2004 LS430, I have programed my garage opener before,now for some reason its a no go.I am holding down both buttons, 1 of 3 on the Lexus and my garage door opener at the same time until a slow flash turns to fast. Nothing, What's the deal??
Okay, I have a "nused" 2004 that I picked up yesterday (this is my 4th LS). I climbed up the ladder, pressed the button on the Liftmaster, went to the car, pressed the button closest to the driver once until indicator light lit, twice until the indicator light lit - nothing... third time until the indicator light lit - nothing.

Continued to try several times - nothing. Held both outside buttons for 20 seconds until indicator light flashed quickly to clear all codes. Followed through the "step 3" as on Page 121 of the manual and still nothing.

Any ideas? (I quickly did it on my daughter's Solara and it worked as expected.) The indicator light lit, so it doesn't seem to be a fuse (or??).

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-08-10, 12:01 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

^^^
Did you perform the step where you hold down both the button on your handheld remote and the button in the car?

BTW, I mistakenly said everything worked a couple weeks ago. I must have checked only one of the handheld remotes that we don't regularly use. Last week, one of my wife's caregivers left a note that a particular remote wasn't working. I assumed it was the battery and replaced it. Wrong! I had to re-link that handheld remote and then the other one to flush the FIFO queue so that the two cars (with homelink buttons), two handheld remotes, and one outside fixed remote all worked.
Old 08-08-10, 02:42 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

A link has been added in the LS430 FAQ thread (located on top of the forum) that should be able to assist you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5699764-post52.html
Old 08-08-10, 02:04 PM
leboyd1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
A link has been added in the LS430 FAQ thread (located on top of the forum) that should be able to assist you:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5699764-post52.html
Great link and pretty matches the manual.

Could this be the problem? Step 2 says,
"Hold both the handheld transmitter button and the HomeLink® button you would like to program until the HomeLink® flashes slowly then rapidly (then release both buttons) "

I don't have a "handheld transmitter", so I don't have a "handheld transmitter button". What is this "handheld transmitter"?

Thanks,
Old 08-08-10, 02:43 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The handheld transmitter is the one that came with the garage door opener that you would normally clip to the visor in the car if you didn't have Homelink.
Old 08-30-10, 05:44 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Thanks for the tip! Finally I was able to program the garage door opener.

I hated the clip on remote. Battery ran out last week and it prompted me to search on the board again and found this.
Old 08-30-10, 05:57 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing, the "learn" button on the base unit to press is only if you have the "modern" roaming code garage door openers. If you still have a super old school opener that runs on programming through the dip switches, then just using the handheld remote that came with opener and linking (copying) that to the LS remote is enough. There is no "learn" function per say with those.
Old 08-30-10, 11:57 PM
slclexus
Rookie

I found that if I did a do-si-do and turned it all about the dang thing cooperated.

In all seriousness, programming these things is nothing short of wizardry. Maybe you should call Chris Angel and have him work some magic on it.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but it literally took some Wiccan dance steps and devil worship sorcery to get our beloved Flint Mica 430 to understand what the GDO was saying ... or like a woman, how it wanted to be talked to.

Love the car, hate Lexus dealers.

This is my mantra.

Owning a Lexus is like having the best meal of your life and then the waiter takes a **itake in it just as he's placing the plate on the table.

Can ya' tell I hate my local stealer?

Peace all,

Doc

Quick Reply: Programing garage door opener???