LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What car could replace your LS430?

Old 07-14-10, 03:29 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What car could replace your LS430?

Since buying my 2006 LS430UL in November of 2008, I have driven many other cars but none of them has even come close to the ride, luxury and pure driving enjoyment until now. My wife recently started bugging me about driving the new 2011 Infiniti G37 hard top convertible but at $52K for a toy car I was able to talk her out of it. Next came a Cadillac XLR that was absolutely not our cup of tea. Finally, we drove a 2007 MB SL550 hardtop convertible and we both were blown away.

I don't want to get anyones dander up here as I think the Lexus LS430 (since the LS460 recalls) may, by default, be the best car Lexus has ever made and we have ever owned. However, knowing full well I am mixing apples and oranges, after driving the SL550 I would have to say it comes very close to being right up there in luxury and pure driving enjoyment and the interiors and steering compare favorably. Unfortunately, we would be giving up so much when comparing the optional equipment and if you think the Lexus NAV is bad well MB is maybe worse.

My LS430UL has just about everything you would ever want and more
(backseat fridge) and the SL550 needs every option available to even come close. But the SL's steering, acceleration of 382hp, Dynamic Multicontour seats and the adustable suspension make it comfortable as both a touring and handling automobile.

The original sticker price is also crazy as my LS was in the $70k region and the 07 SL with all options is just over $110k. But buying a used version balances it out somewhat. We originally bought the LS for the luxury comfort factor and I mostly drive it especially with our friends or relatives in the back seat. My wife is not that big a fan but still drives it somewhat. A SL550 would not be that practical (2 seater, luggage space limited) but the wife and I are really impressed by the fun factor and the thought of taking it out on those nice Georgia Spring and Fall nights with the top down.

Has anyone considered what they would own if they decided to replace their LS430? Probably most popular choice would be a LS460 - me too - but I just may drive a SL550 a couple of years until Lexus gets the LS460 straightened out. Oh yeah I will get an extended warranty.

We don't have the SL550 we want yet but is anyone interested in a well cared for 2006 LS430UL blk/tan 49k? I want it to have a good home.
PM me if interested and I'll give you the rest of the details.
Old 07-14-10, 05:34 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been lookin at 2 of my neighbors s550's; 1 is white and 1 is black (sport package),, I'm thinking a white on tan s550 sport or amg if the price is right, which its not by the way. I've never driven one but exterior looks rate it tops in my book. From what I have read about what others have thought about driving the car the jag xfr (***i meant the xjr***) seems to be the next best thing to an m5 in its prime. I'm not 100% sold on the jag xfr's looks but I saw one with some elegant looking 20's on it the other day and I wanted to go trade my 05 UL for it at that moment.

I've yet to drive either cuz that would really increase my want for them but these are the only 2 cars within budget that are on my list,, used of course and high 30's, preferably white on tan or black on tan.

Last edited by sojah; 07-16-10 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-14-10, 05:54 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My decision with what to gets have always been with the thought, am I going to drive it to the group, or just have for a few years (less than 4)?

I don't believe in leasing, but if I were to, I would definitely lease either a MB (probably S) or BMW M (something), with no intend of buying it after the lease.

But, I've always been of the thought that to buy used and keep until it runs to the ground is most financially beneficial. So, I would probably replace my '04 LS430 with a '17 LSxxx AWD in 2021 when I might get sick of my 430.

If I were to total my LS430 tomorrow, I'd probably replace it with another 430, probably '06.
Old 07-14-10, 06:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

All the new Benz are really nice, I love the airscarf feature on all the convertible Benz.

I just hate to have to deal with all the problems that pop up all the time, and I am not being bias or stereotype here, I am saying this base on experience of everyone I know who owns or owned a Benz. Benz's cars develop problems very early in their life, so buying them used makes it a lot worse.

Once you are used to the zero issue experience of owning a Lexus, you would hate owning a car you have to deal with issues on all the time.

I had been lusting after the Bentley Arnage in the last few months, because their used value for the 99'-02' is down to $35k~$50k now, and it was a $300k car new. Also the production just ended in 2009, so the 09' still look the same as the 99'. I test drove one....well I feel like a billionaire being in it. But at the end, I really enjoy the trouble free nature of my LS430, to me, the ultimate luxury is being hassle free, nothing ever break.

Don't think I am trying to talk you out of switching cars, it really have nothing to do with me. I am just sharing my feelings toward Lexus cars.
Old 07-14-10, 06:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
My decision with what to gets have always been with the thought, am I going to drive it to the group, or just have for a few years (less than 4)?

I don't believe in leasing, but if I were to, I would definitely lease either a MB (probably S) or BMW M (something), with no intend of buying it after the lease.

But, I've always been of the thought that to buy used and keep until it runs to the ground is most financially beneficial. So, I would probably replace my '04 LS430 with a '17 LSxxx AWD in 2021 when I might get sick of my 430.

If I were to total my LS430 tomorrow, I'd probably replace it with another 430, probably '06.
Wow, exactly how I think.

I feel that all European cars are amazing when they are new, they just don't last long or don't age well. So if you can afford to buy them new, or almost new, and just plan to keep it for 2-3 years, it is ok and is the way to go. But if you want to buy a 3 years old car and plan to drive it for 10+ years, it has to be Asian.

I would replace my 430 with another 430 also, as long as I can find a clean low mileage one. If not, I am still not liking the LS460 much, and the Hyundai Equus is growing on me, I have a feeling I would love the Equus, especially if the rumor of a direct injected 5.0L V8 is true. But I won't know until I drive one.
Old 07-14-10, 06:15 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
All the new Benz are really nice, I love the airscarf feature on all the convertible Benz.

I just hate to have to deal with all the problems that pop up all the time, and I am not being bias or stereotype here, I am saying this base on experience of everyone I know who owns or owned a Benz. Benz's cars develop problems very early in their life, so buying them used makes it a lot worse.

Once you are used to the zero issue experience of owning a Lexus, you would hate owning a car you have to deal with issues on all the time.

I had been lusting after the Bentley Arnage in the last few months, because their used value for the 99'-02' is down to $35k~$50k now, and it was a $300k car new. Also the production just ended in 2009, so the 09' still look the same as the 99'. I test drove one....well I feel like a billionaire being in it. But at the end, I really enjoy the trouble free nature of my LS430, to me, the ultimate luxury is being hassle free, nothing ever break.

Don't think I am trying to talk you out of switching cars, it really have nothing to do with me. I am just sharing my feelings toward Lexus cars.
I am struggling with the reliability issue too, but plan to get at least one year of original warranty plus a certified year for a total of two. I should be ready to get back into a LS460 by then.
Old 07-14-10, 08:05 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

No brainer for me. I'd find another low mile 2006 LS430. A two seat Benz would be fun for us but it would be bought as a toy only and driven only on weekends and nice spring and fall nights. I still would have to have a LS430.
Old 07-14-10, 10:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
I am struggling with the reliability issue too, but plan to get at least one year of original warranty plus a certified year for a total of two. I should be ready to get back into a LS460 by then.
Basically for short term fun, Europeans all the way.

For long term ownership, Asians all the way.

The way I look at it, Europeans cars are like mistress, smoking hot, but super high maintenance, very expensive, and don't age well.

Asian cars are like a trust worthy wife, boring but comfortable and long lasting.
Old 07-14-10, 10:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
No brainer for me. I'd find another low mile 2006 LS430. A two seat Benz would be fun for us but it would be bought as a toy only and driven only on weekends and nice spring and fall nights. I still would have to have a LS430.
That's what my SC430 is for, weekend drop top fun. My LS430 is for my daily grind.

If I can only keep one, I would still keep the LS430. It is the ultimate transportation
Old 07-14-10, 10:23 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

another flagship like LS460L, S550, 750li
Old 07-15-10, 06:59 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The SL550 can definitely replace the LS430 for me, but it's a totally different class of car... so if I was looking at another highway car, it wouldn't be the SL550....

I'm leaning on getting a 2006 model LS or maybe a newer E-Class. Whatever I get, it has to be equally as smooth, have more passing power that the LS, and have that 'timeless' look.
Old 07-15-10, 11:16 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

There will always be one thing about the LS430 that will more than supercede any other car out there in its class. RELIABILITY!
Old 07-15-10, 12:03 PM
Twix
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My LS430 one day will be upgraded by either LS460 or LS600h...

I had a lot and have driven a lot of different cars (from junk to extra lux cars) and for me personally LS series are most suitable (IS,GS,RX maybe for someone more sporty then me)....
Old 07-15-10, 03:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
There will always be one thing about the LS430 that will more than supercede any other car out there in its class. RELIABILITY!
Amen my brother!

To me, reliability is the #1 priority for a car, everything else is secondary. I mean doesn't matter how insane a car is, if it is broken, it is useless.

Also even if it is under warranty, getting it fix is a tremendous hassle, and you have to deal with all the A-holes at the dealer telling you "that's how it is", "we can't duplicate the problem you are having" or "you broke it yourself, it is not cover by the warranty".......ARGGGG!!!

All I want to do with my car is clean it up good and go for a nice drive

I would never own an unreliable problematic car unless I am rich enough to own multiple cars and a personal assistant to take the car in for me.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-15-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-15-10, 03:36 PM
hrp
Rookie

Replace my 2002 LS 430. Probably with a much lower milage one. Spent 6 months researching cars for reliability, comfort, safety, etc. Settled on a new 2002 LS430. It's right ready to turn 100k and still looks and runs like new, outside and in. Do my own detailing. Will keep it until it becomes unreliable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What car could replace your LS430?