LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Quietest tire for ls430

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 04:52 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Quietest tire for ls430

I have an opportunity to get a full credit on my current tires installed by sears due to an error with the incorrect speed rating of T when it should have been W or V. I have the 225/55/17s. I am considering BF Goodrich Advantage TA or Michelin Primacy MXV4. I constantly hear great things about the Primacy. I want a QUIET TIRE. I currently have BF Goodrich Traction TAs which are super quiet. My car is so quiet I can hear anything and everything. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks all.
The following users liked this post:
danforth (10-28-23)
Old 07-07-10, 05:00 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I have an opportunity to get a full credit on my current tires installed by sears due to an error with the incorrect speed rating of T when it should have been W or V. I have the 225/55/17s. I am considering BF Goodrich Advantage TA or Michelin Primacy MXV4. I constantly hear great things about the Primacy. I want a QUIET TIRE. I currently have BF Goodrich Traction TAs which are super quiet. My car is so quiet I can hear anything and everything. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks all.
Have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DW? It's getting great reviews and good feedback on Tirerack and it seems to score well on comfort and road noise. I am considering a set myself as the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires I have on my car right now are too noisy for my liking and I'm looking for something softer and quieter too.

Last edited by swajames; 07-09-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-07-10, 05:04 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put H rated Primacy's (same size as you are looking for) on my 03. Bear in mind they have less than 100 miles on them - but I get more noise than I like on concrete portions of the interstate. Perhaps they will quiet down with a few miles on them (as I have read), but at this point they are kind of an annoyance. On Blacktop - they are quiet as a mouse, but not on concrete thus far. OEM dunlops were quieter on concrete.
Old 07-07-10, 05:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tkbalt
I just put H rated Primacy's (same size as you are looking for) on my 03. Bear in mind they have less than 100 miles on them - but I get more noise than I like on concrete portions of the interstate. Perhaps they will quiet down with a few miles on them (as I have read), but at this point they are kind of an annoyance. On Blacktop - they are quiet as a mouse, but not on concrete thus far. OEM dunlops were quieter on concrete.
I have also read of an owner who complained about the concrete noise with the Primacy's. Are the tires supposed to quiet down after some miles? I would take the BF Goodrich Advantage in a second if I knew they were quieter than the Primacy, but Tirerack has only accumulated 350,000 miles on their data. There are those on tirerack that have complained about Primacy noise, thus my concern. The BF Goodrich Traction TAs I have now are so quiet, I have been leaning towards the Goodrich Advantage. Our cars demand a quiet tire!
Old 07-07-10, 07:29 PM
tkbalt
Driver

Do a search on primacy and read up a little - I recall one post where the comment was that they were a little rough for the first hundred miles and then were smooth and quiet. I'll be putting a couple hundred miles on ours over the weekend and will report back.
Old 07-07-10, 09:57 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Originally Posted by swajames
Have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DW? It's getting great reviews and good feedback on Tirerack and it seems to score well on comfort and road noise. I am considering a set myself as the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires I have on my car right now are too noisy for my liking and I'm looking for something softer and quieter too.
Ditto on the Extreme Contacts. Best tire I've ever had. Very quiet, great handling and obviously great in rain. And substantially less than the Primacy's. I have nothing negative at all to say about them.
Steve
Old 07-08-10, 06:30 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I bought Primacy tires and was distressed that they were initially very noisy. After 250-500 miles of break-in they did seem quiet down considerably. The OEM Dunlops were very quiet tires (likely designed with the 430 in mind) but handling and ride was too floaty even for me.
Old 07-08-10, 08:41 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replaced the Dunlops with Michelin Primacy,, certainly much quieter and even the wife commented on the quietness which is rare,,

Derry
Old 07-08-10, 10:44 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

It's a done deal. Got the Primacy's today and there is a remarkable difference in ride and handling from the BF Goodrich Tractions which only had 1,000 miles on them. I got a full credit for them and paid the small difference for the Primacys. The ride is very quiet, but I know that tires need some time to "season". Driving with the Primacys is the closest I will come to any type of "handling" with the LS430, which is a considerable improvement. It does stick to the road.
Old 07-18-10, 01:03 PM
Vito 06430
Driver School Candidate

You won't be disappointed. I have had the all season 245/45/18 V rated Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my 06 LS430 for the past 8000 miles and the tires are amazing. They handle extremely well in dry, wet and snow conditions and to boot they are one of the quietest tires I have ever had.

They have impressed so much that I am considering replacing my run flats on my 06 SC430 with them.
Old 07-18-10, 03:01 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Be wary of Sears. They overfilled my oil by 1/2 a quart. Latest and last goof is they rotated my tires and a week or so later driving on the breezway my car shook like in a quake. Called them on the way home dropped it off and was told my driveline was bad and I must go to the dealer. I went right across the road practically and dealer said after 138 bucks to inspect the car/fix the rear wheel was loose and that caused the problem.
Old 07-18-10, 03:32 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vito 06430
You won't be disappointed. I have had the all season 245/45/18 V rated Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my 06 LS430 for the past 8000 miles and the tires are amazing. They handle extremely well in dry, wet and snow conditions and to boot they are one of the quietest tires I have ever had.

They have impressed so much that I am considering replacing my run flats on my 06 SC430 with them.
I agree with you 100%. These tires are absolutely amazing. They handle considerably well for driving a barge, and are sooooo quiet it is almost scary. Worth every penny, and I would consider getting them for my girlfriend's G35 sedan when the RSAs need to be replaced. Sears does suck, but the tires make up for it.
Old 07-18-10, 07:54 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Be wary of Sears. They overfilled my oil by 1/2 a quart. Latest and last goof is they rotated my tires and a week or so later driving on the breezway my car shook like in a quake. Called them on the way home dropped it off and was told my driveline was bad and I must go to the dealer. I went right across the road practically and dealer said after 138 bucks to inspect the car/fix the rear wheel was loose and that caused the problem.
Very true about sears. Be very careful to try and watch the job being done if possible and definitely check the entire car as best you can when everything is completed. They do questionable work at best and if given the opportunity will try and insert the red hot poker.
Old 07-19-10, 06:44 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I would have had Sears foot the bill..... idiots.