LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 12:40 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I have another ML Subwoofer question. I did the silicone fix and it improved 80% but I still have some rattling under higher volumes. I have a installer who looked at the speaker and is willing to refoam as well as recone it for me. I called all the speaker shops including speaker exchange and none of them will recone this speaker. The installer believes that there should be a cone that would fit and pretty much give the same quality sound that the original speaker had. Is this true or will it change the sound quality of the subwoofer. Is there a univeral 8" speaker cone out there that should work? Are there specifications for the cone that must be adhered to to do the job and keep everything original including rear grill without any deck modifications? I do not want to change the speaker to anything other than the ML with the factory voice coil intact. Thanks all.
Old 07-30-10, 03:00 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

*silicone "fix" is NOT a fix, its same as giving a band-aid to someone who lost an arm
*when you replace a cone you replace EVERYTHING except frame and the magnet
*re-foam and re-cone will cost $250+ if you even find a place that would actually touch Mark Levinson
*you can find a brand new ML sub on the internet for under $300 if you REALLY care about OEM
*the subwoofer post, explains what you need to look for when getting aftermarket sub

hope that helps
Old 07-30-10, 03:22 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
*silicone "fix" is NOT a fix, its same as giving a band-aid to someone who lost an arm
*when you replace a cone you replace EVERYTHING except frame and the magnet
*re-foam and re-cone will cost $250+ if you even find a place that would actually touch Mark Levinson
*you can find a brand new ML sub on the internet for under $300 if you REALLY care about OEM
*the subwoofer post, explains what you need to look for when getting aftermarket sub

hope that helps
Yes it does help. Are you saying that reconing actually involves changing the voice coil as well? I have a feeling that the refoaming might actually do the trick for me. When checking the ML Sub's ohm value with an Ohm meter it was within specs. (I think the tech said it was between 10-12 ohms) Roman, do you still have the kit? Would the JBL/Toyota 86160-AC180 original foam surround be the same? Thanks again.
Old 07-30-10, 03:49 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Are you saying that reconing actually involves changing the voice coil as well?
if done properly, yes

checking the ML Sub's ohm value with an Ohm meter it was within specs.(I think the tech said it was between 10-12 ohms)
check it again, and move the cone up and down.. see what happens

Roman, do you still have the kit?
yes, paypal me to coRoman1@yahoo.com and also PM me your shipping address here

Would the JBL/Toyota 86160-AC180 original foam surround be the same?
(if its 8" and has the "M" shaped foam) it should fit

P.S. update on my 8" ML sub: its still working like a champ

Last edited by RomanTPA; 07-30-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-04-10, 04:13 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

post 7 updated with my nav tool install
Old 08-06-10, 11:39 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Finished up the write up
Old 08-06-10, 08:43 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much is the nav tool? looks like pretty much same as the other brands when you open it up. i remember i paid like 150 about 3 years ago
Old 08-06-10, 11:23 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by REV-01
how much is the nav tool? looks like pretty much same as the other brands when you open it up. i remember i paid like 150 about 3 years ago
was 190 shipped for me. but nav tool dont support audio like other brands. on the other hand, it switches to back up cam automatically, unlike the other boxes
Old 08-07-10, 01:45 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RomanTPA
was 190 shipped for me. but nav tool dont support audio like other brands. on the other hand, it switches to back up cam automatically, unlike the other boxes

yeah no audio video only. had to use another brand aux interface for the audio feed. but i do remember the box had a wire to hook up to reverse wire so i think it is the same.
Old 08-07-10, 02:06 PM
psyclone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New here guys but looks like you know everything about the ML systems. I have a 2005 LS430 that out of the blue yesterday no sound comes out of any of the speakers. Don't know if I did something or it's defective. It will play for a second or two when you turn the ignition on but once the Lexus "boot screen" displays no more sound. My touch screen also doesn't make a sound when you touch it and I can't remember if it ever did. Don't know if it's related but thought I'd throw that in too. It does this no matter what the source is. Help
Old 08-07-10, 02:13 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

edit: before pointing fingers...

0. Is your radio even on? (dont laugh, it has happened)
1. after lexus "welcome" screen does your nav screen come up?
2. can you cycle between the different menus on the screen?
3. if you lower the volume to the lowest setting possible without turning it off with it work?
4. have you modified ANYTHING in the car in the last month?
5. assuming you nav works, can you hear the annoying chick?
6. do you have an after market sub?
7. have you replaced any speakers?
8. have you checked your fuses?

My recommendation for this type of issue is to take it to a respectable audio or car electrical shop.
Because troubleshooting issues like this...well.. its like asking a blind child who took his candy.

Last edited by RomanTPA; 08-07-10 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-07-10, 02:43 PM
psyclone
Driver School Candidate

Roman,
Thanks for the quick reply.
0. Yes, I've turned it off & on a # of times.
1. Yes, It does and functions properly
2. Yes, I can do everything the unit allows just don't get any sound after that first second or so when I turn the key on. It's like it's muted or something.
3. No, absolutely no sound at max. or min.
4. No, I was listening to the radio driving when the volume disappeared. Thought it was the station but changed to another & to XM, CD, tape and nothing.
5. Yes, I can hear her, I can hear phone conversations as well.
6. No, completely stock.
7. No, all stock as well.
8. No, I figured since I have sound when the ignition is first turned on and all other functions work properly it must not be a fuse.

I appreciate you trying....Looks like I'll drive in silence to the dealer or an aftermarket audio shop as you suggest.
Old 08-07-10, 05:32 PM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

yeah, you got an odd one. im not sure if nav voice goes through the main amp, if it dont, than its most likely your amp went out. i would take it to a shop that deals with car electronics see what they say.
Old 08-09-10, 08:06 PM
psyclone
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't that seem unlikely since I can hear the audio for a second before the welcome screen comes up? I went to an aftermarket car audio guy today and he's dumbfounded. Said to go to the dealer. Guess that's my last option. Pretty crazy. My first post here and I've stumped the expert....
Old 08-10-10, 02:48 AM
RomanTPA
Lead Lap

lol, im not an expert. Im just passing on what I have learned over the years while playing with cars.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: LS430 Mark Levinson EVERYTHING w/Pics & part#s