LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Windows up or down during summer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 12:48 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windows up or down during summer?

Saw an episode of Mythbusters and they did a very controlled experiment where they emptied (syphoned out the gas) two identical Ford Explorers. Filled them up with 5 gallons of gas and weighted them the same. They went around an oval track at 45 mph. One with window up, the other window down. According to some computer model, the window up with AC running should be more fuel efficient than window down with no AC. As it turned out, the one with window down ran further than the one with AC. They estimated about 15% more.

So, my question is... how many LS drivers here drive with the window down on a hot summer day and has ANYONE noticed any difference in fuel efficiency with their vehicles either way?

I have never driven any extensive distance with window down ever, for two reasons, hot air is hot air, no matter how it's flowing through your car. I need COOL air, not hot air blowing at 70 mph. 2nd, the wind noise and the air just rushing through the car is annoying.

Anyway just curious... but maybe someone can post a poll on here.
Old 07-05-10, 01:03 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Air con system all the way all the time, I roll my windows down at pay toll booths only. If I want out side air, I'll buy an SC430 : )
Old 07-05-10, 01:27 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you kidding me? Living in the south with the heat index reaching 100-110 degrees and with the temperature in the 90's at 10:00 at night and I'm gonna drive around with the windows down. DUH!
Old 07-05-10, 02:00 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think I've ever driven the LS with the windows down. If I want to commune with nature, I drive the Allante with the top down.
Old 07-05-10, 02:30 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Doesn't sound like a very accurate experiment to me. Two different trucks? Did they run an identical test with both trucks to determine that they had identical gas mileage? A better experiment would be to run one truck on one track at one speed with one driver for 300 or 400 miles with windows down, and then duplicate the test with the same equipment with A/C on and windows up. Even then you would need identical ambient conditions for both tests. Might have to run 10 to 20 tests to really determine an accurate answer.
Old 07-05-10, 02:34 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Rarely do we hit the 80's here in the northwest. However, we often get constant 75's which is super comfortable with the windows down. May its me having convertibles in the past but I love windows down whenever temp is agreeable.
Old 07-05-10, 03:04 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just asking... and the Mythbusters experiment had many variables that would have swayed the outcome... one exactly being as Jayclapp said, why two trucks? Although "identical" they are still two different vehicles. They should have done the 5 gallons until dry, then do it again for 5 gallons, rather than use two trucks.

Anyway, I can't imagine many people driving in 80+ degree weather with windows down, but I do see them and I'm thinking that hopefully it's because their AC is broken and they're not actually doing it to get that extra 1 mpg (if even).
Old 07-05-10, 03:18 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an LS, but I'm going to weigh in anyhow.

I'm a windows down at lower speeds person (in the M) but at higher speeds I do notice drag & instability so it's windows up unless I really want air, in which case I'll open the rear wing windows about half way.

In the Rover, I'm a sunroof cracked person with the occasional open of the sunroof all the way.

In the STS: sunroof cracked, rarely anything else.

Living in the PNW as well, we often have a nice ambiant temperature outside (when it's not raining) it's more or less how much I feel like letting the outside world in & where I'm driving.
Old 07-05-10, 03:23 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Commuting to work in the LS430... windows up. Going home... Windows down, unbutton the shirt put the A/C on low and AC seats on... and just cruise
Old 07-05-10, 03:39 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Windows down, unbutton the shirt put the A/C on low and AC seats on... and just cruise
Exactly!!!
Old 07-05-10, 04:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Windows up all the time. Dust, dirt and bugs in car are Especially if one has allergies. Then there is the decibel factor of commuter traffic and wind noise as it flows past the car. Dad after a lifetime of window down commuting 1 hour each way has lost 70% of his hearing in the left ear. (He worked in an office so he was not exposed to high SPL in that environment.)

Then there is the sun and UV exposure. Depending on skin type, arm on window sill...almost a sure bet after many years, you'll be seeing your derm for a shave of some suspected moles. Minor point is freckles, don't laugh, I have seen people who have sun freckles on one arm and not on the other due to having it on the sill. So sit on the passenger side to even it out.

A minor or bigger nuisance factor, the particulate matter as drawn into the car while driving the roadways. Suck enough of that car exhaust and road grit into your lungs...not pleasant. Think diesel smoke spewing vehicles or those who have engines so worn it pukes out unburned gas, oil into the air as you drive behind it.

(This was learned after many years riding my bicycles along PCH from Seal Beach to Huntington. The days I rode PCH, I had a nice cough attack on high traffic times. Riding where there is a significant decrease in car traffic, lungs are happier.)

IMO, enjoy the quiet, filtered air and UV filtering of the glass/tinted windows. That's just me.
Old 07-05-10, 04:47 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost always windows up for me. But, once in a while, I get the need for a convertible experience. Like someone else posted above I'll drop all 4 windows and open up the sunroof and blast the AC full-bore. Awesome feeling cruising around when it's 90 deg out with the alernating rush of hot and cold air. When I was younger I had a Mustang convertible that I used to run around in the summer with top down and AC blasting full-on. Wow, need to get a convo again!
Old 07-05-10, 08:33 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

With low temps of 87 and highs of 107, it's windows up all the time w/ AC on. Besides, I hate the wind noise when windows are down, not to mention the car exhaust from other vehicles.
Old 07-05-10, 08:40 PM
Dirtyd210
Driver

I like them down half way..... w/the sunroof tilted... Looks really good to me especially w/the chrome pillars and window rain visors... Everyone is always trying to peer in anyways.. So why not give them something to look at... ha
Old 07-06-10, 11:14 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its all about weather. I'll say I dont like the noise windows down provides. You get spoiled in these cars and despite the age of my LS the sound proofing still works at an optimum level. If the temp outside is comfortable I'll put the windows down for fresh air purposes. When its hot, always A/C and windows up and when its cold always heat on and windows up!

It's more of a decision based on outside circumstances for me I guess, though again I dislike the sound of windows down and thats the main reason besides my allergies I like windows up! L.G.N.M

Quick Reply: Windows up or down during summer?