LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Top 10 Best Used Reliable Luxury Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 04:42 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Anecdotal means based on personal experience, or heard from someone else, and is usually a small sample and a subjective opinion, rather than the type of objective measurements made from a large sample asking very standardized set of questions. There is nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence it just represents a tiny sample which can be easily not representative or skewed. A good example of non anecdotal data is the consumer reprts car survey - they survey hundreds of thousands of folks yearly and ask some basic questions - has your current car had a problem in the last year? If so what area or system of the car had the problem? Based on thousands of owner replies, Consumer reports build a reliability matrix for almost every brand and model of car commonly available (if they have enough data). Thats where Toyota models like the Highlander and the LS430 really shine and other brands like Mercedes, BMW, GM products to name a few look like they are significantly less reliable.
Exactly, consumer reports show the overall trend across a huge sample group of thousands of owners. You get the big, true picture. I read many (and liked what I read) when deciding if the LS430 was right for me.

Anecdotal evidence is helpful but can be misleading. I'm sure there must have been people whose Pinto and Wilderness A/T tires worked out fine for them and promoted their reliability
Old 07-13-10, 07:53 PM
spender
Driver

Originally Posted by F16
We have a saying here in Britain

For those who say they now do not want a Jaguar probably cannot afford one.
Yes, the repair costs!

The only reason the Brits love the Jaguars is because they used to be made in the U.K. and were (and still are) the U.K.'s "flag" automobile. However, since the big merger, they are now mostly manufactured in Slovenia and only partially assembled in the U.K., enough to get the "made in England" designation under international trade laws.

In North America, only ponces (that's a British term) drive Jags...
Old 04-06-14, 10:12 PM
kaziriaj
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up best of luxury cars

I have been looking for this service and I found this one site 2luxury2 you can visit this site. it's a good luxury cars site. and i hope it is not bad please visit 2luxry2.
thank you. for read this..

Last edited by kaziriaj; 04-06-14 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-07-14, 04:46 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Give me a break

Originally Posted by F16
Dude's from the ghetto... where anything that can start up is luxury...

U made my day, Funny but how immature...

If you really had a good look at this Jaguar X you would see how classy it is and how it will Bury dirt your talking about. The problem for you, you are living in the past and can't appreciate or afford this class of vehicle...

Look in the mirror and ask yourself truly, if you had the funds would you purchase the new Jag and you answer would be yes I'm am sure!

I drive LS 430 myself but Jag is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. Author is talking about executives not warren buffett....

We have a saying here in Britain

For those who say they now do not want a Jaguar probably cannot afford one.

All of the negativity is by dreamers....keep dreaming and the day you can afford a vehicle of this caliber will be the day you will say "this is one awesome vehicle".
Please....Jags are known for their poor reliability, and yes I can well afford one. Your point of view that people who criticize Jags cannot afford them, is a ridiculous one. It makes no sense at all. You may be British, and you may be proud of its British heritage. The new XJ is beautiful. I don't know if it is reliable or not. The Jag in this article is, well, plain rubbish. Cheaply built, small, and not known to be reliable.
Old 04-07-14, 06:24 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Is that the Jaguar that was built off the Ford Taurus platform?
Old 04-08-14, 04:55 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default It was built on a modified Taurus and Ford Mondeo platform

Originally Posted by Bob04
Is that the Jaguar that was built off the Ford Taurus platform?
The Ford platform was probably a good thing. The car was small. I was a little harsh referring to it as "rubbish." The car never struck me as an elegant luxury car like one would expect Jag to design.

If Ford still owned Jag, their reliability would probably be up. Same for Range Rover. I read last night where Range Rover is at the bottom of the JD Power quality list....212 problems per 100 owners. Also, Range Rover earned, "most parts replaced." They are beautiful cars, but who wants to shell out large dollars for that. Sounds like Tata has not handled quality issues there.

Lexus should have bought Range Rover from Ford. Another luxury brand for the company, and they could have put Lexus quality into a vehicle that many people buy, regardless of the vehicle's quality history.
Old 04-09-14, 08:19 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Here are a few hugely valid questions to add to this thread. 1 which of these cars would you have no fear owning out of warranty? Which of these cars do you still see on the road, and which on used car lots. I am going to take it back for you. I see countless first gen LS400's, do I see any S class from that era? Very few. How about 7 series? Maybe a handful? Jag XJ none, probably single digits in a year. Audi? I can't remember the last tome I saw an Audi 5000. Seriously, sit there and think about all the generations of LS's and their competition. Not until the current 460 will you see the competition in numbers. Why? Because they are "still under warranty" and that's it. I live in socal and used car lots out here look like graveyards for German cars, Chrysler 300's and Dodge Chargers and that's no joke. The other cars may be "fairly" reliable. However when you compare them to the LS, there is no comparison. The LS is in the major league and the European cars are still in high school waiting for their first date. Oh yeah Jag and Lexus pricing are a stones throw away from each other
Old 04-09-14, 09:05 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jaguar always had much character, in the body styling department they are only equaled by the Italians and some had a rear axle design to die for. But tell these things to a car that only starts when it feels in the mood, leaks oil, incinerates pistons etc. etc.. Well, the advantages are that you can get a second hand one for a song and most probably it will teach you how to work on a car, with the spin-off that your garage will start getting too small for all the extra tools that you'll have to buy.
Then there's also the thing that you can't say you own a British classic, because Jaguar is actually kept alive by
people whose not even native English speakers. Well, where can you buy a true British car anyway? Oh, sorry I
forgot, you do get an interior with true British class.

What it's doing in a list of reliable cars, is anybody's guess.

Last edited by nipponbird; 04-09-14 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-09-14, 05:45 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Default Lexus Hubrous

We do get a little arrogant about our car's reliability (except air shocks). But, somebody made a good point about what do you want to own out of warranty. Personally, I'd hate to own a 7 series, any Mercedes, Range Rover, and some others. We do have a 2005 A8 that is now out of warranty (had two problems in extended, but has been very reliable). We did have a Jag 1997 Vanden Plas out of warranty, and it was reliable. I also owned a 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. I kept it after extended until 106,000 miles (it finally had an electrical problem, and I decided it was time for a Lexus.
I think as time goes on, cars are getting over engineered, and electronics make for poor reliability and expensive repairs.

Of all cars to keep out of warranty, I am most comfortable with a Lexus.
Old 04-14-14, 05:44 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Based on my experience over the years owning multiple brands of cars, I'd be happy to own 4-12 year old higher end versions of Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Lexus, Infinity, Honda, and Acura brands out of warranty (and be able to sleep soundly). I would own a vintage version of a MB, Jag, or BMW but it would only be as a hobby car and not meant to be a DD.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 04-14-14 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-15-14, 11:13 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Based on my experience over the years owning multiple brands of cars, I'd be happy to own 4-12 year old higher end versions of Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Lexus, Infinity, Honda, and Acura brands out of warranty (and be able to sleep soundly). I would own a vintage version of a MB, Jag, or BMW but it would only be as a hobby car and not meant to be a DD.
A lot of people feel like that these days. Was a time when it was difficult to admit it, but the truth is the truth: the Japanese has shown the world that you can make a reliable car.