LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Top 10 Best Used Reliable Luxury Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 10:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by F16
Funny u said jag is not an exotic car, anyway i drive Lexus but i like Jag i think it is one of the most beautiful car ever made.

What worries me with Lexus:

Latest blow, Toyota Motor Corp. issues U.S. recall of 138,874 Lexus vehicles

Latest blow to Toyota, Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s largest automaker, plans to recall 270,000 luxury Lexus and Toyota Crown vehicles across the United States, Japan, Canada, Australia, Europe and other countries due to the potential defects that could lead to engine failures.

Here in UK i see we all are surprised, we never felt this problem in car. What about in US do u guys had bitter experience with your Lexus?
Most equate with exotics as lambo, ferrari, AM..... which makes it a little more out of reach for your typical car buyer.

Every car is beautiful to that person. Heck, everyone here is a multi brand owner.

One car that left me sour is my 01 S500. It's unreliable but I don't go around and bash what a pos it is.

Our family have and have had toyotas and lexus so no, there's no bitter experience here for us. We value reliability because we have better things to do than waste time and money fixing a car.

Like I mentioned in a different thread, lexus has been "known" for their reliability so something like this, they get hit hard by the media.
And when a POS car maker (take your pick) improve, they get high praises.

it's like an A student get punished for an A- or B grade while the D students get praised for getting C's
Old 07-07-10, 06:44 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default We like to knock our idols off the...

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
it's like an A student get punished for an A- or B grade while the D students get praised for getting C's
ha ha... so true. I was an A- student for most of my elementary school days, then high school hit and I dropped to about a B/- student and my parents hammered me through high school. My brother was vice versa, C if even through much of school and then somehow in HS he improved to be a B student and although we were both really at the same level at that point, he got so much praise... when we were really doing the same

I think with Lexus, the media probably wanted/thought that Lexus would fail, but then when it didn't, it started to give it notice and build it up to be this reliability juggernaut, and of course, it's human nature to knock our idols off their ivory tower once they've climbed to the top.

Is the CTS any better than say the IS? Probably not, they're equal but no better... but because Caddy came back from the ruts, it's now seen as the Phoenix rising from ashes !!!! Hopefully Lexus can ride it's "past performance" just as MB and BMW have, and get things back on track.
Old 07-08-10, 04:53 AM
F16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

U explained it right...

Good luck with this one. I took my 2007 LS430 in for an engine noise and it was determined it was due to this valve spring issue. I was told that the parts needed to fix this problem won't be available for weeks!!!!!!! So now I am suppose to drive my car with the possibility of the engine shutting off at anytime! No stress there....

Usually, if it's a single spring per valve, if a spring would break while the engine is spinning at relatively high revs, chances are the valve will drop into the cylinder and that's not exactly friendly on the lucky owner's wallet. It will ruin the engine.

To change something inside the engine must be a real bummer.

SO MUCH FOR TOYOTA'S REPUTATION FOR MODEST QUALITY!
Old 07-08-10, 06:38 AM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F16

Good luck with this one. I took my 2007 LS430 in for an engine noise and it was determined it was due to this valve spring issue. I was told that the parts needed to fix this problem won't be available for weeks!!!!!!! So now I am suppose to drive my car with the possibility of the engine shutting off at anytime! No stress there....

How'd you get a 2007 LS430?
Old 07-08-10, 09:13 AM
AlexusAnja

Default 2008

Originally Posted by waijai
I got a 2008 LS430, I bought my 2004 in 2008...

He must mean either 2006 or LS460. I don't believe the LS430 has the spring issue.
Old 07-08-10, 10:56 AM
SteveM
Driver

Originally Posted by F16
Sorry to hear about your valve spring issue that must be frustrating.

Recalls and engineering mistakes do happen to all manufacturers at some point and it seems it only gets a lot of attention if it's a top brand. It's happened relatively infrequently to Toyota and they have been among the top ranks in build quality for a long time.

IMO the bad streak isn't long enough yet to erase the quality history. If it continues for long I'll definately change that opinion
Old 07-09-10, 03:44 AM
F16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by waijai
Its 2006 model bought in 2007. Nice car quietest and most comfortably riding tires available out there, if i am not wrong only important upgrade was in model year 2004?
Old 07-09-10, 06:52 AM
waijai
Racer

Oooh that means I have a 2010 LS430
Old 07-09-10, 09:37 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Interesting....

Originally Posted by F16
Its 2006 model bought in 2007. Nice car quietest and most comfortably riding tires available out there, if i am not wrong only important upgrade was in model year 2004?
Okay, then that's very interesting. The recall only covers the 4.6 and 5.0 V8 and the 3.5 V6. It does not indicate covering any other engines. So, if the dealership is telling you it's this "valve issue" are they saying it's covered, or that you just have a "generic" valve spring issue?

Quite interesting....
Old 07-09-10, 10:01 AM
waijai
Racer

Maybe he's just a troll
Old 07-09-10, 10:37 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
^^^ Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover.
I don't base it on anecdotals as you call them, I base it on personal experience. How many Jaguars have you owned?

I put over 150k miles on an X300 (95 VDP) and it was absolutely the most reliable car I ever owned. My father also had, at the same time, a 97 XJ6 and before it got totalled at 85k miles (His girlfriend flipped it at 60-70mph and walked away) the biggest expense he had was tires and brakes.

Of course at the same time we owned a used car lot that specialized in Jaguars and we were selling 20 or so per month, often more.

It's not to say that they are faultless, no car is, but the biggest and only noteworthy failure I've had in my car is the throttle body assembly, and it was made by Denso... Oh, the automatic speed limiter also went on the fritz, another Denso part, this time a brake switch.
Old 07-09-10, 11:19 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a Lexus guy but, Im personally tired of the self righteousness displayed by Lexus owners as if not even 1 Jaguar is capable of being free of issues. Hello, dont we have a recall happening now with Lexus and didnt we have one within the year about faulty pedals. My point is simple. We can't get mad at Benz and BMW as well as Jaguar owners when they talk bad about Lexus because were no better than them. Have some class Lexus owners, Jaguar is capable of producing cars without issues and Lexus isn't exactly perfect. Each Lexus I have owned has had at least 2 issues, not a BIG deal to me but, I had them though.

The Lexus' I have owned have been pretty reliable and all were purchased new but, still had either TSb's or other issues before the warranty. Is that perfect? No. Humans have this thing were being right at all cost and understanding and fairness get thrown out of the window. Lexus nor Jaguar is a perfect car, what one person likes is there choice and doesnt make them wrong or right, just makes them human. Show me a perfect car and I will be afraid because to this day, I never seen one that has NEVER had 1 issue! This isnt aimed at anyone 1 person, my comments never are. Just think most Lexus owners are starting to sound elite like more and more and that concerns me. I thought Lexus owners were the sensible ones? I WAS WRONG! HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I never owned a Jaguar, I just feel ALL cars are flawed to a degree, including our beloved Lexus!L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 07-09-10 at 11:22 PM. Reason: many
Old 07-10-10, 07:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Anecdotal means based on personal experience, or heard from someone else, and is usually a small sample and a subjective opinion, rather than the type of objective measurements made from a large sample asking very standardized set of questions. There is nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence it just represents a tiny sample which can be easily not representative or skewed. A good example of non anecdotal data is the consumer reprts car survey - they survey hundreds of thousands of folks yearly and ask some basic questions - has your current car had a problem in the last year? If so what area or system of the car had the problem? Based on thousands of owner replies, Consumer reports build a reliability matrix for almost every brand and model of car commonly available (if they have enough data). Thats where Toyota models like the Highlander and the LS430 really shine and other brands like Mercedes, BMW, GM products to name a few look like they are significantly less reliable. I think Jaguars have been selling so poorly in the US that survey data has not been available in last couple of years.
Old 07-10-10, 09:16 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
I don't base it on anecdotals as you call them, I base it on personal experience.
Your posts define the definition of anecdotal. You clearly don't what it means, so I'll stop even trying to even talk to you. Just because you had one, your grampa had one and your best friend's second cousin had one that were all 'judged' to be reliable doesn't mean the greater population also experienced the same thing. In this case, they did not......well unless you build your entire case on the flawed JD survey that covered 3 model years. Its very hard to judge the reliability or build quality of performance of a car, when you only drive one brand.
Old 07-10-10, 09:22 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Anecdotal means based on personal experience, or heard from someone else, and is usually a small sample and a subjective opinion, rather than the type of objective measurements made from a large sample asking very standardized set of questions. There is nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence it just represents a tiny sample which can be easily not representative or skewed. A good example of non anecdotal data is the consumer reprts car survey - they survey hundreds of thousands of folks yearly and ask some basic questions - has your current car had a problem in the last year? If so what area or system of the car had the problem? Based on thousands of owner replies, Consumer reports build a reliability matrix for almost every brand and model of car commonly available (if they have enough data). Thats where Toyota models like the Highlander and the LS430 really shine and other brands like Mercedes, BMW, GM products to name a few look like they are significantly less reliable. I think Jaguars have been selling so poorly in the US that survey data has not been available in last couple of years.
Your definition of Anecdotal is spot on. Maybe some people on here should take some notes. The only thing I don't agree with is the last sentence. The reason why Jag's have been selling so poorly is not because of the lack of data, but because they have built an inferior outdated obsolete product that was stuck in 1995, which no one with a brain wanted to buy, because they knew that ANY (excluding SAAB, which suffered from many of the same issues) other manufacturer made a better more updated product.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Best Used Reliable Luxury Cars