LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Top 10 Best Used Reliable Luxury Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 05:35 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a Jaguar... 2006 XJ8. I have had ONE expensive repair, the throttle assembly took a dump. FWIW, it was a Denso part and looked nearly identical to those fitted to certain Lexus models.... hmmm...

They are MUCH better cars than they are given credit for, early X-Types could be troublesome but the later cars are actually very reliable.

The Jags that are truly bulletproof are the 95-97 6-cylinder sedans (X300 chassis).
Old 07-03-10, 08:17 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover.
Old 07-04-10, 07:30 AM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe back in the 1990's you may have been right but not nowadays. Check this out

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2009043

You can find more information by doing a google search for JD Powers and Jaguar. I was actually going to get a Jaguar (2004 XJ8 lwb) but could not get the deal that I wanted with an extended warranty or certification. That said, you should really try on of the 2004+ XJ8's, especially the long wheel base models. Beautiful interior and enough rear leg room to hold a 4th of July party in.

Originally Posted by miniz
^^^ Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover.
Old 07-05-10, 12:00 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No shagwire for me, baby.
Old 07-05-10, 07:07 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

When will we learn, all polls are subjective. Buy what you feel you like, that's what matters. I appreciate the props Lexus earned but, ultimately from those who are critics to those who make polls, its subjective. The lsi is like many others, some we agree on that made it while others we question the validity. Im tired of list. L.G.N.M
Old 07-05-10, 07:19 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile I agree with this member!

Originally Posted by rld14
I own a Jaguar... 2006 XJ8. I have had ONE expensive repair, the throttle assembly took a dump. FWIW, it was a Denso part and looked nearly identical to those fitted to certain Lexus models.... hmmm...

They are MUCH better cars than they are given credit for, early X-Types could be troublesome but the later cars are actually very reliable.

The Jags that are truly bulletproof are the 95-97 6-cylinder sedans (X300 chassis).
Most of the flack Jaguar gets is for its past. Kinda like a human who did time and when he or she gets out, as soon as anything occurs similar to the crime they were jailed for, they get the blame. HAHAHAHA! Again polls are just that. Those(most not all) with Lexus will claim reliability and those with German makes will claim performance and prestige (dont attack me please, Im not stating that what each car owner claims is true nor false).

The fact is, this member had a great experience with the car this member owns. Each car owners experience will be different. I have friends that own only Benz,BMW,Jag,Audi and wont buy Acura,Lexus,Infiniti. They feel the Japanese makes are inferior. Is there opinion right or wrong. Neither, its just how they feel. Let's just chalk it up to each human is its own gauge of what good or bad for THEM!!!! HHAHAHAHA! And we dont neeed a poll to decide that!!!! Or do we? HAHAHAHA!

Perception can sometimes cloud what we see. One of my friends has a Benz 20002 and hasnt had issues in years with it!
Old 07-06-10, 04:11 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rspencer55
Maybe back in the 1990's you may have been right but not nowadays. Check this out

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2009043

You can find more information by doing a google search for JD Powers and Jaguar. I was actually going to get a Jaguar (2004 XJ8 lwb) but could not get the deal that I wanted with an extended warranty or certification. That said, you should really try on of the 2004+ XJ8's, especially the long wheel base models. Beautiful interior and enough rear leg room to hold a 4th of July party in.
People (normally Jag die-hard fan boys) normally point that study out. There is a big problem with it. The sample size is too small and the they only cover cars less than 3 years of age. Has Jag improved? Yes. Would you expect a car that has electronics from the dinosaur era to be reliable? Sure. It also doesn't take into account that almost every other sedan in the XJ's category is better then it. Everything from the build quality, to the material selection, to the reliability, to the deprecation factor is topped by the other manufacturers...... including Lexus.
Old 07-06-10, 05:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by F16
For those who say they now do not want a Jaguar probably cannot afford one.
No offense but a jag is not an exotic (unless it's the xj220). It's cheap my friend and around here in the land of S class, LS, 7 series and Bentleys, a jag is nothing to praise about

I will give credit to the new design of the XF and the new XJ-much better looking than the older jags
Old 07-06-10, 05:27 PM
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate

This is what you stated initially

"Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover"

After showing you that JD power has high praises for Jaguar, this is your response

Originally Posted by miniz
People (normally Jag die-hard fan boys) normally point that study out. There is a big problem with it. The sample size is too small and the they only cover cars less than 3 years of age. Has Jag improved? Yes. Would you expect a car that has electronics from the dinosaur era to be reliable? Sure. It also doesn't take into account that almost every other sedan in the XJ's category is better then it. Everything from the build quality, to the material selection, to the reliability, to the deprecation factor is topped by the other manufacturers...... including Lexus.
So which one is it - you can't have it both ways. JD Power's analysis goes back farther than 3 years so if you do a google search you will find that Jaguars are pretty reliable all things considered. When they do break down, they certainly are expensive but their reliability has been on par or better than other luxury brands.

Not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination, just someone who is cautious about sweeping generalizations.
Old 07-06-10, 07:06 PM
SteveM
Driver

Some recent and relatively limited reliability achievements still leave the Jaguar quality unconfirmed in my mind. The resale value alone says a lot. Either way I don't know of a Jag model that doesn't have a more attractive (personally) BMW competitor
Old 07-06-10, 07:20 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rspencer55
This is what you stated initially

"Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover"

After showing you that JD power has high praises for Jaguar, this is your response

So which one is it - you can't have it both ways. JD Power's analysis goes back farther than 3 years so if you do a google search you will find that Jaguars are pretty reliable all things considered. When they do break down, they certainly are expensive but their reliability has been on par or better than other luxury brands.

Not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination, just someone who is cautious about sweeping generalizations.
Alright, I'll admit I was wrong. There is ONE study with questionable validity that ranks Jag as average reliability (however, the better data set from CR for the same year disputes JD's findings). I'll change it to 99% of all CR and JD studies have rated Jag as being unreliable, repair prone, and suffering from poor build quality. Whether or not they were reliable for a series of 3 years prior to one study, doesn't begin to make up for the previous 85 years of junk. It also doesn't take away from the fact that the same class car from Audi, BMW, MB or Lexus is at least a century more advanced, better built and in some cases more reliable.
Old 07-06-10, 10:09 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

First let me say I drive a Lexus and am a Lexus buyer and have been for 13 years now. That said, all this Jaguar bashing is really just wrong. WHY? How do we as Lexus owners feel when Benz and BMW owners bash us and say we drive Toyota's with Lexus put on them. My problem is that I know Jag owners who have never had issues with there cars at all.

Its funny how when humans own or like something they down everything else. Whatever seeds you plant expect that to grow. What I mean is to put down a company as Jaguar is with its great history is wrong. Just like we dont like when BMW and Benz owners down Lexus and Lexus' track record and sales speak for it and all but makes the bashing done to Lexus by Benz and BMW fans invalid!

It's crazy to me when people are right they want ALL the credit and when there wrong they either blame others or justify why they are wrong. This comment isnt aimed at anyone at all so no attacks if you think im speaking about you because several people have bashed Jag and not just in this thread. I dont own a Jaguar and never have and dont desire to. My issue is that we do exactly what we complain Benz,BMW,Jag,Audi and etc., owners do to Lexus. We are such the pot calling the kettle black it makes me sick to my stomach. No more complaining about Benz and BMW owners bashing Lexus after this thread.

Jag's are nice cars and to say they ALL are unreliable isnt fair to Jag nor Lexus because if I recall Lexus and Toyota have had there share of issues lately and please dont justify it. NO CAR IS PERFECT. MAN isnt perfect and what we create cant be!!!! L.G.N.M
Old 07-07-10, 01:13 AM
F16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No offense but a jag is not an exotic (unless it's the xj220). It's cheap my friend and around here in the land of S class, LS, 7 series and Bentleys, a jag is nothing to praise about

I will give credit to the new design of the XF and the new XJ-much better looking than the older jags
Funny u said jag is not an exotic car, anyway i drive Lexus but i like Jag i think it is one of the most beautiful car ever made.

What worries me with Lexus:

Latest blow, Toyota Motor Corp. issues U.S. recall of 138,874 Lexus vehicles

Latest blow to Toyota, Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s largest automaker, plans to recall 270,000 luxury Lexus and Toyota Crown vehicles across the United States, Japan, Canada, Australia, Europe and other countries due to the potential defects that could lead to engine failures.

Here in UK i see we all are surprised, we never felt this problem in car. What about in US do u guys had bitter experience with your Lexus?
Old 07-07-10, 06:18 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Nah I am not worried about Lexus reliability. I think at least some level of occasional recalls are to be expected, at the high level of complexity, and sheer volume of manufacture under which modern day cars are designed and built. What concerns me is how a company handles the occasional recall - I am concerned that they do it quickly and with good efficiency and perform the correction effectively - thats what I care about. If a car has outstanding problem but the manufacturer refuses to do a recall and just screws thousands of owners thats what would make me never buy again. I think Lexus does a nice job no complaints so far. btw - the least reliable cars I have ever owned were a 64 MGB and a 75 VW rabbit - both unmitigated junk - I would not own either brand again ever if it was given to me at 75% discount. And I feel the same way about Chrysler products but for slightly different reasons.
Old 07-07-10, 07:10 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
... btw - the least reliable cars I have ever owned were a 64 MGB and a 75 VW rabbit - both unmitigated junk - I would not own either brand again ever if it was given to me at 75% discount. And I feel the same way about Chrysler products but for slightly different reasons.
I also owned a 75 Rabbit. It would get vapor lock when driven around town in humid weather. The VW service manager showed me where to hit the intake with a rubber hammer when it acted up. I've owned a couple more VWs, but no more.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Best Used Reliable Luxury Cars