Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS430
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Top 10 Best Used Reliable Luxury Cars

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-10, 06:35 PM   #16
rld14
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 296
Default

I own a Jaguar... 2006 XJ8. I have had ONE expensive repair, the throttle assembly took a dump. FWIW, it was a Denso part and looked nearly identical to those fitted to certain Lexus models.... hmmm...

They are MUCH better cars than they are given credit for, early X-Types could be troublesome but the later cars are actually very reliable.

The Jags that are truly bulletproof are the 95-97 6-cylinder sedans (X300 chassis).
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
rld14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-10, 09:17 PM   #17
miniz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lexus Town, USA
Posts: 742
Default

^^^ Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover.
miniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-10, 08:30 AM   #18
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 34
Default

Maybe back in the 1990's you may have been right but not nowadays. Check this out

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2009043

You can find more information by doing a google search for JD Powers and Jaguar. I was actually going to get a Jaguar (2004 XJ8 lwb) but could not get the deal that I wanted with an extended warranty or certification. That said, you should really try on of the 2004+ XJ8's, especially the long wheel base models. Beautiful interior and enough rear leg room to hold a 4th of July party in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post
^^^ Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover.
Rspencer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 01:00 PM   #19
campisi
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 216
Default

No shagwire for me, baby.
campisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 08:07 PM   #20
usermel
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,018
Default

When will we learn, all polls are subjective. Buy what you feel you like, that's what matters. I appreciate the props Lexus earned but, ultimately from those who are critics to those who make polls, its subjective. The lsi is like many others, some we agree on that made it while others we question the validity. Im tired of list. L.G.N.M
__________________
2001 LS430 Mark Lev/Navigation,Black Cherry (exterior) Ecru (interior) with golden birdseye wood/woodkit to match. Australian sheepskin seatcovers 1inch thick.Sheepskin Seatcovers.
usermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10, 08:19 PM   #21
usermel
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,018
Smile I agree with this member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rld14 View Post
I own a Jaguar... 2006 XJ8. I have had ONE expensive repair, the throttle assembly took a dump. FWIW, it was a Denso part and looked nearly identical to those fitted to certain Lexus models.... hmmm...

They are MUCH better cars than they are given credit for, early X-Types could be troublesome but the later cars are actually very reliable.

The Jags that are truly bulletproof are the 95-97 6-cylinder sedans (X300 chassis).
Most of the flack Jaguar gets is for its past. Kinda like a human who did time and when he or she gets out, as soon as anything occurs similar to the crime they were jailed for, they get the blame. HAHAHAHA! Again polls are just that. Those(most not all) with Lexus will claim reliability and those with German makes will claim performance and prestige (dont attack me please, Im not stating that what each car owner claims is true nor false).

The fact is, this member had a great experience with the car this member owns. Each car owners experience will be different. I have friends that own only Benz,BMW,Jag,Audi and wont buy Acura,Lexus,Infiniti. They feel the Japanese makes are inferior. Is there opinion right or wrong. Neither, its just how they feel. Let's just chalk it up to each human is its own gauge of what good or bad for THEM!!!! HHAHAHAHA! And we dont neeed a poll to decide that!!!! Or do we? HAHAHAHA!

Perception can sometimes cloud what we see. One of my friends has a Benz 20002 and hasnt had issues in years with it!
__________________
2001 LS430 Mark Lev/Navigation,Black Cherry (exterior) Ecru (interior) with golden birdseye wood/woodkit to match. Australian sheepskin seatcovers 1inch thick.Sheepskin Seatcovers.
usermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 05:11 PM   #22
miniz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lexus Town, USA
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspencer55 View Post
Maybe back in the 1990's you may have been right but not nowadays. Check this out

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2009043

You can find more information by doing a google search for JD Powers and Jaguar. I was actually going to get a Jaguar (2004 XJ8 lwb) but could not get the deal that I wanted with an extended warranty or certification. That said, you should really try on of the 2004+ XJ8's, especially the long wheel base models. Beautiful interior and enough rear leg room to hold a 4th of July party in.
People (normally Jag die-hard fan boys) normally point that study out. There is a big problem with it. The sample size is too small and the they only cover cars less than 3 years of age. Has Jag improved? Yes. Would you expect a car that has electronics from the dinosaur era to be reliable? Sure. It also doesn't take into account that almost every other sedan in the XJ's category is better then it. Everything from the build quality, to the material selection, to the reliability, to the deprecation factor is topped by the other manufacturers...... including Lexus.
miniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 06:13 PM   #23
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: so cal
Posts: 10,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 View Post
For those who say they now do not want a Jaguar probably cannot afford one.
No offense but a jag is not an exotic (unless it's the xj220). It's cheap my friend and around here in the land of S class, LS, 7 series and Bentleys, a jag is nothing to praise about

I will give credit to the new design of the XF and the new XJ-much better looking than the older jags
GS3Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 06:27 PM   #24
Rspencer55
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 34
Default

This is what you stated initially

"Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover"

After showing you that JD power has high praises for Jaguar, this is your response

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniz View Post
People (normally Jag die-hard fan boys) normally point that study out. There is a big problem with it. The sample size is too small and the they only cover cars less than 3 years of age. Has Jag improved? Yes. Would you expect a car that has electronics from the dinosaur era to be reliable? Sure. It also doesn't take into account that almost every other sedan in the XJ's category is better then it. Everything from the build quality, to the material selection, to the reliability, to the deprecation factor is topped by the other manufacturers...... including Lexus.
So which one is it - you can't have it both ways. JD Power's analysis goes back farther than 3 years so if you do a google search you will find that Jaguars are pretty reliable all things considered. When they do break down, they certainly are expensive but their reliability has been on par or better than other luxury brands.

Not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination, just someone who is cautious about sweeping generalizations.
Rspencer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 08:06 PM   #25
SteveM
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
SteveM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 184
Default

Some recent and relatively limited reliability achievements still leave the Jaguar quality unconfirmed in my mind. The resale value alone says a lot. Either way I don't know of a Jag model that doesn't have a more attractive (personally) BMW competitor
__________________

2005 LS430 Mercury Metallic / Grey Premium
1997 ES300 AVS Cashmere Beige Metallic 18" Chrome
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 (Sold)
1991 Honda Prelude Si (Sold)
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 08:20 PM   #26
miniz
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lexus Town, USA
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspencer55 View Post
This is what you stated initially

"Don't you just love it when someone tries to turn one anecdotal into a statistic for every single car built in the production run? The fact is that the Jag's are neither well built or the least bit reliable. Every single reliability study conducted by CR or JDP backs that up. Just talk to some service shops or an honest dealer service tech........they won't lie. They normally rank down at the very bottom of the reliability list with Land Rover"

After showing you that JD power has high praises for Jaguar, this is your response



So which one is it - you can't have it both ways. JD Power's analysis goes back farther than 3 years so if you do a google search you will find that Jaguars are pretty reliable all things considered. When they do break down, they certainly are expensive but their reliability has been on par or better than other luxury brands.

Not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination, just someone who is cautious about sweeping generalizations.
Alright, I'll admit I was wrong. There is ONE study with questionable validity that ranks Jag as average reliability (however, the better data set from CR for the same year disputes JD's findings). I'll change it to 99% of all CR and JD studies have rated Jag as being unreliable, repair prone, and suffering from poor build quality. Whether or not they were reliable for a series of 3 years prior to one study, doesn't begin to make up for the previous 85 years of junk. It also doesn't take away from the fact that the same class car from Audi, BMW, MB or Lexus is at least a century more advanced, better built and in some cases more reliable.
miniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-10, 11:09 PM   #27
usermel
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,018
Default

First let me say I drive a Lexus and am a Lexus buyer and have been for 13 years now. That said, all this Jaguar bashing is really just wrong. WHY? How do we as Lexus owners feel when Benz and BMW owners bash us and say we drive Toyota's with Lexus put on them. My problem is that I know Jag owners who have never had issues with there cars at all.

Its funny how when humans own or like something they down everything else. Whatever seeds you plant expect that to grow. What I mean is to put down a company as Jaguar is with its great history is wrong. Just like we dont like when BMW and Benz owners down Lexus and Lexus' track record and sales speak for it and all but makes the bashing done to Lexus by Benz and BMW fans invalid!

It's crazy to me when people are right they want ALL the credit and when there wrong they either blame others or justify why they are wrong. This comment isnt aimed at anyone at all so no attacks if you think im speaking about you because several people have bashed Jag and not just in this thread. I dont own a Jaguar and never have and dont desire to. My issue is that we do exactly what we complain Benz,BMW,Jag,Audi and etc., owners do to Lexus. We are such the pot calling the kettle black it makes me sick to my stomach. No more complaining about Benz and BMW owners bashing Lexus after this thread.

Jag's are nice cars and to say they ALL are unreliable isnt fair to Jag nor Lexus because if I recall Lexus and Toyota have had there share of issues lately and please dont justify it. NO CAR IS PERFECT. MAN isnt perfect and what we create cant be!!!! L.G.N.M
__________________
2001 LS430 Mark Lev/Navigation,Black Cherry (exterior) Ecru (interior) with golden birdseye wood/woodkit to match. Australian sheepskin seatcovers 1inch thick.Sheepskin Seatcovers.
usermel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 02:13 AM   #28
F16
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS3Tek View Post
No offense but a jag is not an exotic (unless it's the xj220). It's cheap my friend and around here in the land of S class, LS, 7 series and Bentleys, a jag is nothing to praise about

I will give credit to the new design of the XF and the new XJ-much better looking than the older jags
Funny u said jag is not an exotic car, anyway i drive Lexus but i like Jag i think it is one of the most beautiful car ever made.

What worries me with Lexus:

Latest blow, Toyota Motor Corp. issues U.S. recall of 138,874 Lexus vehicles

Latest blow to Toyota, Toyota Motor Corp., the world’s largest automaker, plans to recall 270,000 luxury Lexus and Toyota Crown vehicles across the United States, Japan, Canada, Australia, Europe and other countries due to the potential defects that could lead to engine failures.


Here in UK i see we all are surprised, we never felt this problem in car. What about in US do u guys had bitter experience with your Lexus?
F16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 07:18 AM   #29
Jabberwock
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Jabberwock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,682
Default

Nah I am not worried about Lexus reliability. I think at least some level of occasional recalls are to be expected, at the high level of complexity, and sheer volume of manufacture under which modern day cars are designed and built. What concerns me is how a company handles the occasional recall - I am concerned that they do it quickly and with good efficiency and perform the correction effectively - thats what I care about. If a car has outstanding problem but the manufacturer refuses to do a recall and just screws thousands of owners thats what would make me never buy again. I think Lexus does a nice job no complaints so far. btw - the least reliable cars I have ever owned were a 64 MGB and a 75 VW rabbit - both unmitigated junk - I would not own either brand again ever if it was given to me at 75% discount. And I feel the same way about Chrysler products but for slightly different reasons.
__________________
2006 LS 430 Black Cherry w/cashmere interior. Premium Package. Lexus OEM power-point storage kit to replace console ashtray, Rear Sports option sway bar, Soundgate TOYPD2 Ipod adapter.
2007 Toyota Highlander Limited
2011 Mazda3
Jabberwock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 08:10 AM   #30
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict
Trader Score: (0)
 
caddyowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post
... btw - the least reliable cars I have ever owned were a 64 MGB and a 75 VW rabbit - both unmitigated junk - I would not own either brand again ever if it was given to me at 75% discount. And I feel the same way about Chrysler products but for slightly different reasons.
I also owned a 75 Rabbit. It would get vapor lock when driven around town in humid weather. The VW service manager showed me where to hit the intake with a rubber hammer when it acted up. I've owned a couple more VWs, but no more.
__________________
01 LX 470 - gone
05 LS 430 - gone
13 GS 350 - gone
14 Accord
12 Ridgeline
05 S2000
caddyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-10, 08:10 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super Luxury Car Rankings by USNews GregoryNP LS460, LS460L and LS600h 36 10-12-14 07:21 PM
Consumer Reports' 10 Most Reliable American-Badged Vehicles. (Updated for 2013) mmarshall Car Chat 22 11-03-13 07:00 PM
CR 10 least reliable cars for 2013 bagwell Car Chat 14 10-29-13 06:13 PM
Consumer Reports announces top 10 most reliable American cars Hoovey2411 Car Chat 13 11-06-12 11:20 AM
Consumer Reports Names RX Most Reliable Luxury SUV UCSB RX - Third Generation 6 11-04-12 05:45 PM


Tags
10, 2005, bmw, canada, car, cars, german, ghetto, japan, lexus, list, luxury, reliable, top, unreliable

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info