LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Cheap repair for rear center subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-10, 08:32 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I too went the silicone route and there was definitely an improvement, though over time I had to redo it as the florida heat and sun separated the slicone from the cone. What I don't like about this fix is that is restricts the natural movement of the cone and if the volume is pushed too high this restriction could actually the damage the speaker more seriously and replacement might be necessary. I decided to have my tech come by and remove and refoam the speaker. It took a few hours, but the results are the speaker sounds like a new one and it saved me hundreds of dollars compared to having to replace the speaker. This week I'm getting aftermarket front door speakers to replace the crap that's in there now. The weakest link in the LS430's reliability is the audio system.
What brand of after market front door speakers are you going with?
Old 09-26-10, 11:03 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by BT3100
What brand of after market front door speakers are you going with?
I'm letting my friend who works in an car audio shop pick them out for me. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-03-11, 01:24 PM
ATL_AFW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did the silicone glue repair trick (the foam had pulled away from the edge). Instead of paying hundreds of dollars for a new speaker, I paid just $4 for the glue. I am particularly thankful the original poster of this solution. (I had done a Google search to price a new speaker and discovered the glue repair solution in a related forum.)
Old 01-03-11, 05:02 PM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the hot glue repair about two years ago. Last month it started buzzing again.More glue. Still buzzing. I took it out, not really a bad job. Just got back from Orange County Speaker. They laughed at the glue dripping over the sides and said, "No problem, 65 dollars please". I'll get it back in about a week and let you know how it worked.
Old 01-03-11, 06:05 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jamsvet
I did the hot glue repair about two years ago. Last month it started buzzing again.More glue. Still buzzing. I took it out, not really a bad job. Just got back from Orange County Speaker. They laughed at the glue dripping over the sides and said, "No problem, 65 dollars please". I'll get it back in about a week and let you know how it worked.
The glue/silicone fix is not actually a fix but more of a temporary repair. I tried the silicone which worked for about a month and then little by little the buzzing returned. The silicone/glue restricts the speaker from flexing up and down which is not a good thing. If the volume is pumped up very loud it can damage the speaker further. I had a tech remove the speaker, refoam and reinstall. It took a few hours and around $200 for the kit and labor. Well worth it and much cheaper than a new speaker. The removing of the seat was a major pain.
Old 01-03-11, 08:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Yep silicone or hot glue may be good temp fix but it has to somewhat affect the speaker's performance. The buzzing with stop but there bound to be at least some compromise to the speaker mainly due to restricted cone excursion and added mass/weight (damping) to the cone. Additionally the cone might also be somewhat unbalanced if the repair is applied to one side only.
Old 01-26-11, 04:46 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the silicone (temp) repair. While its not the ideal repair, it will do for a temp fix. Like everyone else the foam pulled slightly away from the edge. I'll have the permanent fix in time for the summer cruisin.
Old 04-09-11, 11:52 AM
jonicat
Driver School Candidate

After removing the subwoofer grill by carefully prying it up. You could see where the foam part of the cone had become detached from the outer rim of the speaker. I considered using the adhesives that others suggested. Taking into consideration that the speaker must have the ability to flex, so dri hard adhesives were a concern. I used plane old (Elmers Rubber Cement) not to be confused with contact cement. I gave the primiter of the foam a generous coating and by the next day, you can look at the area treated and never know that it had been repaired. The cement somehow soaked into the foam and bonded perfectly.

3 months later and the Subwoofer still sounds as good as new.

Last edited by jonicat; 04-09-11 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 08:18 AM
jamsvet
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Took longer to reply than I thought but my rebuilt speaker from Orange County Speaker has worked perfectly. Absolutely no problems. Don't even think of buying one when for under 100 bucks you can get yours repaired. Their quality was exceptional.
Old 02-17-12, 01:18 PM
jimmyalg
Driver School Candidate

I did the silicone about 4 years ago and it is still is good with no buzz. Glue gun fix will melt in the summer.
Old 01-04-13, 02:47 PM
rclark2
Driver School Candidate

How do you disconnect it on a 2002 ES? Thanks!
Old 06-13-13, 05:28 AM
bullmarv
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2002 LS430 with a buzzing rear subwoofer. Since it is the third time after replacng with a new one and used one,I am reluctant to replace it with a stock speaker again. Common sense says this system is flawed. Is there any after market speaker that can be used?

Marv
Old 06-13-13, 05:06 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess the 12 ohm woofer ensures Lexus gets the replacement work. Is not the best real fix to get a new amp and just rum premium sub. Not like we are hurting for dough with an LS to do it right after an abomination OEM. Amp woofer install 5-600 bucks?
Old 07-30-13, 01:59 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone removed rear seat in gs450h or have a how to link?
Old 08-02-13, 10:40 AM
SLLTO
Rookie

i dont know about this...i know its possible and works but it must only be a temp fix

Quick Reply: Cheap repair for rear center subwoofer