LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

sunshade bouncy - any way to stabilize?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 09:19 AM
ThaWatcha
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunshade bouncy - any way to stabilize?

hey guys, was wondering if anyone has a way to stabilize their rear sunshade? im pretty sure everyones is like mine, but it bounces around alot on the freeway. im not so much worried about the life of the sunshade motor, but it looks funny bouncing around all the time... any suggestions? thanks
Old 05-26-10, 11:16 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to know too!
Old 05-26-10, 02:41 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have all your windows open or ?? I have my front driver and passenger open at freeway speed and don't seem to have issues with rear shades moving.
Old 05-26-10, 02:52 PM
ThaWatcha
Driver

doesnt matter, windows closed or open. it bounces with the road on the freeway. just the rear sunshade, not the sides.

Last edited by ThaWatcha; 05-26-10 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added segment
Old 05-26-10, 05:26 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't have any problem at all with any sway or bouncing or even waving of the rear sunshade...windows up or down. I'm on a business trip right now w/o my vehicle, but I THINK there's a plastic rod or plastic line that runs up and down the outter edges (outboard sides) of the shade...or maybe the plastic rod runs across the top of the shade? I have no way of knowing w/o my car.

Does your shade have that plastic line? I can imagine how "wavy" the rear sunshade would be without that rigid plastic line in place, so that's the 1st thing I thought of?
Old 05-26-10, 06:53 PM
TurboTodd
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Over nearly the last 4 years, I haven't noticed any unusual movement from the rear shade, but lately I've noticed that over small bumps, etc I see the shade "bounce" forward a bit and back, maybe 3/4" over bumps, in a linear manner.

Not sure if there is something that can be "tightened", I'll take a look at it over the weekend and report back.
Old 05-27-10, 08:00 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I have also noticed the top of my sunshade bouncing back and forth at the top when hitting bumps on the road. Just assumed it's normal.

I just went and checked my sunshade while it's in the up position. I found that there are small rubber wheels at the top of the arm that raises the shade. However, my shade is not resting against the glass. It's about 1/2 inch from the glass. Being supported at the bottom of the glass, this allows the shade to "bounce" .

Could someone else check this condition and see if this is normal or an indication that something is going wrong with the system?
Old 05-27-10, 10:58 AM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I just went and checked my sunshade while it's in the up position. I found that there are small rubber wheels at the top of the arm that raises the shade. However, my shade is not resting against the glass. It's about 1/2 inch from the glass. Being supported at the bottom of the glass, this allows the shade to "bounce" .
Mine is just as yours, with the wheels about 1/2" from the glass. The wheels could be there for manufacturing variance, so if there is any contact with the rear glass on the way up or down it doesn't scratch or make noise.

One strange thing - I do recall there being a 6" or so piece of white monofilament lying on the rear deck, kind of like weed whacker string, when I first got the car. I didn't think much of it and assumed it was debris from the recent subwoofer replacement they did during certification. My shade operates fine, though it is also somewhat "bouncy" over bumps. I just assumed this was normal.

Looking at how it works with the folding arms, it's hard to see how it could be more rigid. That said I'd also like to know if anyone's little rubber wheels actually touch the glass, or if anyone has one that isn't slightly bouncy.
Old 05-27-10, 04:57 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wheels don't touch the glass. As mentioned, I think they're just there as a precautionary measure. My sunshade doesn't bounce around at all over bumps either. 05' LS430...
Old 05-28-10, 09:52 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

My sunshade also doesn't bounce around while driving. It vibrates a little bit when the subwoofer is putting out a lot of sound though.
Old 05-28-10, 01:58 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm thinking you don't want the wheels rolling on the glass when it goes up and down, as it would undoubtedly leave marks on the glass. Could be there as guides when the shade goes into the down position. Or they could serve as a rubber bumper in the up position, although you wouldn't need wheels for that purpose.

Sounds like having a clearance in the up position is okay and probably as designed. Regardless, I don't consider it a problem or annoyance in my case.
Old 05-31-10, 11:16 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i try not leaving my rear shades up unless I need them. Having them constantly in up position tends to make them more shaky IMO.
Old 06-01-10, 04:44 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I have never noticed my sunshade bouncing - I don't think it does.
Old 06-02-10, 02:52 PM
StlLexusTe
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is normal for the wheels to ride on the glass, they were that way when new. Leaving it up all the time causes the metal frame to "sag" forward over time, creating room for it to bounce around.
Old 07-09-10, 02:03 PM
430drvr
Driver School Candidate

Default Bouncing Sunshade

Sunshade on my '04 LS bounces slightly, one wheel, not both, off the glass and rattles occasionally against the glass. Started at about 60K, after 4 years of driving with it in extended position. Finally took it to dealer today. Their verdict: Sunshade damaged, has to be replaced at approx $1500. I declined, because its not that much of a nuisance. Only issue w/ car since new, but why would a low-wear part on this supremely engineered car go bad like this?

Quick Reply: sunshade bouncy - any way to stabilize?