LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

steering vibrating when drive on "some" highway speed over 70/mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 12:46 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering vibrating when drive on "some" highway speed over 70/mph

I had a 02 LS430(ML I believe), love the ride deeply, but recently I can feel the steering shake or vibrate when I drive one" some highway" when speed over 70/mph. The weird thing is on the " Some highway", I drive to one of my customer's office everyweek, on the way there, the ride is ok with the normal road condition, but on the way back, part of the highway was fixed, and looks very smooth surface, but my steering starts to shake and vibrate. I have no idea how that would happend.

I did go to the discount tire to have them rotate the tires and balance them, but seems the same, now I have two new tires on the back, and two (unmatching brand old tires (75%) on the front,please don't ask me how those tires on the car, long story). But the problems are the same. I ask other mechanics about it, someone told me it is because of the tire are not even, so when drive faster, it creates the problem. But it was kind of the same when the two new tires are on the front, so I am not sure if what he said was true.

I was on business trip to OKLAOMA couple weeks ago, and I was driving the LS, and it felt pretty smooth during the trip, and don't feel much. so I am really confused what the problem is.

was it the two old tires, or some other parts wrong with the car. The milesage is just over 120k, but the engine is so smooth, and don't think it is the problem, anything I should do to check up? I wish not big money spend.

Thanks for any advise.
Old 04-29-10, 03:15 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get all of your suspension parts up front looked at.
Old 04-30-10, 12:05 AM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just curious when you drive and it shakes whats the weather like? even on new roads there can be some vibration. like how the roads constrict or expand depending on the weather. it could be that but im thinking its the tires.
Old 04-30-10, 07:17 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

well, I have drove during the good day and bad days, dry, wet, nice all conditions, sometime I drove two to three time through a week.
Old 04-30-10, 08:33 AM
Gil Smash
Driver

I had the same problem only it was around 55 mph. For me it was only in about a 5 mph window where it shook and it turned out to be the balancing of the wheels. I had gotten them balanced a week or so earlier and i guess one of the weights fell of causing one of the wheels to be out of balance. Either way, it sound like a similar problem that balancing could possibly fix.
Old 05-02-10, 05:39 PM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wheel bearing driver side or pass side
Old 05-02-10, 06:14 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its only on that one stretch of road that was recently repaired, I'd say its the road. Do you have another vehicle you can drive over that same stretch of road to see if it happens with that vehicle?
Old 05-03-10, 07:33 AM
lovelexus2
Rookie

well, it is not just that road, it happens time to time, sometime it drives so fine, then another time, the shaking will come up.
Old 05-07-10, 03:03 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

Take it and it your wheels balanced. If it only happens at a certain speed then its your balancing. If a part on the car is going out then it should happen at all speeds.
Old 05-07-10, 10:15 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Get a road force balance. That should do the trick Not many tire dealers have them so search for one that does.
Old 05-08-10, 09:45 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My Lexus dealer does a road force balance. I just assumed all Lexus dealers did that.
Old 05-08-10, 01:42 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by airtime
Get a road force balance. That should do the trick Not many tire dealers have them so search for one that does.
+1
Old 05-08-10, 02:38 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with the balancing and also suggest making sure in the future ALL four Tires are the same because that can cause issues as well when driving. For the most part it sounds more like a bad balance job when you get the tires rotated or no balance was done at all. L.G.N.M
Old 05-10-10, 03:23 PM
lovelexus2
Rookie

Guys, thanks for the great advise, I went to Discount Tire and ask them to redo the balance, and it is much better now, it still shows a little bit shaking ( just minor) sometime, but overall, the drive has been much better. I just want to say I felt deeply in love with this car. I will get some better tires( matching ones) later on. And another questions, what is the road force balance, what is the difference with the regular balance at the tire store? thanks
Old 05-11-10, 07:14 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

balance wheels.

Quick Reply: steering vibrating when drive on "some" highway speed over 70/mph