LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

normal or sport which will last longer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 02:31 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb normal or sport which will last longer?

Hello Friends,
I have an 03 ultra 90k

I have always driven in sport mode ( in normal the car sways even more not much softer feeling anyway)

sometimes, I hear the pumps turning on. I thought when in sport mode, the air is out of the bags.

I keep in sport mode so the bags/struts last longer ( $1000 each to replace )

am I correct?

also, I used the HIGH mode 2-3 times, never felt any diff at all.
Old 04-27-10, 07:55 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you feel any difference in sport mode? In my '05 ultra, I can't tell a difference (have 18" wheels). It's not like in my LX, which has the hydraulic suspension. The difference between sport and comfort on that is like day and night.
Old 04-27-10, 09:54 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 02 ul i can feel the difference in ride in all 3 setting. More when i had the 17's on, but with the 18's its like high is off limits unless in bumpy terrible roads. I drive normal mode in city and sport on highway to ease the swaying. Sport feels firmer then normal to me going over bumps but curves its plenty room for improvement.
Old 04-28-10, 09:11 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
Do you feel any difference in sport mode? In my '05 ultra, I can't tell a difference (have 18" wheels). It's not like in my LX, which has the hydraulic suspension. The difference between sport and comfort on that is like day and night.

I would love to feel a noticeable difference

I too have 17's bumpy or not, still my old 92 camry ride.
Old 04-28-10, 03:33 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there is confusion about sport mode and air in the bags.

Sport mode changes only the shock absorber settings, via the electric actuators atop each of the 4 shocks. So, in both sport and normal, the air pump will turn on and off as required to keep the car level and at correct ride height according to the weight on board.

At no time will you have no air in the bags; on "high", extra air is added to the bags until the height sensors report to the ECU that the height has increased by the correct amount.
Old 04-29-10, 08:56 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nc356

Sport mode changes only the shock absorber settings, via the electric actuators atop each of the 4 shocks. So, in both sport and normal, the air pump will turn on and off as required to keep the car level and at correct ride height according to the weight on board.

At no time will you have no air in the bags; on "high", extra air is added to the bags until the height sensors report to the ECU that the height has increased by the correct amount.
Does this mean that in sport mode, the suspension won't feel firmer like in a sports car? Is there supposed to be less sway? I can't tell any difference on curvy roads going 50mph. I don't feel any sway, sport mode or not, yet when driving on straightaways at slower speeds like 35mph, when I ride over raised pavement (pavement that's not totally flat due to, say, a tree root making the pavement bulge up), the car will float and bounce a tad over it (won't recover nearly as quickly as my honda prelude SH, but that is a sports car w/ firm suspension). Do you think something is wrong with the sport mode?

PS: when I bought this car, I also test drove a modern luxury and a custom luxury. All felt nearly identical to the UL except the UL is a little more "floaty" feeling. This is why I say I don't feel any difference using sport mode. I'm just wondering if I should, and if something is wrong.
Old 04-30-10, 09:19 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Originally Posted by nc356

thank you. GREAT explanation
Old 04-30-10, 12:03 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

I tried the sport setting the first time last night and I couldn't feel any difference. I did feel a difference, however, when I set it on sport and the height on high!Just not a good one!
Old 05-01-10, 07:10 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

Red face

Originally Posted by VegasIS300
I tried the sport setting the first time last night and I couldn't feel any difference. I did feel a difference, however, when I set it on sport and the height on high!Just not a good one!

when you get a chance, please expand.
Old 05-01-10, 11:36 AM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pacinitaly
when you get a chance, please expand.
I meant that setting your car on "sport" and "height high" is not a very good feeling. Try it. Feels strange!
Old 02-27-12, 05:43 AM
pacinitaly
Driver

it's at 113k

sport off yields 4MPG better
Old 02-27-12, 04:19 PM
lex430drvr
Rookie

I have an 04 UL and from normal to sports mode makes a big difference. I'm sitting on 17s right now but the ride does feel just a bit firmer and a little tighter suspension and steering. i'm assuming that when the sports mode is lowering the vehicle by about an inch, it's actually tightening/compressing the suspension making it stiffer and therefore giving it a lower stance and a little bit of a sportier feel. i never tried it on high before so i really cant say what that feels like.
Old 02-28-12, 06:22 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Sport selection does not change the height of the vehicle, it just provides a stronger damping effect which is suitable for sporty type driving, such as on winding mountain roads and high speed driving.

The high mode raises the vehicle and the damping effect is set slightly firmer. It is suitable for driving on rough roads which are unsurfaced or continually bumpy.

These comments are taken of an 04 manual.