LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Chrome Wheels in Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 04:39 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Chrome Wheels in Winter?

How do the chrome wheels hold up in the winter? While washing the car for the first time today, I noticed that all 4 of the 18" factory chrome wheels have some nasty curb rash. I think they will be wearing winter tires come fall and I'll have to find some nice summer wheels next spring. Darn expensive car wash.
Old 04-10-10, 06:54 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chrome wheels by nature hold up poorly, especially when exposed to road salt and brake dust.
Old 04-10-10, 10:22 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think all chrome with damage is susceptible to further peeling to some degree but different chrome has shown different susceptibility from what I have seen. The aftermarket chrome on my ES300 has some small pits but has held up surprisingly well. Even when I rode them on sanded, snowy roads for a month once.

I think with the LS some chrome was factory done and some done by the dealers so maybe there is a grade difference. Gravel, salt, pressure washing on pitted areas will all advance peeling but if it's already damaged maybe there isn't much to lose?

Maybe if it peels enough you can have the rest sand blasted off and repainted a gun metal to match the Flint Mica for winter rims?
Old 04-11-10, 04:31 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by SteveM
Maybe if it peels enough you can have the rest sand blasted off and repainted a gun metal to match the Flint Mica for winter rims?
I like your thinking.
Old 04-14-10, 01:09 AM
SteveM
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I like your thinking.
I think it could be a look worth considering. When I was picturing your Flint Mica on deep gun metal I might have been subconsciously remembering liking the dark grey on gunmetal look that is popular in my hometown on GTR's and TL A Specs.

I like the continuous look with the dark wheels and the exterior matching.

Any idea what summer wheels you're considering?
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Wheels in Winter?-gun-metal.jpg   Chrome Wheels in Winter?-tl-gun-metal.jpg   Chrome Wheels in Winter?-flat-black-nissan-gt_r-04.jpg  
Old 04-14-10, 05:05 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I will probably stick with something 18" that is close to stock, either chrome or silver. I don't want to spend more than $2K for 4 wheels.
Old 04-14-10, 02:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Chrome has the tendency to start leaking air after a while. Not to mention pealing off and rusting at one point or another depending on manufacturer and quality.

Not to mention, its too shiny and attracts too much attention for my taste.
Old 04-14-10, 05:34 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Caddyowner,

You may want to consider these... Complete set of 4 rims for under $500... They don't have the 18" LS430 rims listed on their website (only the 17"), but they definitely sell the 18". I just bought four to mount Blizzak's on for next winter. Exact same design as OEM. I've bought two complete sets of rims from them in the past and they have been great. The nice thing about them is they have the 60.1mm center hubs so you don't have to use centering rings as with universal fit aftermarket wheels. The company is out of FL. They come in standard silver and hyper-silver. The two sets I've purchased have both been hyper-silver. I think they look great.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-for-Lexus/c304275/

Last edited by JimsGX; 04-14-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 05:53 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Found the 18" LS430's on their website. They're in hyper-black... $509 for the set of four...

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...47638-2-1.html
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Wheels in Winter?-hypersilver-ls430-18-rims.jpg  
Old 04-14-10, 06:14 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Jim, let me know how those wheels look and ride. I'm thinking of the hyperblack for the winter tires.
Old 04-14-10, 06:21 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Damn you guys!! I read this post and now Caddy's car wash is going to cost me! I am definitely putting chromes on mine now. I found a Mercury Metallic on Ebay with factory chromes and it just looks sharp! My only question about the link above is regarding the center caps. I am pretty **** and want the Lexus center but mine aren't chrome and theirs don't have the "L" on them... thoughts? Let's get a bulk purchase from them!!

There are sellers on Ebay who will swap your rims but I would think they are cracker jack jobs...
Old 04-14-10, 06:25 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately they won't be on the vehicle until December since I'm using them for my winters... My past experience with them has been very good. The quality of the finish is very good as well. I think you would be pleased with them.
Old 04-14-10, 06:34 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kg19989
Damn you guys!! I read this post and now Caddy's car wash is going to cost me! I am definitely putting chromes on mine now. I found a Mercury Metallic on Ebay with factory chromes and it just looks sharp! My only question about the link above is regarding the center caps. I am pretty **** and want the Lexus center but mine aren't chrome and theirs don't have the "L" on them... thoughts? Let's get a bulk purchase from them!!

There are sellers on Ebay who will swap your rims but I would think they are cracker jack jobs...
Here are your chrome center caps! $40 on ebay... I bought four of these in silver from this same ebay site for the rims I just bought. I tried the OEM center caps in the new rims and found that they were like a 32nd of an inch too big. So I picked these up and they fit perfectly...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NEW...%3D5%26ps%3D63
Attached Thumbnails Chrome Wheels in Winter?-chrome-center-caps.jpg  
Old 04-14-10, 08:45 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

so the rims from the guys on Ebay are solid?
Old 04-14-10, 08:52 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

ok... you have talked me into it!!!

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheels in Winter?