LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Old 01-14-15, 09:33 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

It's worth mentioning that there seems to be some consistent issues with Lexus dealers and / or independent mechanics that are not following the drain and refill procedure correctly and under-filling the transmission. The technical instructions are included in the beginning of this thread. If you have the this procedure done I suggest you remind the service manager to heat the transmission properly and check the fluids following the proper procedure. It is very easy to under-fill the transmission if you do not do this.

Also, mods can we add this to the FAQ section? It really is important to service the transmission and Lexus North America is just finally coming around admit this and recommend the service. It's unfortunate it has taken as long as it has.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-15-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-15-15, 05:07 AM
deadguy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
It's worth mentioning that there seems to be some consistent issues with Lexus dealers and / or independent mechanics that are not following the drain and refill procedure correctly and under-filling the transmission. The technical instructions are included in the beginning of this thread. If you have the this procedure done I suggest you remind the service manager to heat the transmission properly and check the fluids following the proper procedure. It is very easy to under-fill the transmission if you do not do this.

Also, mods can we add this to the FAQ section? It really is important to service the transmission and Lexus North America is just finally coming around admit this and recommend the service. It's unfortunate it has take as long as it has.
This is one of the examples for others to read about. Thank you for all of your help, Lav.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...sion-saga.html
Old 04-09-15, 01:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just saw this standard BS response from a Lexus customer representative.

You should never replace the transmission fluid, we recommend you to buy a new car instead, the new car come with new transmission fluid, a new car would solve all the problem you are having in your old car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ion-fluid.html
Old 04-11-15, 01:12 AM
amusing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Data 2004 LS @ 125,500 miles but factory recall for nearly new 7,000 mile transmission so this WS ATF really had 118,500 miles ... Nothing wrong...smooth operation but wanted to replace ATF
Dealer Servicing records show this unit had been checked...previous owner always used Dealer...

Out: 10 Qts into a bucket ( combination of pan drain 2.5 Qts and cooler line purge 7.5 Qts
DIY day I'm old school level driveway
14mm drain plug ( which was not tight at all)
and 5mm Allen wrench for "Check" plug (this check plug was gorilla tight)
MaxLife LV Synthetic ( Red Jug )was added to the pan at the refill plug( 24mm )
using a funnel and 3 feet of tubing ...Engine was started with the same quantity in the pan as before so now idling with wheels off the ground.
Moved shift through the gates pausing for a count of 7 at every gear ...stopped engine to check bucket quantity and added fresh ATF sequenced to what had just purged out the cooler line.
Repeated engine start and moved shifter through each gear with a pause for each again like before.
Stopped engine and checked the bucket quantity and added fresh ATF
Placed vehicle back onto the driveway and tested the shifting around the neighboring streets up and down steep hill climbing etc.
All is well
Old 04-11-15, 03:11 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

response was too late for me. taking advice from this forum I had dealer replace fluid. their service was 4 quarts WS fluid and 1 hour labor($165). I had this done at 96,500 after they did not do it as I requested at 95K. I had it done again at 98K and their only response was a reminder that they had just done this a few weeks ago. no mention of what fluid with 96,000 miles and 10 years of Texas heat looked like.anyway I feel better, but I expect that I only freshed my fluid up as some of the second service removed some of the fluid from the 1st time. It would take many more services at this rate to completely clean the fluid, but at least there are some additives there that were not before. I like this car as much as any I have owned in 45 years of driving(and have 2 more years of payments) maybe my fluid is like it was at 4-5 years. or maybe I wasted $330 dollars, time will tell
Old 04-11-15, 03:22 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

my original plan was a 3dr service at 100k to get fluid to 2-3 year old mark and go from there, but now I am not so sure and might skip the 3rd. really would $500 for newer transmission fluid be a waste of money. the 3rd would be removing a larger percentage of the fluid I have already put in. much less benefit on 3rd service. I will hit the 100k mark in the next few days so it is really decision time for me.
Old 04-11-15, 06:38 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
my original plan was a 3dr service at 100k to get fluid to 2-3 year old mark and go from there, but now I am not so sure and might skip the 3rd. really would $500 for newer transmission fluid be a waste of money. the 3rd would be removing a larger percentage of the fluid I have already put in. much less benefit on 3rd service. I will hit the 100k mark in the next few days so it is really decision time for me.
I think that a $500 is a small investment to avoid a potential bill for a new $6,000 transmission. I think you'd have a better idea of what the next step should be if you had a chance to examine the old ATF in each of the last two drains. If you do a third pan drain and fill I'd insist that they show me a sample of the drained fluid so you can check color, odor, visible particulates is any. What a person dos regarding ATF fluid is also based on how long they intend to keep driving the LS. If they intend to sell or trade car around 100-150k miles maybe they leave ATF alone. I love my LS and likely will keep it until the end of the world, or the end of me, - whichever comes first.

My car has 65k on it now and so far the dealer has talked me out of doing an ATF fluid replace telling me no need until 100k miles. I may do it this year or may wait until I hit 90k and do full ATF fluid exchange along with coolant, WP and TB all at once.
Old 04-11-15, 07:30 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have 83K on my 2006 LS 430 and did two drain and fills last August with WS ATF. They were done about 3-4 weeks apart. I am considering doing two more within the next few months. After (4) drain and fills, I should be good for a while. Better safe then sorry.
Old 04-11-15, 09:35 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amusing
Data 2004 LS @ 125,500 miles but factory recall for nearly new 7,000 mile transmission so this WS ATF really had 118,500 miles ... Nothing wrong...smooth operation but wanted to replace ATF
Dealer Servicing records show this unit had been checked...previous owner always used Dealer...

Out: 10 Qts into a bucket ( combination of pan drain 2.5 Qts and cooler line purge 7.5 Qts
DIY day I'm old school level driveway
14mm drain plug ( which was not tight at all)
and 5mm Allen wrench for "Check" plug (this check plug was gorilla tight)
MaxLife LV Synthetic ( Red Jug )was added to the pan at the refill plug( 24mm )
using a funnel and 3 feet of tubing ...Engine was started with the same quantity in the pan as before so now idling with wheels off the ground.
Moved shift through the gates pausing for a count of 7 at every gear ...stopped engine to check bucket quantity and added fresh ATF sequenced to what had just purged out the cooler line.
Repeated engine start and moved shifter through each gear with a pause for each again like before.
Stopped engine and checked the bucket quantity and added fresh ATF
Placed vehicle back onto the driveway and tested the shifting around the neighboring streets up and down steep hill climbing etc.
All is well

Nice work. I also had my transmission replaced under the recall that affected early 04's. Had to do with some pin that holds it in gear when parked on a hill.

Did you notice any metal filings on the magnets. No pics of the pan or fluid? More details please.
Old 04-11-15, 09:45 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

It's a good thing to replace it slowly. It is safer on the transmission. Your dealer should be closer to $100 for the service. Aisin does not recommend dropping the pan unless you need to. The screen / filter I have never read being reported as dirty or clogged but their is not harm in it either. Also recommended you use the preformed gasket rather then a maker. Robots do this in the factory and it is perfect. This way the extra from human hands won't come off inside the transmission.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-11-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-11-15, 09:55 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
response was too late for me. taking advice from this forum I had dealer replace fluid. their service was 4 quarts WS fluid and 1 hour labor($165). I had this done at 96,500 after they did not do it as I requested at 95K. I had it done again at 98K and their only response was a reminder that they had just done this a few weeks ago. no mention of what fluid with 96,000 miles and 10 years of Texas heat looked like.anyway I feel better, but I expect that I only freshed my fluid up as some of the second service removed some of the fluid from the 1st time. It would take many more services at this rate to completely clean the fluid, but at least there are some additives there that were not before. I like this car as much as any I have owned in 45 years of driving(and have 2 more years of payments) maybe my fluid is like it was at 4-5 years. or maybe I wasted $330 dollars, time will tell
You did not waste money. You are doing preventive maintenance. Recommended by Aisin and Lexus. It is a machine with much needed lubrication. The fluid needs to be serviced. There is no need to replace all the fluid at one. Don't think of it that way. It's not like changing the oil. Because of all the additives and how the clutch packs wear in the fluid just do it again every 25k miles or so for the life of the vehicle. This is how LS400 owners can get 400k miles out of a transmission. Consistently refreshing the fluid over the life of the vehicle. Drain and refill's have shown to the best way to maintain the transmission. 3 - 4 quarts at a time.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 04-11-15 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-04-15, 04:10 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just finished my first 3 qt drain and refill. I'm gonna leave the black plastic cover off until I get all the drain and refills done. How many are ya'll gonna do? 3, 4, ?
Old 06-04-15, 05:08 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I have done the two drain and fills which were around 3 quarts each. I measure what comes out and replace the same. I may do another one soon but again, am getting confused on the ATF. Every site I go to pretty much states WS is not a full syn fluid and specs out as a very average ATF. I might just start doing a few drain and fills with Maxlife full syn ATF. The viscosity is very similar and Maxlife is a very thought of ATF at "bobistheoilguy" forum... ALSO, I always have a problem getting both screws in to hold on the cover. I usually only can get the one screw to hold the cover on...
Old 06-04-15, 05:20 PM
gebo
Advanced

I'm using Amsoil's WS fluid. I didn't even try to put the plastic cover back. I will in a week or two after I've drained out 3 qts a few more times. I think I'm gonna drain 3 qts 4 times. I can't do the math but it seems like after that I'll be spending too much money for too little return...
Old 06-06-15, 10:15 AM
gebo
Advanced

Default Sealed Transmission Fluid Change Interval

On your initial ATF change in your '04-'06 LS430, how many times did you drain and replace the 3 qts? I'm trying to decide whether to stop at 3 times (9 qts total) or go one more. I'm not really great at math but I figure I have around 60% new ATF in the tranny after 3 changes. According to my calculations I would only get to 70% with one more 3 qt drain and refill.

Also, how often are you going to do the 3 qt change after the initial change?. Every 10k, 50K?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)