LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 09:14 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
Ditto... I love Maxlife but not in this application.
Didn't use Maxlife. Its a Dex/Merc formula and NOT low viscosity. Also its also suited for T-IV, so it definitely was not in consideration for me in this car. I'll only use a fluid that meets or exceed the JWS 3309/Toyota WS specs.
Old 10-28-14, 10:36 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by writes123
Didn't use Maxlife. Its a Dex/Merc formula and NOT low viscosity. Also its also suited for T-IV, so it definitely was not in consideration for me in this car. I'll only use a fluid that meets or exceed the JWS 3309/Toyota WS specs.
I'm sure that will be fine. I use Maxlife ATF( I believe it specs for WS) in a lot of other vehicles and that is why I mentioned it. I would bet it would be ok for this application but in my own car, I went with WS ATF. I like my 06 LS so much that I did not want to screw around with taking a chance on a different ATF. LOL...
Old 10-28-14, 01:07 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The problem is nobody really knows the levels and what friction modifiers WS fluid uses. Aisin designed the transmission to run on WS fluid. I would personally not put anything but WS fluid based on this alone. I'm not an expert in the field but the cost difference is in no way worth the possibility of damaging the transmission.
Old 10-28-14, 02:29 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The problem is nobody really knows the levels and what friction modifiers WS fluid uses. Aisin designed the transmission to run on WS fluid. I would personally not put anything but WS fluid based on this alone. I'm not an expert in the field but the cost difference is in no way worth the possibility of damaging the transmission.
I whole heartily respect that personal decision in sticking with WS fluid. I personally believe the additives are more to extend the service interval and am using a name brand alternative along with a well-regarded ATF additive along with shorter service intervals. As stated, the car may blow up on me. Then again, maybe not. Only time will tell.
Old 11-01-14, 08:16 PM
writes123
Pole Position

i've attached the aisin recommendations for their fluid service intervals. also, the internal oil strainer is "felt-type" and according to Toyota should not need to be serviced. take that for what you will since the ATF fluid is also a lifetime fill and not to be serviced only checked.
Attached Thumbnails 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)-atf_a2_cfex_afw.jpg  
Old 11-02-14, 12:07 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Documentation of the Lexus recommended 04 - 06 60k mile transmission service.

http://consumer.xtime.com/menu6/?&pr...tic&make=LEXUS
Major service intervals in US miles:

20k Rear Diff Fluid
25k Brake Fluid
40k Super Long Life Coolant
60k ATF
90k Timing Belt
120k Iridium Spark Plugs

Of note is the rear diff fluid change and especially the SLLC change intervals. Always nice to have a competing view for preventative maintenance.
Old 11-26-14, 10:42 AM
ozarksbuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy way to fill 04 LS430 transmission fluid after filter change

I hope this helps, I have used several tips from this forum and wanted to contribute
Old 11-26-14, 10:46 AM
ozarksbuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy way to fill 04 LS430 transmission fluid after filter change

I have an 04 LS430 for about a year, love the car! I don't believe in forever anything, so I started reading about the trans fluid on my baby. There are several very good post, but the methods seemed strange to impossible for one guy to do. So, I used this method and I believe it worked quite well. I have driven the car and the trans is behaving just like it should. My LS430 has 94k on it and I had no trans issues but the fluid issue was bothering me for a while. I also pull a very light utility trailer once in a " while. So I was getting concerned about the "forever fluid". So after reading everything here on it, I picked up a trans fluid and filter, originally I bought it from Oriely's and then called Toyota and it was $6 buck cheaper a quart at the dealer, go figure.LOL
Here's the method I used: when you dump the pan and filter I've read 2.4 quarts are required to refill. So picked up 3 quarts at the Yota dealer
1)Drained the pan, then unscrewed all the pan bolts and slowly tipped into a
in the collection pan. There is a lot still the pan that the drain hole leaves behind so be aware when you drop the pan. Clean your pan and magnets and hopefully there is not much clutch left behind. Mine was very clean, just very dirty fluid.
2)Then pull your filter bolts and easy wiggle it out.
3) Install new filter and make sure your oring seal is in place
4) Place the pan with new gasket
5) remove the overfill bolt from the bottom of the pan
6) use a one gl hand pump in Yota trans fluid bottles and pump it in through the over fill hole. 1-2 quarts no measuring. -- amazon sells these type of pumps, 1 gallon hand pump with small hose. I happen to have one with a yellow fitting that screwed right into the overfill hole. However, simple push a rubber hose into the hole and pump the fluid in.
7) start the car and the gear selector in drive and revers a few times to load the torqconverter and other components.
8) With the car running put the gear selector in Reverse, set the emergency brake and begin filling the overfill tube with the hand pump. Watch the fluid level in the court bottle. When you get to .4 quarts pull your hose and see if fluid comes out if not add, if so it needs to be more then a slow drip and less then a stream. I would descibe it as a stream of drips. Then put the selector in drive and repeat. Then one more pump for good measure and your done!
I used 2.6 quarts on my filter-fluid change.

Originally Posted by ozarksbuck

I hope this helps, I have used several tips from this forum and wanted to contribute
Old 11-26-14, 11:20 AM
writes123
Pole Position

When I recently did this procedure, I drained around around 1 qt more. It's possible that the Lexus dealer that did a Drain and Fill overfilled it a bit as when I took out the overflow plug after getting the car level, around 0.5 qt or so flowed out of the cold tranny. I also got around 0.5-0.8 qt more from removing the pan AND filter than from a simple drain. Mine had only 3 magnets though there are 4 magnet spaces on the pan. Also, I opted for a gravity pour using a long tubing with funnel to feed it from the hood area rather than pump it from a fluid pump. My largest struggle was removing that 24 mm fill bolt. Took me over a week to figure out how to navigate that small area for a ratchet and socket. I eventually used a a large combination wrench that i was somehow able to adequately grab the bolt head. I was and am concerned with stripping the bolt head since it is definitely strippable. Of note, proper procedure is to measure the fluid when the tranny fluid is at operating temperature range. From my understanding, hotter fluid will increase in volume vs cold fluid so there's a slight chance of overfilling if the tranny fluid is not in operating temp during fluid check. I also replaced the shallow 24 mm WS bolt with a custom made deeper head 19 mm bolt for future fluid changes. I plan on changing mine on a regular basis.
Old 11-26-14, 01:04 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Makes me happy that I have an 03 with the old fashioned dip stick.
Old 11-29-14, 09:43 AM
writes123
Pole Position

"The next hurdle may be determining when it’s appropriate to change the ATF. Vehicle manufacturers promise longer transmission service intervals; some even promise 100,000-mile intervals. Are these recommendations realistic? Like most other maintenance recommendations, they’re based on the concept of “normal” vehicle service. When the vehicle is operated under “severe service” conditions, the ATF change interval may drop to as few as 12,000 miles. The reason for this wide range of recommendations is fluid oxidation. In theory, the factory-fill ATF could provide 100,000 miles of service if the fluid’s normal operating temperature stays close to 170°F for all or most of those miles. But if operating conditions routinely take the ATF above that temperature, the oxidation rate doubles and the useful life of the fluid is cut in half with each 20° increase in temperature. So a transmission that’s operating at average temperatures in excess of 300° could “use up” its ATF due to oxidation in less than 1000 miles"
Old 11-29-14, 12:02 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

If the ATF drain and fill is easy to do, I do it every oil change or two.
Cheap insurance.
Old 12-01-14, 04:59 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That PDF also seems to recommend a flush (see box at bottom of middle column) which everyone on here agrees should NOT be done. This PDF is in km and matches the km interval in the Canadian LS430's owners manual. The US version and many dealers say to leave our US spec car's transmissions alone, only check. I vote to follow the owners manual.
Old 12-01-14, 07:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
That PDF also seems to recommend a flush (see box at bottom of middle column) which everyone on here agrees should NOT be done. This PDF is in km and matches the km interval in the Canadian LS430's owners manual. The US version and many dealers say to leave our US spec car's transmissions alone, only check. I vote to follow the owners manual.
Depends on the situation. There are multiple types of transmission flushing machines. Plus, if you flush and / or change the transmission early it's not a concern. Flushing an old transmission with old fluid can be a concern, obviously. I thought you understood the logic behind this.

That Aisin document does not necessarily pertain to our exact transmission. What it does clearly state is that the manufacturer of the transmission wants you to change the fluid. The intervals set by LEXUS is every 60K miles.

Lexus, everywhere else in the world, besides the U.S. alone, wants you to change the fluid. Asian wants you to change the fluid... What it says in your US only owners manual is a marketing ploy Pamperme. It's just plain and simple. There is no such thing as lifetime fluid. If you want to take care of the transmission then make sure to service it. Just like any other vital part of the car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8737295

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 01-14-15 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-01-14, 01:43 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I honestly wouldn't put any stock into that Aisin advertisement, it was meant to push Aisin fluid and is marketing material for shops to use.

I can almost guarantee you Aisin transmission engineers did not design this, it was some marketing team. As noted, it also pushes fluid flush machines (not drain and fill) and is also saying you should change your transmission fluid every 12,000 miles (20k km) which is just wasteful.

It's just about moving Aisin product, no different than if say Penzoil had a poster in a Jiffy lube about changing your oil every 3,000 miles.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Sealed Transmission fluid change interval? (The Mother thread)