LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

red oily fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 01:39 PM
kelleher2
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default red oily fluid leak

I live in AZ and when it starts to get hot i end up with fluid on my gargae floor. The fluid is red and oily. It appears to be comming from the front middle of the engine compartment. It only happens when it is hot above 80. Is it coolant over flow?
Old 04-01-10, 01:55 PM
Bellex
Pit Crew

Transmission Fluid My Friend... check the transmission fluid level (behind the oil dipstick if i remember correctly... brown colored dipstick)

Good Luck..
Old 04-01-10, 02:08 PM
kelleher2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bellex
Transmission Fluid My Friend... check the transmission fluid level (behind the oil dipstick if i remember correctly... brown colored dipstick)

Good Luck..
the dip stick was out slightly. It is comming from the very front of the car. I thought it was Coolant,becasue it only leaks when it get warms
Old 04-01-10, 02:13 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Define oily. Transmission fluid and the Toyota coolant are both reddish in color. The transmission fluid being thicker, more viscious, while the coolant more "watery." If you just feel the coolant, it might feel somewhat "oily."

If you have '04-'06 LS, it has the World Standard (WS) sealed trans and there is no dipstick to check the fluid level. Easy to see if coolant, just open the radiator when cold and check the reservior and check levels.
Old 04-01-10, 02:17 PM
kelleher2
Rookie

your description is brilliant..watery and oily is what it is. So must be coolant,but why does it only leak when its hot? is it the over flow from the radiator
Old 04-01-10, 02:23 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kelleher2
your description is brilliant..watery and oily is what it is. So must be coolant,but why does it only leak when its hot? is it the over flow from the radiator
There are only 3 red fluids in the car: transmission fluid (Type T-IV for 01-03, WS for 04-06), coolant (red or orange, depending on if your car is a 01-03 (long life) or 04-06 (super long life)), and power steering fluid (OEM is kind of translucent yellow, replacement is dextron II/III ATF). If it's coolant, it's from the overflow tank. The fluid expands when the engine is hot, plus the radiator cap valve opens to relieve the pressure and allows the fluid to flow into the overflow tank. When the coolant in the engine cools, it sucks some of the fluid back in, so you'll see the coolant level in the bottle rise when hot, drop when cool. It should stabilize between the high and low levels. If it continues to drop even after you add more coolant, something is wrong. PS: only use toyota long life (red, for 80-03) or super long life (04-10) vehicles. The red should be mixed w/ 50-50 distilled water. Do not use tap water (most dealers do), and do not mix coolant colors (clogs the radiator over time despite dealers telling you it's ok).
Old 04-01-10, 02:29 PM
kelleher2
Rookie

Thanks for the explanation. Coolant is my guess. So do you think at oil change the coolant was over filled? It did the same thing last summer also
Old 04-01-10, 04:47 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the pressure cap on the expansion tank is original, you may want to consider replacing it. It may not be holding pressure as when it was new.
Old 04-01-10, 05:29 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

This may be totally old school...like when asbestos was used for fireproofing..lol, but you can also TASTE what it is. Just take your fingertip and barely touch the fluid. Put it to your tongue. Tranny fluid will most likely taste like it's a little "burned"...while coolant will taste "sweet". That sweet taste is also why some animals mistakenly lap up spilled/discarded antifreeze/coolant on the ground!!!!

I am not kidding with this.

I don't know your family history/allergy records/etc, so maybe you should just take my advice with a grain of salt. lol.

I say try it.........but do it at your own risk. <---my disclaimer

ps....not sure what power steering fluid tastes like. Maybe JimChow does? lol

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 04-01-10 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 07:33 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
This may be totally old school...like when asbestos was used for fireproofing..lol, but you can also TASTE what it is. Just take your fingertip and barely touch the fluid. Put it to your tongue. Tranny fluid will most likely taste like it's a little "burned"...while coolant will taste "sweet". That sweet taste is also why some animals mistakenly lap up spilled/discarded antifreeze/coolant on the ground!!!!

I don't know your family history/allergy records/etc, so maybe you should just take my advice with a grain of salt. lol.

I just smell the fluids. The PS fluid will get a burnt smell and look either dark ruby red or a thick dark brown/yellow. The coolant will have the consistency of water but feel slippery on the fingers. I don't taste the fluids. There are two types of coolant, one is very toxic and causes organ failure while the other isn't. Toyota coolant is the toxic type. FYI, differential fluids stink like no other fluid in the car and is thick yellow.
Old 04-02-10, 02:17 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.

Coolant is HIGHLY toxic and can kill you in small quantities. I strongly suggest you smelling it, or rubbing it between your index and thumb.

If its from the front of the car, its most likely coolant (could be power steering line since it goes out there to cool) but since it only happens on warmer days most likely your coolant.

Check to see if the reserve tank cover is sealed.