LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Picking Nits

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 07:20 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

How about the GLOVEBOX design??? Wait until the 1st time you get pulled over and there's a passenger in your LS...
Old 03-30-10, 07:30 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I'll let you pick the rest of your nits in peace. For now.
Old 03-30-10, 07:46 PM
wildace
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i agree with the annoying wipers1!!
Old 03-30-10, 08:22 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The only thing I can crab about on my car is the silly headrests that move up on their own when I adjust the seat. They never automatically move down only up. In a virtually perfect ergonomically designed car like the LS the automatic headrests are definitely a fat turd in the punchbowl.
Old 03-30-10, 09:32 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

You guys are forgetting that when you move your seat back the headrest goes up in proportion to the height of the tall folk's head. If it stays low, the tall folks will sue b/c it acts like a fulcrum and major neck injuries in a rear-ender accident....................we had an old thread on this.........dang that was a mouthful

If you set it to memory driver's 1 and 2, you won't have this problem

I agree with the damn wiper thing.

Why have 2.............2 identical temperature setting on the clock AND the gauge cluster????

STUPID cup holder design

Other than the 3, I love my LS
Old 03-30-10, 11:19 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad wipers

I agree with wipers. They don't defrost in the snow or ice, so mines got stuck on the windshield last snow storm. Im using Tricon at the present time. It was so hard to put the new ones on,i had to get them to change em in the parking lot. and he had time getting em on to. Yea and that headrest thing VERY ANNOYING !!!
Old 03-30-10, 11:42 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about this one.... My drivers seat reclines less than the passenger seat..........am i the only one???
Old 03-31-10, 01:39 AM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
How about when the automatic headrests move up when you adjust your seat slightly? Always having to adjust the headrest gets annoying.
I hadn't noticed this until I read it here and went and sure enough... LOL

Wipers and glove box design are kind of problematic. If you get pulled over as DE says you might have to get touchy with your passenger while getting into the box. Could be good or questionable LOL.

During snow removal it would be better if the wipers would fold up somehow so you could clear out the base of the windshield gutter. I can't see excess melting into that area to be beneficial. Enough leakage and a blower motor freeze might happen... Again (once on my ES).. in -30C... in Jan.

BTW where exactly is the blower motor located? So maybe I can forget worrying about that?
Old 03-31-10, 04:21 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
How about the GLOVEBOX design??? Wait until the 1st time you get pulled over and there's a passenger in your LS...
ditto, my indash DVD changer is in there, opens just enough to change disc's and thats about it (w/ front passenger). the design really prohibits more Knee Room, but they only measure Leg Room...
Old 03-31-10, 04:27 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How about the display for the mileage and fuel computer on the steering wheel. I would rather have the temp controls or cruise right at my finger tips than the other info I use less frequently.
Old 03-31-10, 05:08 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought my sunglass holder was the only one open sloooooow, in my wifes RX the thing drops soon as you hit the release button. Agree with...

-Glovebox
-Headrest
-Wipers
-2 Outside Temps (Y??)
-Cup Holders (Are the worst design next to my old 97 4Runner's that blocked the vents)

Other than that love the car!
Old 03-31-10, 05:27 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
-2 Outside Temps (Y??)
-Cup Holders (Are the worst design next to my old 97 4Runner's that blocked the vents)
Outside temp on IC: There is only one temp display when I have the adaptive cruise control turned on. For ML and premium cars, can you display something other that outside temp on the IC?

Cup holders: I agree on this one. My ID and parking structure badges used to live in my cup holder. I'm still looking for a convenient spot for those in my LS.
Old 03-31-10, 07:14 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
How about the wiper blades can not physically be lifted up and away from the windsheld? That's only another NIT to pick for the northern owners (who experience snow)!..or to the clean windshield freaks who prefer NOTHING touching the glass as it's being cleaned???

+1
Old 03-31-10, 07:25 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Outside temp on IC: There is only one temp display when I have the adaptive cruise control turned on. For ML and premium cars, can you display something other that outside temp on the IC?

On the ML package IC display is Temp or nothing, oh I forgot the park assist is displayed there as well.
Old 03-31-10, 08:35 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

- The seat cooling function in my 2002 UL isn't as strong as I would like.
- Removal of Nav Override in Gen3 map updates (at least starting at 7.1).
- Puddle lamps on side mirrors are not bright enough.
- Fog lights aren't bright enough.
- Diminished sensitivity of smog sensor over time.
- Power headlamp washers are not aimed optimally or are too powerful. Mine spray the lights, hood, roof, and some of the trunk. Not sure how great washer fluid is for paint protection.
- Power mirror switch contact corrosion. Can be identified by reverse tilt-down function not working until you jiggle the Left Mirror/Right Mirror switch (without actually switching anything).
- The trunk doesn't pop up high enough when released.
- Front seat cupholders are too small
- Agree with sunroof comments.
- Agree with headrest comments. Lexus repair manuals say to Initialize Driver Power Seat every time you reconnect the battery. I don't do this - could this cause the problem? Otherwise, what is the purpose of this initialization, since the seats appear to work fine?

I have no complaints about the wipers, lighting, glovebox, door handles, or sunglasses compartment.

Quick Reply: Picking Nits