LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 07:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean

The LS430 I bought from BMW of Bellevue, Washington is back from the body shop and clean as a whistle. Thanks to all for your advice, and especially to Airtime for checking it out for me, taking pics, and recommending a mechanic to inspect the car. In addition to the pic below, I'll post some before and after pics of the body damage in later posts in this thread.

My goal was to find a flint mica (1st choice) or silver (2nd choice) 05 or 06 CL with black interior and about 30K miles. The budget, without tax and plates, was $35K for a CPO unit or $33K for the right non-CPO unit. Here are the cost components (as I remember them) on this car:

$25,500 - Sale price
$150 - Doc fee
$110 - Mechanics inspection in WA
$50 - Applebee's gift card for Airtime
$900 - Transportation from WA to MI
$50 - Tip for truck driver
$1,163 - Lexus service: 30K maint, steering wheel switches, cabin air filter
$3,216 - Body shop charges
-------
$31,139
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-ls430-rf.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:10 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Here are before and after pics of the gouge on the right rear door and quarter panel. Airtime spotted this right away and took a bunch of pics.

When I was formatting the after pic, I noticed what looked like a spot on the quarter front edge of the quarter panel that wasn't right. It's probably the location of the repair, but I can't see it on the car - only in the pic. It probably is reflecting the sunlight differently.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-side-scrape-before.jpg   LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-side-scrape-fixed.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:13 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The back edge of the trunk lid was the first thing I noticed. I wondered if it appeared after Airtime looked at the car since I don't think he sent any pics of it. Whatever, it's fixed now.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-trunk-lid-original.jpg   LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-trunk-lid-fixed.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:16 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The right corner of the rear bumper was ugly with a broken parking sensor, a scrape, and crazed paint. All fixed now.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-r-rear-bumper-before.jpg   LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-r-rear-bumper-fixed.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:19 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

I spotted this problem with the left rear bumper when I was taking pics of the trunk lid. Oops, more park-by-bump problems.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-l-rear-bumper-before.jpg   LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-l-rear-bumper-fixed.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:20 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car at your price point, congrats !
Old 03-27-10, 07:21 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The left front bumper had some scrapes and what looked like white pavement paint. Now, fixed. In the after pic, pardon the reflection of mud spots on the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-l-front-before.jpg   LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-l-front-fixed.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:24 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Finally, Michigan doesn't require a front plate, so the ugly front plate mount and the even uglier holes that were underneath had to go.
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-front-plate-before.jpg   LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean-front-plate-fixed.jpg  
Old 03-27-10, 07:45 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

In addition, there were a couple other minor paint problems and the driver door sill that the shop, Lawrence Auto Body in Brighton, MI, took care of. They did not have the lowest quote, but they did a great job with my 04 CTS in the past. I'm glad I went with them.
Old 03-28-10, 03:10 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i hope the inside doesn't/didn't look like the outside (b-4 the repairs)... i wonder if it was a female driver... i can't stand it when people don't know how to take care of/appreciate nice things...
Old 03-28-10, 03:54 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
... i wonder if it was a female driver...
Gasp, how can you say such a thing in this age of PC-ness? LOL I deduced the same from package scratches on the trunk lid and fingernail scratches inside the driver's door handle. It was confirmed by the ghost image of an insurance card on the clear vinyl inside the owner's manual folder.

BTW, the interior is / was in much better shape. The only issue I've noticed are some minor scratches on the center ashtray door - which I plan to replace with a padded compartment. (I'll have to see if the grain matches.)

Last edited by caddyowner; 03-28-10 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 05:27 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The car looks great Caddyowner... I really like the color.

I have the local Dent Wizard shop on retainer for my wife's 08 ES350...!
Old 03-28-10, 05:34 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The rehabbed LS looks great. Excellent color.

Lexus dealers I have talked to assert that a previous female owner is an advantage in a used car in that they say female owner cars in general have a lot less interior wear and staining than a predominantly male driven car and usually (but not always) have been driven more gently, so the mechanicals have less wear and tear per mile.

As for exterior scratches all bets are off - my step daughter's 2005 Civic has had literally every body panel on that car scratched and/or dented (and both mirrors knocked loose) in various and numerous minor to moderate mishaps, except for the roof (so far). I'm gonna start calling her Captain Crunch.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-28-10 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 08:08 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

They did a great job, what is killing me is the previous owner clearly did not use the parking sensors or ignored beeping.
Old 03-28-10, 02:40 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job on the fixes Caddy! I starting to like that color also. It looks better in person too. I know this is not on topic but how do those goodyear rsa's ride? Replacing my noisy Hancooks soon and wanted different opinions on different tires.

Quick Reply: LS430 - Home from Rehab and Clean