How to remove ignition lock cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 06:46 AM
ebullister
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to access ignition lock cylinder for removal

Originally Posted by ebullister
Yes, but how to access the top of the cylinder? The manual shows how to press down on the release only after the whole steering column is disassembled. I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Do you have to take apart the dashboard to acess the release? Which parts of the dashboard? I tried to pry stuff out but it looks like I will damage the dashboard if I continue. If anybody knows the specific steps needed to access the release I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
I FIGURED IT OUT. First, pry out the small "TRIP RESET" panel (see first figure below). Then bend forward the dashboard. (see second figure). You can see the "customized" small screwdriver bent so that it goes down in the hole to release the pin.
Attached Thumbnails How to remove ignition lock cylinder?-2.jpg   How to remove ignition lock cylinder?-1.jpg  
Old 12-07-16, 12:41 AM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ntran18
Insert the key. Turn to ACC. Press down the release pin on top of the cylinder and pull out the lock.
Will be trying to replace the ignition lock assy. But what if you have the dreaded issue where the ignition lock is stuck and can't be turned with the key to the ACC position?
Old 12-07-16, 11:38 AM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tranft
Will be trying to replace the ignition lock assy. But what if you have the dreaded issue where the ignition lock is stuck and can't be turned with the key to the ACC position?
Lots of WD40 and an assortment of drill bits. Start small and work your way bigger. Drill until you can remove the pin from the bottom. Once the cylinder gives any indication of a problem it should be replaced. I had to drill out the one on my Toyota pickup and it's a pretty common failure among all high mileage Toyotas.
Old 12-07-16, 03:37 PM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
Lots of WD40 and an assortment of drill bits. Start small and work your way bigger. Drill until you can remove the pin from the bottom. Once the cylinder gives any indication of a problem it should be replaced. I had to drill out the one on my Toyota pickup and it's a pretty common failure among all high mileage Toyotas.
Ok thanks! Last time we spayed some graphite in there and waited a few days. We'll see if we have any luck this time.
Old 12-07-16, 04:10 PM
911LE
Instructor

Received 226 Likes on 157 Posts

You do understand that I'm talking about completely destroying your existing lock cylinder to remove it, right? Once they lock up there is no repairing them and if you can't move it to the ACC position to remove it it must be drilled out. I would have a new cylinder set up for your existing key before you start drilling. There is no going back once you start. And be prepared for a huge pile of greasy shavings as you drill bigger. Have some needle nose pliers on hand to remove bits and pieces as they fall down and don't drill too deep.
Old 12-09-16, 11:52 AM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 911LE
You do understand that I'm talking about completely destroying your existing lock cylinder to remove it, right? Once they lock up there is no repairing them and if you can't move it to the ACC position to remove it it must be drilled out. I would have a new cylinder set up for your existing key before you start drilling. There is no going back once you start. And be prepared for a huge pile of greasy shavings as you drill bigger. Have some needle nose pliers on hand to remove bits and pieces as they fall down and don't drill too deep.
Well the AAA tow truck driver towed it to a local shop and they were able to rebuild the existing cyclinder for $200. If it breaks again I will replace the lock cylinder with a new one. Thx!