LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Should I drive cross country in my 2005 LS430?
YES! Do it! The LS430 can take it. It would be exciting and memorable!
86.96%
NO! Fly to the schools & get a rental. You 'd run into trouble during a voyage like that!
10.87%
YES! Do it! The LS430 can handle it, but don't invite the girlfriend to drive back home.
2.17%
YES! Do it because I'm hoping you'll get lost so you never post on Club Lexus again!
0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

cross country trip, AND BACK in the LS430

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-10, 12:57 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default cross country trip, AND BACK in the LS430

So..I learned this weekend that I will be attending C-17 crew chief school with the Air Force Reserves. It is a 3 month long school, with the 1st school located at Sheppard AFB, TX (located in Wichita Falls). After that 5 week school, I have 6 days to report to McChord AFB, WA (located near Tacoma).

After 2 months of schooling in Washington state, I would be on my way to becoming a C-17 Crew Chief, and driving back to Delaware.

My question and poll to you is the following---

Should I DRIVE for this evolution of training? The first leg (without stops) takes ~23 hours (1,500 miles). The second leg (without stops) takes ~ 30 hours (2,000 miles). The last and final leg back home, literally driving cross country takes ~41 hours (2,800 miles).

So, again...should I drive the 2005 LS430 (I'd be using/relying on the LS's navigation exclusively, for this monumental voyage)...or should I just fly and get a rental car in the cities? I will be authorized a rental car for the 2 months school in Washington state, but probably not for the first school. If I wanted a rental car, it would come out of my pocket.

Again...my LS has ~56,000 miles on her. All 4 tires have at least 10,000? miles left on them. I plan on changing my oil+filter w/synthetic and replacing the engine air filter a couple days before departing, if I elect to drive. I haven't had any reliability problems with the LS since owning her for almost a year...knock on wood.

My thoughts are on the final leg home, my girlfriend would fly out and meet me in Tacoma, and then we would take our good ole time and drive cross country, back to the east coast, and back home to Delaware.

I am including 3 screenshots of the 3 legs of travel so you can get a feel for the significance of the undertaking. They are in PDF format. Take a look at the undertaking before you vote!

I could probably tolerate driving 12 hours a day..as I've driven many times from Memphis, TN to Delaware (stopping only several times for food/gas.)

Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on the cross country voyage (2x!) and how the LS would tolerate it.........

PS...this departing (Leg1) trip would be late April...and the return (Leg3) trip would be late July. Just when is TORNADO season again? lol.

PPS...I don't mind about the accumulation of miles on the vehicle. Also, age factor----I am turning 39 this year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Leg1.pdf (324.9 KB, 330 views)
Leg2.pdf (300.9 KB, 376 views)
Leg3.pdf (311.5 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 03-08-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 01:20 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll enjoy having your car in both places and the per diem and money you'll get back is going to be great! You'll probably enjoy McChord a bit better than Sheppard also.
Old 03-08-10, 01:24 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they can swing a rental for you or if you can get one for a small amount of $$$ at each location i would prolly go that route so as to not put so many miles on the LS.

i voted to fly and get the rental, but i don't think you'll run into problems just that it would be easier to rent and fly then drive,,, plus the above statement ^ ^ ^.

Last edited by sojah; 03-08-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 01:27 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I think deciding whether to do long distance road trips one important factor is how old you are - I'm 55 and would not think about doing all those miles in any car. My back just can't take multiple 8-10 hrs drives in a row. But when I was 30-35 it would have been no problem. You should relook your estimates its very tough to average better than 60mph (including stops) over long distances.

Another factor is the general crappy-ness of visiting all those rest stops, nasty restaurants, and interstate motels. The days of finding cool or even semi-clean places to stop and eat and stay in America are pretty much long gone.

Final factor is cost - you can count on approx .50 mile just to drive the LS, not counting food, hotels, incidentals. It might be cheaper and a lot easier to fly.

And all that's assuming you don't have an accident or blowout, hit a deer etc. And that no one steals, vandalizes, or breaks into your car while on the road. A 2005 LS430 will stand out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-08-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-08-10, 01:29 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by sojah
if they can swing a rental for you or if you can get one for a small amount of $$$ at each location i would prolly go that route so as to not put so many miles on the LS.

i voted to fly and get the rental, but i don't think you'll run into problems just that it would be easier to rent and fly then drive,,, plus the above statement ^ ^ ^.
Point well taken. I am going to edit the post that I really don't mind about accumulating of the miles.
Old 03-08-10, 01:32 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I think deciding whether to do long distance road trips one important factor is how old you are - I'm 55 and would not think about doing all those miles in any car. My back just can't take multiple 8-10 hrs drives in a row. But when I was 30-35 it would have been no problem. You should relook your estimates its very tough to average better than 60mph (including stops) over long distances.

Another factor is the general crappy-ness of visiting all those rest stops, nasty restaurants, and interstate motels. The days of finding cool or even semi-clean places to stop and eat and stay in America are pretty much long gone.

Final factor is cost - you can count on approx .50 mile just to drive the LS, not counting food, hotels, incidentals. It might be cheaper and a lot easier to fly.

And all that's assuming you don't have an accident or blowout, hit a deer etc. And that no one steals, vandalizes, or breaks into your car while on the road. A 2005 LS430 will stand out like a sore thumb.
Good points also. Thanks for the opinion. I just posted my age (38) and think I am physically fit for the extended seated position...even though my RL seats were more comfy.
Old 03-08-10, 01:34 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
You'll enjoy having your car in both places and the per diem and money you'll get back is going to be great! You'll probably enjoy McChord a bit better than Sheppard also.
Very interesting! Sounds like you've been there and I may be following in your footsteps? I will PM you...
Old 03-08-10, 01:54 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Slightly off topic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpYVfHTajOg

For those of us in the USA - don't forget to support our troops.
Old 03-08-10, 02:10 PM
slvrboolet
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i voted yes until i read how far. SCREW THAT just fly not a chance in hell i would drive for that long.
Old 03-08-10, 04:50 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can estimate the number of miles left on your tires like that, replace them. (Or maybe do it in Texas.) Then, drive the LS430. Advantages:

- You can take whatever you want and however much you want without regard to airline regulations. With the car you can take guns, ammo, golf clubs, extra clothes, a gallon of shampoo, whatever floats your boat.

- You have your own car to drive and enjoy at each location rather than a crappy rental car.

- The travel will not be during the winter months, so weather should not be a big deal.

- If you don't have one already, it's a good reason to get a Vaistech system or whatever to be able to listen to lots of tunes or books.

I'm sure I could think of a bunch of other reasons. I know if I was going away for multiple months anywhere in North America, I'd drive there.
Old 03-08-10, 05:06 PM
adams430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove cross-country 3 times in the GTI I used to have. I loved it - road trips are fun. The LS seems like a dream for long distance trips - comfortable, smooth, quiet, and reliable. Can you imagine getting a rental car that you'd be happier with? The only thing that would make me think otherwise would be if you don't get reimbursed for miles - taking your own car could end up being a significantly more expensive proposition. If you don't mind the cost, I'd say do it.
Old 03-08-10, 05:17 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Smile

Too bad you can't take the C-17.

Anyhow, I hope you have satellite radio - That will make the trip a lot more bearable. I'll be leaving on a long trip soon in the 04 LS on a big loop to Kansas City, then Dallas, then NOLA, and then home. Not as long as your trip, but I'll probably deposit about a thousand farts in the drivers seat by the time I get back.
Old 03-08-10, 05:21 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by ayonnebay
Too bad you can't take the C-17.

Anyhow, I hope you have satellite radio - That will make the trip a lot more bearable. I'll be leaving on a long trip soon in the 04 LS on a big loop to Kansas City, then Dallas, then NOLA, and then home. Not as long as your trip, but I'll probably deposit about a thousand farts in the drivers seat by the time I get back.
LMAOOOOO!!!! I seriously laughed out loud for about 9 seconds straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-10, 05:38 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
..Final factor is cost - you can count on approx .50 mile just to drive the LS, not counting food, hotels, incidentals.
Curious how you calculated $.50/mile? What formula would you use, assuming (an average) of $3.00/gallon for fuel?
Old 03-08-10, 06:32 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
LMAOOOOO!!!! I seriously laughed out loud for about 9 seconds straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heheh ... Thank God for perforated seats !

Quick Reply: cross country trip, AND BACK in the LS430