LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Which Way to Go with Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 01:09 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Which Way to Go with Wheels?

As the Lexus service manager said, it appears that the previous owner of my car didn't know how to park. (I found a new scrape and crazed paint today on the LR bumper.) All of the factory 18" chrome wheels (except the unused spare) have some curb rash and one is nastier than the rest with bad rash and some gouges on one of the spokes. (attached)

My plans (and non-plans) for this car:

- It will be a daily driver w/ about 20-25K per year, but I will be fairly **** about how it looks.
- It will not be lowered or have any other suspension mods.
- It will have a set of summer wheels / tires and a set of winter wheels / tires. I will probably not drive it on really bad days in the winter.
- The current tires are brand new (GY Eagle RS-A) and will probably be OK for summer tire use, but they aren't my favorite. They will likely get noisy as the miles go up and have mediocre wet traction.

Some wheel / tire options I'm considering:

A - Swap the bad wheel for the spare, moving the new tire to the good wheel. Use the current wheels for summer use. Replace the GY tires when needed. Buy some 17" silver wheels and winter tires.

B - Run the current wheels for this summer. In the fall, pull off the GY tires and put winter tires on the current wheels. Next spring, buy new 18" wheels and mount the current GY tires on them.

C - Same as B above, but next spring, buy new wheels and tires and consider a different size, like 19".

What suggestions do you have?

Also, does anyone know the weight of the factory 18" chrome wheels?

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Which Way to Go with Wheels?-ls-wheel-scrape.jpg   Which Way to Go with Wheels?-ls-rf.jpg  
Old 03-06-10, 11:05 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just have all wheels re-surfaced and use them for winter and summer
Old 03-07-10, 04:04 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^
Two body shops have told me that the factory chrome wheels can not be refinished in a reliable, quality manner. Painted wheels, no problem. But, both shops said I would never be satisfied with repairs to the chrome wheels.
Old 03-07-10, 06:19 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I have seen a wheel source online in the past that will send you a new (re-manufactured) set of wheels, you pay their price upfront, and then you send them your old wheels back (they repair and manufacturer to sell to someone else) - not sure what it costs or if they are still up and running that deal. It may be that they won't do it with wheels that have been chromed.