LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Legal Advice

Old 02-28-10, 11:52 AM
LS617
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Legal Advice

Hi Guys - Yesterday I was at a local car dealership taking a look at LS430. I popped the hood to to inspect the engine area with the sales guy and everything looked fine. Then the sales guy closed the hood and one of my fingers was caught in the hood. My finger nail is completely gone and all black and blue. I was/am in so much pain right now. They helped bandaged me up and i was able to test drive the car.

Today the pain is still there. (I know it was an accident but I'm in pain)

What can I do?
Old 02-28-10, 12:06 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

I'd use that to get the price down on the car off the top & then depending on how hurt i was i'd consider a lawsuit...but that's just me
Old 02-28-10, 12:17 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
I'd use that to get the price down on the car off the top & then depending on how hurt i was i'd consider a lawsuit...but that's just me
I couldn't agree more. If you are in excruciating pain and can't bare it, then you might want to consider a lawsuit, but if not, I would use this to try and knock the price down.
Old 02-28-10, 12:24 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LS617
Hi Guys - Yesterday I was at a local car dealership taking a look at LS430. I popped the hood to to inspect the engine area with the sales guy and everything looked fine. Then the sales guy closed the hood and one of my fingers was caught in the hood. My finger nail is completely gone and all black and blue. I was/am in so much pain right now. They helped bandaged me up and i was able to test drive the car.

Today the pain is still there. (I know it was an accident but I'm in pain)

What can I do?
Take some acetaminophen or ibuprofin, and keep the affected area dry and clean.

In all seriousness, this was obviously an accident. While you may have some sort of an "entitlement" because of someone else's negligence or mistake which injured you, it doesn't sound like the mishap forced you go to the emergency room, let alone doctor.

I'd just utilize the event as interesting conversation--especially with this dealer. Heck..they may thow in an extra first aid kit if you get an LS from them..lol.

Unless the situation takes a turn for the worse (heaven forbid) ---infection leading to doctor's visit then antibiotics then hospitalization then amputation, I personally wouldn't pursue anything.
Old 02-28-10, 12:54 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I agree with this...talk to them about a discount, but don't pursue a a legal suit...
Old 02-28-10, 04:11 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
^I agree with this...talk to them about a discount, but don't pursue a a legal suit...
I agree about getting them to go low on the price, the salesman did not do it on purpose it was an accident. Also you were able to test drive the car after they took care of your finger from the incident. You did not need to be rushed to the emergency room but then again you if you feel like they is more damage to your finger you might want to get it checked out.
Old 02-28-10, 04:26 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I am assuming this was an accident and not the result of gross negligence - If I were you I would put yourself in the sales person's shoes who accidentally injured you. Then treat that person exactly as you would wish to be treated by another person if it had been you that had made the mistake and injured another person accidentally.

Having said that, if there is real significant damage or injury that needs medical treatment then the dealer should take care of those costs for you. But I would not sue unless there is significant long term ongoing pain, or permanent injury, if so then absolutely sue for fair damages - the dealer has insurance just for that purpose.
Old 02-28-10, 06:53 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way you would EVER be able to collect any money is if you went the ER and had medical bills with notes from a doctor documenting the pain and/or damage. You would also need pictures taken after the accident to show to the judge/dealership defense team. You could then file a suit and there would be a high probability that you could collect on the medical bills and/or pain and suffering. If you haven't done any of this stuff, then write it off as an accident and you might be able to possibly pressure the salesmen to give you a discount.
Old 02-28-10, 06:58 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
You just told us a lot about yourself.
I agree with LS430inDE completely. It was a mistake!
Old 02-28-10, 08:26 PM
spender
Driver

I'm pretty sure that you can probably use it finagle a discount on the car. Unless your finger has truly been injured in a long-term fashion and you are a surgeon or concert violinist or something, just let it go - life's too short! Everybody seems to hate lawyers, but it's not lawyers that file frivolous lawsuits, it's people!
Old 03-01-10, 12:29 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say try and get that price down,I understand i would be pissed off too. If the guy was truly sorry and by accident don't sue, It just gives the game a black eye.
Old 03-01-10, 05:38 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If your finger looks really, really ugly:

Visit the dealership and sit across from the sales manager to negotiate price.
Make sure your finger is on the desk in front of you.
When you make an offer or counter offer, stare at your finger.

If your finger is healing nicely:

Wrap your finger in lots of cotton gauze and tape.
Dip the finger in ketchup before wrapping the last couple layers of gauze around it.
Hold it above your head to minimize the "bleeding".
Go negotiate your final price.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I hope your finger feels better and you get the car you want at a great price.
Old 03-01-10, 05:54 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go get seen at a Patient First or some type of medical facility ASAP. If you wait to long this could hurt your case. I would be sure to 1st cover my self by being seen. I dont think the dealer is to hyped about lowering the price if he/she can avoid doing so they will. While I 1000% agree with my fellow members that there was on intent to hurt our fellow member, the same can be said for car accidents and other daily mishaps.

If you delay being seen it can be viewd as you taking to long to get it looked at. I had this happen to me and the finger never was quite the same when I didnt get it looked at. The question is if the wound is serious and you dont get it looked at yourself ASAP you could be paying more long term My concern is for your finger, forget a car. Its just a car, not a human nor an animal that bleeds,eats,drinks etc.! Take care of your finger and get seen medically 1st and after your finger is ok and wont cost you to fix it further then FOCUS on a new/used car! Sorry for the injury by the way and keep it clean to avoid infection if there are any skin breaks or nail breaks. L.G.N.M
Old 03-01-10, 06:43 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I honestly think your unfortunate injury, and the deal you get on the LS430 are two different issues.

If you want to be compensated for your injury, pursue that alone. If you want to buy an LS, just do that.

Bundling them together just makes you sound desperate, weakens your injury claim, and a clear sign you will not be perusing the matter legally.

The thing is, if you go and ask for a discount using the injury as a bargin chip you risk them denying you and looking very bad if things end up in court.

My advice is that you either move on, or take legal action and move on from that particular dealership.
Old 03-01-10, 06:55 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile I agree with this man 100%!!!!

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I honestly think your unfortunate injury, and the deal you get on the LS430 are two different issues.

If you want to be compensated for your injury, pursue that alone. If you want to buy an LS, just do that.

Bundling them together just makes you sound desperate, weakens your injury claim, and a clear sign you will not be perusing the matter legally.

The thing is, if you go and ask for a discount using the injury as a bargin chip you risk them denying you and looking very bad if things end up in court.

My advice is that you either move on, or take legal action and move on from that particular dealership.
I agree, and feel that the car issue is a dead one. Once the salesman made what Im sure was a mistake the thread starter should have quickly gotten lokked at. The longer he waits the worse his chances are of having the person who on accident slammed his finger or the Dealer pay for his injured finger. I feel the other members thought process but, think that the WISER way to go is Grand LS'. All he can do is offend the dealship by using the finger as leverage.

I have a saying in business. Nerver overestimate yourself, nor underestimate those your doing any business with. People are mstly able to smell what you are doing just as you are able to think of ways to get what you desire. That said, I feel the other members but, think as Grand LS said that the best move is taking care of the finger. The car isnt the only LS in the US. Keep looking for a good deal, you'll find it thread starter!! L.G.N.M

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Legal Advice