LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Is the sport suspension package lower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 06:44 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is the sport suspension package lower?

2004 LS430 O.E.M.18" rims /sport suspension , My car looks a little lower that the others with out air suspension, maybe its an illusion ??
Old 02-20-10, 03:13 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Not much feed back ? Non sport suspension Ls430's look like they ride a lot higher.
Old 02-20-10, 04:01 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't looked at two cars side-by-side, one with sports suspension and one without. However, I think the cars with 18" wheels appear to be a bit lower because of the shorter sidewalls.
Old 02-20-10, 05:53 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If the suspension is in fact lower, it's not a real drop. It's probably within a fraction of an inch. This is common with many OEM sport suspensions as to not loose too much suspension travel. They usually simply change the rates of the shocks/springs or go to a progressive spring.
Old 02-20-10, 09:55 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know the factual answer to this question but I agree that the sport models to appear to be lower than their non-sport brethren. In fact, my '02 definitely appears to sit lower when I have it alongside my '05 in the garage and I believe that is because of the 17's on the '02 while the '05 has 18's even with a lower side wall as caddyowner points out.
In any event, I do like the look.
Old 02-20-10, 12:09 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

I think you are right the lower side wall is the answer. I am smarter than i look, Honest.
I am thinking of adding Tanabe DF210 springs , I just hope they don't kill the ride quality because the sport suspension is already a little hard.
Thanks,
Old 02-20-10, 04:27 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Distance from floor to top of wheel opening even with each axle, measured in my garage which is slanted a bit nose down under the car:

LF, RF, and RR: 27.75"
LR: 27.5"

My car is a CL with 18" chrome wheels.
Old 02-21-10, 04:32 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by snakehead
I think you are right the lower side wall is the answer. I am smarter than i look, Honest.
I am thinking of adding Tanabe DF210 springs , I just hope they don't kill the ride quality because the sport suspension is already a little hard.
Thanks,
I strongly suggest changing the shocks while you are at it. The stock shocks will not be able to handle the extra load and fail prematurely. Then your suspension will fail to keep the wheels on the road causing all kinds of headaches from tire cupping to uncomfortable (and not the sporty type either) ride.
Old 02-22-10, 12:02 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I strongly suggest changing the shocks while you are at it. The stock shocks will not be able to handle the extra load and fail prematurely. Then your suspension will fail to keep the wheels on the road causing all kinds of headaches from tire cupping to uncomfortable (and not the sporty type either) ride.
Should i go with O.E.M KYB spot suspension shocks or bilsteins , etc.. ??
Old 02-22-10, 01:16 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Should i go with O.E.M KYB spot suspension shocks or bilsteins , etc.. ??
Strongly suggest you go with Bilsteins. Aside from their quality for necessity for lowered applications, they will do the job of keeping the wheels planted to the ground as they are supposed too. They will ride a bit harsher, but are more able to handle the car (keep the wheels from bouncing) vs. OEM which were made for longer springs.

Also, make sure you CUT a couple of layers of the bumper stops on. They are rubber pieces stacked together that stop the shock from bottoming out (you will see it once you take the shockmount apart), and if left at the same size, it will heavily restrict the shock travel (the car will think the shock is bottoming out, when its not.) Take away as much as 2/3ths of the rubber out.
Old 02-22-10, 09:49 AM
snakehead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Strongly suggest you go with Bilsteins. Aside from their quality for necessity for lowered applications, they will do the job of keeping the wheels planted to the ground as they are supposed too. They will ride a bit harsher, but are more able to handle the car (keep the wheels from bouncing) vs. OEM which were made for longer springs.

Also, make sure you CUT a couple of layers of the bumper stops on. They are rubber pieces stacked together that stop the shock from bottoming out (you will see it once you take the shockmount apart), and if left at the same size, it will heavily restrict the shock travel (the car will think the shock is bottoming out, when its not.) Take away as much as 2/3ths of the rubber out.

My LS430 already has the sport suspension , How much more harsh do you think the ride will be with the Df210 springs and the Bilstein shocks ?
Old 02-22-10, 12:44 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

My LS430 already has the sport suspension , How much more harsh do you think the ride will be with the Df210 springs and the Bilstein shocks ?
I cant tell you since i've never driven an LS with sport suspension, but you will more than likely experience slightly more road feel.
Old 02-22-10, 03:03 PM
snakehead
Intermediate

yeah as of now it feels the road pretty good. a little more would be ok , I would just hate to totally blow the ride and have to pull over every hour to take a leak.