LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Pics of smog sensor cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 01:02 PM
teamplayer
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

This is interesting to see. Us Hawaii peeps don't have this on our cars here. We don't have smog checks.

All these months and I can't believe I missed this thread.
Old 06-10-10, 01:35 PM
rjacket
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't get the bolt off with a regular 10 wrench. Did you guys have to use a socket to get yours off?
Old 06-10-10, 06:41 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Socket

Originally Posted by rjacket
I can't get the bolt off with a regular 10 wrench. Did you guys have to use a socket to get yours off?
I used a socket because I just have a set and I use it. It was pretty tight, so I think a socket set might be best. You don't want to strip the bolt. Also, the sensors are in a place that gets extreme hot and colds, so it's probably pretty tight in there from the temp changes all these years.
Old 07-14-10, 06:41 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great thread. I just did mine yesterday. When I opened mine, it was not nearly as dirty as Surfers, but since I went through the trouble of taking it out and apart, I obviously cleaned it up nicely. As it turned out, even though mine was not terribly dirty to the naked eye, it seems that if the screen has a even a light film on it, performance of the sensor suffers. I had no idea how responsive the sensor was supposed to be as I bought the car used, but now I actually notice the mode switching back and forth as needed. I never actually noticed the lights change before, probably because it was such a seldom occurance. When driving in the city however, it pretty much stays locked in circulate mode.

Thanks Surfer
Old 07-16-10, 12:02 PM
SteveM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great writeup + pics. I didn't even know this feature existed on the car. I'm always finding the odd new thing these spaceships have
Old 07-16-10, 01:43 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

NO problem guys. Always glad to contribute when i can because this forum has definatly help me numerous ways and im sure it will continue to help me in the future.

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 09-05-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 08:53 AM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine today. I will soon know if it resolves my issues of ingesting diesel fumes from trucks. Thanks for the write up.
Old 11-01-10, 12:21 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Smog Filter Cleaning !

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Pics 6 & 7.
Great advice, but can you share EXACTLY what you used to clean it ? Did you spray it with a garden hose, use Chemtool B-12, or any Solvent to clean it ?

Thanks for any further advice........I can handle that, but I don't want to "Ruin It".

Great post.
Old 11-01-10, 01:42 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I dissembled and cleaned out mine with a small shop vac. Basically vacuumed the dirt and dust out of it.
Old 11-01-10, 02:20 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I dissembled and cleaned out mine with a small shop vac. Basically vacuumed the dirt and dust out of it.
Thanks Jabberwock...........I'll vacuum it and brush it and NOT use any chemicals.......that sounds like a MUCH better idea. I have 2005 LS-430, swithed the Smog Sensor to above Medium and it seems to already be "switching" a lot from outside to recirculate. Once the sensor is clean, should one run it on HIGH, or Medium, or just above Medium?
Old 11-01-10, 03:05 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
Thanks Jabberwock...........I'll vacuum it and brush it and NOT use any chemicals.......that sounds like a MUCH better idea. I have 2005 LS-430, swithed the Smog Sensor to above Medium and it seems to already be "switching" a lot from outside to recirculate. Once the sensor is clean, should one run it on HIGH, or Medium, or just above Medium?
i just shook out most of the dirt that was clogged in the little filter. Cleaned the case with a damp cloth and that was that. I'm sure others have done a more thorough job than that since.

As far as settings, i would try out the lowest first and see how the system responds a then adjust accordinally.
Old 11-01-10, 05:08 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
i just shook out most of the dirt that was clogged in the little filter. Cleaned the case with a damp cloth and that was that. I'm sure others have done a more thorough job than that since.

As far as settings, i would try out the lowest first and see how the system responds a then adjust accordinally.
Does anyone else have a "Recommended" setting" after cleaning the Smog Sensor besides LOWEST ?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for this post.
Old 11-01-10, 05:18 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I use the highest setting, as I want to block out any external odors immediately. Also, I think a thorough cleaning of the filter is best. You want the filter to keep out debris, but you don't want it to block or distort any external emissions. I soaked mine in hot water with detergent, rinsed under the faucet with hot water, and pressurized air afterwards.
Old 11-01-10, 05:21 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I use the highest setting, as I want to block out any external odors immediately. Also, I think a thorough cleaning of the filter is best. You want the filter to keep out debris, but you don't want it to block or distort any external emissions. I soaked mine in hot water with detergent, rinsed under the faucet with hot water, and pressurized air afterwards.
Thanks Jayclapp, that sounds like a VERY reasonable thing to do. Once I clean mine, I "Might" set it one notch above Medium and see how it goes. Thanks for your post.
Old 11-03-10, 10:17 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

For one that does not have Navigation, is there any other way to set the "Sensitivity" on the Smog Filter System ? Mine has Nav, but a good friend does not and wants to set his sensitivity up a bit higher after he finds and cleans his filter......thanks for any ideas.

Quick Reply: Pics of smog sensor cleaning.