LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 Lexus Ls 430 navigation system screen off

Old 01-05-10, 04:40 PM
jcaballe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Lexus Ls 430 navigation system screen off

Hello guys i have an 04 Lexus Ls 430 with navigation system and sometimes the screen goes black and the a/c display temp. turns off, sometimes if i turn off the engines and back on it works again. When the screen is off I get a message in the screen that says "THE EXTERNAL SYSTEM IS NOT CONNECTED" have you guys had this problem before or know what to do with it? just bought the car and do not know what to do to it? I can't use any or the controls of the navigation system when the screen goes black,
Old 01-06-10, 06:47 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CL.
If it says that the external system is not connected, it could mean that there is a loose plug somewhere. Open the trunk and take a spare wheel cover off, then take out the passenger side cover and you'll see two boxes and two plugs. the box that's further away from you is an amplifier, the one that's closer to you (closer to taillights) is the DVD Navi unit with DVD map disk inside. Check the connection to both Navi unit and AMP since a navi in LS will not work without a stock amp. If both connections are secure go to a car electrician and let him check if the AMP is working properly, if not, you will need a new amp. It's expensive so look on ebay for a used unit. Hope this helps.
Old 01-06-10, 09:20 PM
jcaballe
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
Welcome to CL.
If it says that the external system is not connected, it could mean that there is a loose plug somewhere. Open the trunk and take a spare wheel cover off, then take out the passenger side cover and you'll see two boxes and two plugs. the box that's further away from you is an amplifier, the one that's closer to you (closer to taillights) is the DVD Navi unit with DVD map disk inside. Check the connection to both Navi unit and AMP since a navi in LS will not work without a stock amp. If both connections are secure go to a car electrician and let him check if the AMP is working properly, if not, you will need a new amp. It's expensive so look on ebay for a used unit. Hope this helps.
I want to thank you for taking the time and explained to me about the navigation system, I already disconneted the sockets from the dvd two days ago but didn't know that the other box was the amp. but i'm going to check that out tomorrow and see if i notice something strange with the cable sockets. I hope i can get this thing to work properly. I forgot to mention that besides "the external system is not connected" sometimes i get an "audio off" message, but i'll take a look at it tomorrow. nice picture of you car!!
thanks a lot
Old 01-27-10, 09:54 AM
tumbin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcaballe
Hello guys i have an 04 Lexus Ls 430 with navigation system and sometimes the screen goes black and the a/c display temp. turns off, sometimes if i turn off the engines and back on it works again. When the screen is off I get a message in the screen that says "THE EXTERNAL SYSTEM IS NOT CONNECTED" have you guys had this problem before or know what to do with it? just bought the car and do not know what to do to it? I can't use any or the controls of the navigation system when the screen goes black,
Funny...I have same car 2004 LS-430 with exactly the same problem and error messages. Seems to me that it is a common issue with these cars. Did you find out the cause and resolution? Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-10, 06:10 AM
blacksauce
Driver School Candidate

hello i am having the same problem with my navigation on the same year and make that ya'll are having i took my car to a lexus dealership they put it on a diagnostic machine and determined that the ground wire was fried so i had them do the work and it is still saying the same thing now i'm really angry and i tried to get my money back but to no avale they are trying to tell me that i need a new navigation screen but it works perfectly fine but i keep getting the external system is not connected and i cant operate any buttons did you find out how to fix the problem maybe they should do a recall or something but please help me out
Old 04-08-10, 03:51 PM
msrashida
Driver School Candidate

Same exact problem. If anyone figures out the issue, please let me know.
Old 04-08-10, 08:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I know on the 04 Toyota Landcruiser, they had an issue w/ the navs & backup cameras dying. 04 was the first year of the gen-4 nav. Replacement cost is $5K.
Old 05-28-10, 09:07 PM
Driver School Candidate

Me too; same year LS 430. I'll look at the plugs. My back up camera works OK, so far.
Thanks for the info
Old 06-13-10, 11:28 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone gotten anywhere with this stupid problem yet?? It has been going on in my car (04 LS 430) for awhile now. I was talking with a friend about it and he thinks the stock amp is just for the sound...which works just fine for me. He didn't think there should be so many problems with the screen and everything turning on an off when it wants to because of the Nav system. He wonders if it is the screen unit itself.

The problems I am having sound just like everyone else's. The system has a mind of its own.

Thanks for any imput you can give.

Jennifer
Old 06-14-10, 08:15 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Is this issue primarily with the Gen 4 unit or earlier units as well?
Old 07-24-10, 03:23 PM
hatchback
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem with my 04 LS430.
Old 09-03-10, 07:06 AM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

One of the dealers in Minnesota said they can do an update with the Navigation cd...he recommended waiting for the generation 10 that will be coming out the end of September. That just sounds like to easy of a fix...has anyone heard of this one yet?
Old 09-03-10, 10:51 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, another reason I am glad I didn't get the Nav. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't also lock out your audio and climate controls!
Old 12-21-10, 05:59 PM
lmmrem
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation out

Have the same problem. Dealer suggested a refurbished unit. Has anyone tried this. Has anyone has any support on getting Lexus to cover this obvious defect. Given you have no manual alternative to operate AC and several other features, this should be covered.
Old 12-22-10, 03:50 AM
billsheila
Driver School Candidate

Default My first contribution

Guys I am new to the forum having just bought my 2003 LS. I call it my "anti-Prius" because that is the car I had before the Lexus.

Anyhow I had this exact same problem on my 2004 Prius. The Lexus and the Prius share a few parts or at least share similar technology, including I believe the nav screens. There was a known problem with the early (read 2004) Prius nav screens and apparently they replaced many of them under a "soft recall". Mine finally broke and I was out of warranty and of course pissed to learn it was a known problem and the dealers only suggestion was a replacement screen. Then I came across a Prius guru who also was an electronics wizard. He researched the problem and came up with a fix, it arises due to a bad solder joint between two sections of the screen. Here is the good news. He started a service to fix them!

You can send him your screen, it is a minor hassle to get it out, but not too bad and about 8 days later I had it back working 100 percent. He even pointed out (at least on the Prius) that the car would operate sans screen and the auto heating system would as well you just would lose the indication of what exactly was going on real time. I operated my car that way while my screen was out for repair. I think the whole effort cost me $300.

Here is a link to his operation.

http://www.autobeyours.com/Ebay%20MFD%20listing.htm

You will note that the repair service indicates that it also applies to highlanders and land cruisers but I am willing to bet that the Lexus screen is the same "fujitso ten" manufacturer with the exact same issue. Looks like the price went up to $325 but still a bargain compared to $4500 and trust me it fixed the issue.

Good luck. BTW: when this was happening to my Prius it started just occassionally and then became an almost constant issue, so this may get worse for those of you having the issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 Lexus Ls 430 navigation system screen off