LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clicking sound from the steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 12:11 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clicking sound from the steering rack

Seems that my baby gave me a present for the holidays. Its a clicking sound(like clicking a computer mouse)...... that is coming from the steering rack behind the steering wheel while turning the steering wheel. The car can be on or off and the clicking will happen. It has been pretty cold around here for the last couple of days and I dont know if that can have something to do with it. Whatever it is its annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP SOMEONE! PLEASE
Old 12-31-09, 03:49 PM
Topshottaz
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check your control arm bushings, the ones that arent attached to the lower control arm
Old 01-01-10, 10:28 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default same mouse click sounds

Originally Posted by Vpanin
Seems that my baby gave me a present for the holidays. Its a clicking sound(like clicking a computer mouse)...... that is coming from the steering rack behind the steering wheel while turning the steering wheel. The car can be on or off and the clicking will happen. It has been pretty cold around here for the last couple of days and I dont know if that can have something to do with it. Whatever it is its annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP SOMEONE! PLEASE
Bro...i experienced the same EXACT scenario a couple weeks ago when I was in Syracuse. (Notice I refrained from calling it a problem)

It was probably 20deg and I was leaving a parking garage. Happend both days/times I was leaving the garage. This is my first winter with my LS.

Basically, while exiting the garage, I had to turn the wheel several revolutions to the right, then straighten it out, then several revolutions to the right, then straighten it out, etc, as I was driving down the ramps of the parking garage. I heard those same exact clicks---sounding like a faint click from a computer mouse. I was attributing it to the cold, because once the interior of the car warmed up, I never heard those clicks again.

Maybe it has to do with the turn signal cancelling mechanism?

Either way, when it's warmed up in the cabin, it disappeared for me.

Those were the only time I've heard those clicks.

It's amazing we hear those faint clicking noises, because otherwise, the cabin is eerily rattle and vibration free.

I'm not worried about the clicks. Just probably a gremlin sending emails or something..lol
Old 01-01-10, 11:00 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Bro...i experienced the same EXACT scenario a couple weeks ago when I was in Syracuse. (Notice I refrained from calling it a problem)

It was probably 20deg and I was leaving a parking garage. Happend both days/times I was leaving the garage. This is my first winter with my LS.

Basically, while exiting the garage, I had to turn the wheel several revolutions to the right, then straighten it out, then several revolutions to the right, then straighten it out, etc, as I was driving down the ramps of the parking garage. I heard those same exact clicks---sounding like a faint click from a computer mouse. I was attributing it to the cold, because once the interior of the car warmed up, I never heard those clicks again.

Maybe it has to do with the turn signal cancelling mechanism?

Either way, when it's warmed up in the cabin, it disappeared for me.

Those were the only time I've heard those clicks.

It's amazing we hear those faint clicking noises, because otherwise, the cabin is eerily rattle and vibration free.

I'm not worried about the clicks. Just probably a gremlin sending emails or something..lol

I think i just fixed it today . What I did is I turned the wheel until it locked with the car off. Then I turned it while turning the key and unlocked it. For the 5 mins that I drove after that I didnt hear the clicking so i think it worked!!

Thanks for your advice though guys!
Old 01-01-10, 11:03 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

I think it was just a steering wheel locking mechanism glitch
Old 01-02-10, 04:43 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
I think it was just a steering wheel locking mechanism glitch
That doesn't sound good. I imagine that the LS has an electromechanical locking mechanism since the keyswitch is not located on the steering column. If the problem comes back, I would visit the dealer. Hopefully, it's just the lock getting hung up in cold weather.

I had a C5 Corvette (2002) with the same feature and there were issues with this design. Owners reported problems with the lock not unlocking when starting the car. There were also a few documented cases of the lock engaging when the car was in motion. (How convenient) At first, GM focused on the lock mechanism, but it became evident that the problem may be an intermittent communication glitch between the computer and the lock mechanism. The Corvette community came up with a mod to disable the steering column lock and trick the car's computers into thinking it was working OK. I installed this column lock defeat in my car. GM eventually came out with a lame recall that killed the engine if the lock was engaged and the engine was running. That would have make matters worse if your lock engaged while moving.
Old 01-02-10, 01:22 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Damn!!! I drove the car today and it looks like the clicking sound is back. I really hope that its just acting up because of the cold weather. It is pretty annoying. I guess Ill just ask the friendly Lexus of Glen cove staff about it on my next oil change