LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Engine oil question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 10:04 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine oil question

Just another pleasant experience at the dealer. Got an oil change and this time my receipt says it was filled with 5w20 not 5w30 which the LS takes. Will this be a problem due to that type of oil????
Old 12-02-09, 04:53 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not call them and ask what they are really using for oil weight,,?? would think the dealer knows what is called for,,

with winter coming on I doubt the 20 weight would be a problem,,

Derry
Old 12-02-09, 06:45 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Call them and verify what was used in your car - if you are not happy with the answer and its not per the manual- ask them to change it again at no charge. Speak to management if they refuse. My experience with Lexus is that they will do what it takes to make you happy when you insist on the job done right. Tell them you would prefer not to have to call Lexus regional management for help.
Old 12-02-09, 07:25 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's the new synthetic Toyota 5w20, it's better than mineral-based 5w30...less engine wear and better fuel economy. Also extended changing interval of 7.5K mi vs. 5K mi.
Old 12-02-09, 09:02 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Call them and verify what was used in your car - if you are not happy with the answer and its not per the manual- ask them to change it again at no charge. Speak to management if they refuse. My experience with Lexus is that they will do what it takes to make you happy when you insist on the job done right. Tell them you would prefer not to have to call Lexus regional management for help.
I totally agree.

I'd also ask them why the advisor failed to disclose/notify you of this variance from the owners manual, and emphasize the REASON you take it to the DEALER to have all the service done BY THE BOOK.

And since you're being "inconvenienced" to bring your car in again, that you'd really really really really really appreciate a 600hL as a loaner (in silver..lol)...thank you very much!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 12-02-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 10:42 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

I did hear that 5w20 gives better fuel economy. I couldnt even get in touch with the service adviser so I left a message. No one called me back. Im just going to get to the bottom of it at the next oil change. Im too lazy to drive over there and ask them to change it and waste 2 hours of my time. Im sure you guys have great Lexus dealers who put effort into their work where you all are from. New york people are different ....lol Bunch of lazy u know what. And so far Ive dealt with 3 different locations and they all suck....lol
Old 12-03-09, 04:11 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 5W20 vs 5W30

Originally Posted by Vpanin
I did hear that 5w20 gives better fuel economy. I couldnt even get in touch with the service adviser so I left a message. No one called me back. Im just going to get to the bottom of it at the next oil change. Im too lazy to drive over there and ask them to change it and waste 2 hours of my time. Im sure you guys have great Lexus dealers who put effort into their work where you all are from. New york people are different ....lol Bunch of lazy u know what. And so far Ive dealt with 3 different locations and they all suck....lol
I don't think the 2nd grade of minus 20 is going to matter much for one oil cycle. The 5W means that this oil is viscous as a single-grade SAE 5 oil. The 20, means that the viscosity of this multi-grade oil at 100°C (212°F) operating temperature corresponds to the viscosity of a single-grade 20 oil at same temperature.

Just be glad they didn't pump in 10W40.

Don't worry about it, don't waste the fuel going there. Just call them, let them know that you know they didn't put the right grade, and say you would like the manual's suggested 5W30, unless they have a very good reason for switching to 5W20 (perhaps for the increased life or fuel efficiency as others noted).
Old 12-03-09, 05:30 AM
jay33
Rookie

Had my 2002 LS430 in for oil change yesterday at the dealership. Just checked the paperwork and they used 5W30 Formula1. I'm in the Northeast with winter coming so I wouldn't think your dealer used 5W20 for that reason. Just give them a call to see why they used the different grade.
Old 12-03-09, 07:48 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Vpanin
I couldnt even get in touch with the service adviser so I left a message. No one called me back. Im just going to get to the bottom of it at the next oil change. Im too lazy to drive over there and ask them to change it and waste 2 hours of my time....New york people are different ....lol Bunch of lazy u know what. And so far Ive dealt with 3 different locations and they all suck....lol
One of my best friends lives in Syracuse. His wife called ME (lol) to complain about a bad experience during routine service performed by a Lexus dealer somewhere there in Syracuse about 2 months ago. (They bought their brand new 08 ES350 from that same dealer.)

Is this experience with a Syracuse dealer?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 12-03-09 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 10:31 PM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
One of my best friends lives in Syracuse. His wife called ME (lol) to complain about a bad experience during routine service performed by a Lexus dealer somewhere there in Syracuse about 2 months ago. (They bought their brand new 08 ES350 from that same dealer.)

Is this experience with a Syracuse dealer?

This was in Long Island
Old 12-04-09, 05:26 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I sympathize with you on the your local dealers but that is very unusual for Lexus. They charge a premium for service but you should insist on getting premium service and premium treatment as a customer. I encourage any board members who live in that area to write emails, make calls to Lexus regional management with cc to Lexus/Toyota national mgr. I guarantee you that Lexus management does not want that kind of service reputation spreading. Point them to this board - Maybe you can can start a "bad service in NY area Lexus dealers thread and post bad service experiences.

I have to say that the Lexus dealers in DFW area and the one I dealt with with Chicago seemed to bend over backwards to make sure you I was happy. In one case I bought some parts, there was a minor snafu with one part, and they immediately apologized, comped me some other stuff, and I got multiple call backs to make sure I was happy.
Old 12-08-09, 07:49 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

The 2002 LS430 manual says 5W-30 should be used if the temperature range will be between -20F and +100F (-29C and 38C). It also says 10W-30 can be used from 0F to 100F (-18C and 38C).

Nothing in the manual about 5W-20..
Old 12-08-09, 08:04 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I would not use a 10wXX grade in the winter in the NE...too thick. It'll work, but your engine will crank slowly, and this is when the engine experiences most of its wear. I would use synthetic 0w or 5w (0w20, 5w30, 0w40). True synthetics don't thicken nearly as much with cold temperatures (note: Castrol syntec [except for the German-made one] and Shell Rotella T are not true synthetics). One experiment you can perform is get a quart of, say, Mobil 1 0w40 and a quart of mineral-based 5w30. Put them in a deep freezer, then remove and pour. In AZ, I have to deal with temperature extremes (over 100F to below freezing), so Mobil 1 0w40 does it all. BTW, the Toyota/Lexus manuals sometimes specify oil weights sold in Japan that one can't even buy in the US, like 90 weight differential oil.
Old 12-25-09, 06:35 PM
FatCat23
Driver School Candidate

The MOST important message here is not so much which oil weight to use, the most important message is to use a true synthetic.
My daughter (sobbing tears) just totaled my 96 LS.... it was still going 5000k between oil changes with the oil so clean you could still see through it.
Only synthetic was used for it's entire 260k miles.
Old 01-21-10, 02:57 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Update since my last post:

Found a March 29, 2006 TSIB that says 5W-20 is recommended for all UZ-series engines. See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...23-2006-a.html

I talked to the service department at a local Lexus dealership and they say 5W-20 is recommended for greater fuel efficiency. I don't know if they recommend synthetic or not - will find out next Friday.

Quick Reply: Engine oil question