LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Question for the northern owners: Deicing windshield and wipers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 03:28 PM
Yaff
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for the northern owners: Deicing windshield and wipers.

What do you do when your wipers are stuck in the ice?

For such a masterpiece of engineering I’m little puzzled here. The wipers are resting under the hood and cannot be easily lifted for deicing. Not to mention the defrost heat starting few inches above the wipers and not melting the ice under the wipers.

What am I missing? Is there a hidden button for defrosting the wipers?

How do you do it?
Old 12-01-09, 03:33 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Maybe you just slide the ice scraper you're using on the windshield down under the wiper.
Old 12-01-09, 04:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

on my 99 acura RL there was a winter and summer wiper blade position. In winter you could change the resting point of the wiper assembly arms so that it rested about 2 inches higher on the windshield - result being wiper did not get buried and locked in by ice and snow. In summer you changed it back so the wipers basically disappeared in the cowl when wipers were at rest. I do not think there is such an option on the LS. But I live in Dallas so its mostly a non issue for me.
Old 12-01-09, 06:26 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old trick I learned when I had to go to work at 2 AM...When you park the car at night turn the wipers on and turn the key off when they get about three inches from the bottom. Make sure you then turn the wipers off because they will try to move first thing in the morning. It lets you break them loose and scrape the ice.
Old 12-01-09, 09:16 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
on my 99 acura RL there was a winter and summer wiper blade position. In winter you could change the resting point of the wiper assembly arms so that it rested about 2 inches higher on the windshield - result being wiper did not get buried and locked in by ice and snow. In summer you changed it back so the wipers basically disappeared in the cowl when wipers were at rest. I do not think there is such an option on the LS. But I live in Dallas so its mostly a non issue for me.
Bro----I just posted the exact thing on the other thread....
Old 12-01-09, 09:21 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Yaff
What do you do when your wipers are stuck in the ice?

For such a masterpiece of engineering I’m little puzzled here. The wipers are resting under the hood and cannot be easily lifted for deicing. Not to mention the defrost heat starting few inches above the wipers and not melting the ice under the wipers.

What am I missing? Is there a hidden button for defrosting the wipers?

How do you do it?
How dare you!? I think several people just exploded into a ball of fire reading your highly INSULTING and INSTIGATIVE and INFLAMATORY post! (lol) I love it.
Old 12-01-09, 09:25 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Maybe you just slide the ice scraper you're using on the windshield down under the wiper.
I just don't get it! What don't some owners here understand that the question was directed at the "Northern Owners"! (sound familiar?)

I guess you're using your experience from your frigid and freezing Arizona winters huh?
Old 12-02-09, 04:42 AM
Yaff
Driver

Originally Posted by honeygee2
Old trick I learned when I had to go to work at 2 AM...When you park the car at night turn the wipers on and turn the key off when they get about three inches from the bottom. Make sure you then turn the wipers off because they will try to move first thing in the morning. It lets you break them loose and scrape the ice.
Thank you all for your suggestions but Honeygee wins. I love the basic common sense here.

I'll try it this morning and report back.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-09, 04:43 AM
Yaff
Driver

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
How dare you!? I think several people just exploded into a ball of fire reading your highly INSULTING and INSTIGATIVE and INFLAMATORY post! (lol) I love it.
Waow you read too much into it. I'm just puzzled.
Old 12-02-09, 04:30 PM
tcbted
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Losing the winter "park" position seems like a step backwards to me.
My 2000 ES300 had this feature, and as a northern owner, I really miss it on
my LS.
On days with heavy snow or ice, I would pull my wipers up from the windshield when
parked outside, leaving the wipers raised for the day ... great feature, sorely missed.
Old 12-02-09, 06:51 PM
Yaff
Driver

Originally Posted by tcbted
Losing the winter "park" position seems like a step backwards to me. My 2000 ES300 had this feature, and as a northern owner, I really miss it on my LS.
On days with heavy snow or ice, I would pull my wipers up from the windshield when parked outside, leaving the wipers raised for the day ... great feature, sorely missed.
No kidding. And I tried turning off the engine while the wipers are moving just to get them to stop higher. I don`t think it is going to do me any good since they go back at the resting position as soon as the engine starts. No matter if the wipers are off. So I can`t heat the winshield from the inside to melt the ice under the blades.
Old 12-03-09, 05:15 AM
cdnguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that when you turn the "defrost" on for the rear window, there are a number of the heater lines which are in the front windshield, and heat the area below the hood, to prevent exactly what you are describing. So, if you park outside, simply turn the car on, turn on the defrost, and after a few minutes, you should be OK to use your wipers.

From what I understand, this may be only available to Canadian LS430s. I stand to be corrrected. I do know that I had to have my windshield replaced, and I was asked whether it was heated or not - and the people replacing the glass confirmed it was heated.

My LS430 is a 2002 - by 2006 - and I'm not sure when it started - heated front windshields were standard I understand.

Last edited by cdnguy; 12-03-09 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 02:22 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

People just stop being lazy and break the ice yourself. I know you have hands and fingers cause you do drive. Start the car, turn on the heaters, break the ice and be off! Alot quicker than just waiting for the ice to melt.
Old 12-04-09, 04:53 AM
Yaff
Driver

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
People just stop being lazy and break the ice yourself. I know you have hands and fingers cause you do drive. Start the car, turn on the heaters, break the ice and be off! Alot quicker than just waiting for the ice to melt.
Lazy? Do you pay someone to do it or you just never did it yourself?
You are offending both my intelligence and my intention to work without breaking anything.

Have you ever wonder what an ice scraper will do to the gentle rubber blades?

I've been deicing my cars for over 20 years. There is absolutely no issue when the wipers are resting on the windshield where the inside heat starts melting under. Few seconds later, you can lift the blades, scrap under and put them back. The LS430 doesn't allow that.

I’ll check the rear defrost thing... If it’s the case, I have no reasons to worry.
That would be great!

Too lazy to deice… Your car must always sleep in a garage or you are some kind of snow bird living on the beach during winter. Lucky you!

But keep slapping your face. I hope it hurt a little.
Old 12-04-09, 06:08 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaff
Lazy? Do you pay someone to do it or you just never did it yourself?
You are offending both my intelligence and my intention to work without breaking anything.

Have you ever wonder what an ice scraper will do to the gentle rubber blades?

I've been deicing my cars for over 20 years. There is absolutely no issue when the wipers are resting on the windshield where the inside heat starts melting under. Few seconds later, you can lift the blades, scrap under and put them back. The LS430 doesn't allow that.

I’ll check the rear defrost thing... If it’s the case, I have no reasons to worry.
That would be great!

Too lazy to deice… Your car must always sleep in a garage or you are some kind of snow bird living on the beach during winter. Lucky you!

But keep slapping your face. I hope it hurt a little.
Actually i live in DC where winters are a crap shoot but we do get icy conditions in the winter. Not fortunate to have a garage so my baby has to endure the harsh elements such as ice when winter comes. Ive tinkered around with the LS's blade and they do pose a very small problem when tryin to change them but as far as ice is concern, all i do is carry a bottle of water from the fridge outside(which is still warmer than ice) to pour on the blade which will begin to melt the ice. As its meltin, help it by using the scrapper carefully. Doesn't take long while the car is warming with the defrost on. Works for me everytime. And sir I have a very large head so the slaps are like kisses to me.

Quick Reply: Question for the northern owners: Deicing windshield and wipers.