LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Old 11-24-09, 09:52 AM
otcviper
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Greeting all- Just talked with my friendly Lexus dealer who informed me that there is no such thing as a replacement LCA Bushing for an '02 LS430, you have to buy the whole dang control arm at the bargain basement price of $224 ea. Yes, you don't have to worry about pressing (or burning) out the old bushings which saves time, but $224? Jeez.

He also told me that NOBODY makes an aftermarket part for it . Hmm. I know that Daizen does not (really wish they did), but a simple search proves that it's available. Wondering if anybody has a recommendation on who to buy these from and if there is a superior brand out there.

Also, wondering if anybody has DIY'ed this. I have a shop manual that outlines the whole thing, just wondering if there are any things I need to keep in mind.

I don't post much here, but I do read everybody elses posts a lot and appreciate all of the great information I've consumed over the past 6 months!

Thanks!
Old 11-26-09, 10:03 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

I need exactly the same thing for my '01 LS430. Lower control arm bushing, the one at the back of the control arm. By the way, they do have Lexus control arm front bushing.

I also found few websites that sell the bushing but not sure of quality and how long it will last(they warranty it for 12 months or 12,000 miles which doesn't convince me it's of good quality).

If you do find a manufacturer/retailer you can trust with this part, please let me know. I will probably be driving like this for a while since I don't feel like spending $224x2+labor.

I feel like sending an email to Daizen to ask when the bushing will be available for the Ls430.
Old 11-26-09, 11:35 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had this done by dealer a while ago on my 2001 LS430. Sound was annoying so I just paid for the work. Its funny that whenI did pay for it they didnt do it at all. I got my car back to find the same noise returned as it had been making before getting the work done for new control arm/bushing. They claimed they werent to do it(mechanics) until I showed my work order and paid for reciept. Then it was finally done. Made me wonder afterward if service departments do services we pay for all the time such as oil change and topping of fluids and tire rotation. Oh well, once the work was done my car drove 1000% better!! L.G.M.N
The following users liked this post:
starkbark (01-03-21)
Old 11-27-09, 05:21 AM
dan812
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you describe the noise you are hearing please? I have a 2004 and I have slight noise over bumps which sounded like sway bar links. So I replaced the links and that was not the problem. It feels the same and drives fine, just annoying rattle like noise
Old 11-27-09, 08:52 AM
audphile1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dan812
Can you describe the noise you are hearing please? I have a 2004 and I have slight noise over bumps which sounded like sway bar links. So I replaced the links and that was not the problem. It feels the same and drives fine, just annoying rattle like noise
Rattle is most likely the control arm bushings. Have your car checked out.

Mine had problems with strut mounts AND the control arm bushing. I replaced strut mounts and some of the noise is eliminated. The noise that was generated by strut mounts sounded like rattle of busted bearings. Steering also screetched a bit when turning wheels when the car ws standing still, i.e getting out of a parking spot.

I had few problems:
1. Creeking noise from the front. This was caused by worn sway bar bushings. This was fixed and is inexpensive. But these bushings did not cause rattle.
2. Busted strut mounts. I described the noise above. Also, the car feels a bit tighter on the road now, not as wobbly, and of course that rattle is gone.
3. Control arm bushings. The noise I have now is kind of a muffled rattle that is different from what was generated by bad strut mounts. It is heard much less frequently than with the bad strut mounts. This is on my list to do next. But the problem is , only the front positioned lower control arm bushings are available. If the rear lower control arm bushings die, it looks like the only solution is to replace the entire lower control arm.
Old 12-01-09, 10:01 AM
otcviper
Driver School Candidate

A little update on my LCA rear bushing saga. Building upon the knowledge that I had to buy the entire LCA assembly, I went ahead and ordered the AST brand aftermarket bushings. Long story short, bad decision. 1st, the design of the after market part is completely different than OEM and would require modification to use (no thanks). 2ndly, the Lexus dealer lied to me. You CAN get just the bushing... but more on that in a min.

I've removed the bushings and burned one of them out with a propane torch (much easier than pressing it out). What I'm left with is the need for an "SST", a Lexus Special Service Tool. There is a metal "collar" inside the bushing housing that I've tried getting out, but my best guess is that it's not coming out without the SST. It has several very unique looking surfaces that I'm sure the tool fits into. Thanks Lexus! I've attached a pic and you can see part of the collar in there.

Never heard of an SST? Take a look here for a full list:

http://toyota.spx.com/PDF/ToyotaMasterindex2005.pdf

The one that I need is part of the 09710-28012-01 set. This is the tool that removes the metal collar so I can install the new bushing. So my question is, does anybody know of a way I can get these out without having to buy the tool? Or, does anybody in the Dallas, Tx area know anybody that could (for a modest fee) pop those things out for me?

The parts. Luckily I have a cousin that works in the parts dept of a local Toyota dealership. He told me the 1st dealer was full of it and they do sell just the bushing. I called the "other" dealer in my area and sure enough, not only do they sell it, they had them in stock. $144/ea retail. I'll not tell you how much I paid for them thru my cousin's affiliation, but I will tell you that it's over 50%. I knew there was a hefty markup on these parts, but WOW!

Anyway, if anybody out there has any helpful hints it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm going to post a full DIY of the job once I'm done.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair-bushing-housing.jpg  
Old 12-01-09, 06:10 PM
audphile1
Pole Position

I ordered the bushing from lexus. hopefully this week I will get it and install it on the weekend. I got to say though, that after the front strut mounts were replaced few days ago, the car drives and feels substantially better. It is sort of planted to the road again and not wandering about. Just like I remember it used to drive. My front strut mounts were busted big time. I can't wait to have the bushings installed and complete the suspension work. I'm enjoying the ride again and I know it will even get better once the bushings are in place.

Hey, good luck with the control arm metal sleeve, otcviper.
that does look like it can be a pain. have you tried pressing it out? another suggestion would be to bring it to the lexus and ask them for a favor to press those sleeves out.
Old 09-19-10, 08:12 PM
TubbyGs430
Driver

Originally Posted by otcviper
A little update on my LCA rear bushing saga. Building upon the knowledge that I had to buy the entire LCA assembly, I went ahead and ordered the AST brand aftermarket bushings. Long story short, bad decision. 1st, the design of the after market part is completely different than OEM and would require modification to use (no thanks). 2ndly, the Lexus dealer lied to me. You CAN get just the bushing... but more on that in a min.

I've removed the bushings and burned one of them out with a propane torch (much easier than pressing it out). What I'm left with is the need for an "SST", a Lexus Special Service Tool. There is a metal "collar" inside the bushing housing that I've tried getting out, but my best guess is that it's not coming out without the SST. It has several very unique looking surfaces that I'm sure the tool fits into. Thanks Lexus! I've attached a pic and you can see part of the collar in there.

Never heard of an SST? Take a look here for a full list:

http://toyota.spx.com/PDF/ToyotaMasterindex2005.pdf

The one that I need is part of the 09710-28012-01 set. This is the tool that removes the metal collar so I can install the new bushing. So my question is, does anybody know of a way I can get these out without having to buy the tool? Or, does anybody in the Dallas, Tx area know anybody that could (for a modest fee) pop those things out for me?

The parts. Luckily I have a cousin that works in the parts dept of a local Toyota dealership. He told me the 1st dealer was full of it and they do sell just the bushing. I called the "other" dealer in my area and sure enough, not only do they sell it, they had them in stock. $144/ea retail. I'll not tell you how much I paid for them thru my cousin's affiliation, but I will tell you that it's over 50%. I knew there was a hefty markup on these parts, but WOW!

Anyway, if anybody out there has any helpful hints it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm going to post a full DIY of the job once I'm done.

Thanks again!

could you please post the part number for replacement bushing. so i could have it when i go to lexus to order. thank you very much
Old 09-20-10, 02:41 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

As for needing the SST to remove the outer bush collar,I've removed that sort of thing in the past by careful cutting with a hacksaw and a suitably-sized drift and a hammer. you remove the collar by cutting through it from the inside until you JUST split it,then tap it out of the arm.

Then polish up the inside of the arm,fit your aftermarket bushes and away you go!

Justin...
Old 03-21-13, 07:30 AM
Corricopat
Driver School Candidate

Default Access to Lexus Club

I didn't know that we were required to post to buy and sell. I do not check this sight for that purpose anyway. At least for now!

I am interested in learning about my car, to see that my dealer is performing work properly, etc. Also, I can learn what a job ought to cost if I have it done elsewhere.

Anyway, it is useful to learn about things that go wrong or need replacement. I own a 2003 240LS. The "VSC power off" light has gone off at least 3 or 4 times a year in the last two years and recently has lit up 4 times in the last three months; the engine light comes on at the same time. Any advice?

Lexus offers no answers for the VSC issue other than asking about my fueling the car ("Do I run the engine while fueling?" Never.) and the "gas cap being tight" (Answer: I had it replaced new last summer and always twist it several times to lock it tightly.)

Any advice from ya'll?
Old 03-21-13, 07:46 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

most likely you have a DTC stored in ECU either Engine fault code or ABS fault code you cant guess why your light is on you need to have your car scanned for engine and abs codes
Old 03-21-13, 12:31 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered a set of Adus 610 polyurethane bushings for lower control arm. Will be doing that soon.
Old 03-21-13, 12:34 PM
ipwn
Rookie

Are you on about this bushing ? You can get it as a single..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS43...item3a7f7819a1
Old 07-27-13, 11:01 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to hear from anyone that has successfully done the lower rear control arm bushing replacement. My '05 LS had the clunks and creaks but two repair shops said everything checks out fine. I replaced the sway bar bushings and links and that corrected the clunking but not the low speed creaking. While I was under there I noticed the LCA bushings are both cracked as indicated in the picture.
How difficult is this job? Sawing and burning sounds like more trouble than it should be.
Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair-image.jpg  
Old 07-27-13, 11:41 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^
I replaced mine about 2 years ago. They unbolt separately (in metal housings). These bushings are oil filled and need to be pressed out and in. Bought 'em from the dealer at $65 each if I remember correctly. Work was done at the shop and was $130. You could need alingnment after it, my car needed it but if a mechanic is careful enough you'll be fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair