LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 10:57 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
What would be the average labor charge for 1 lower control arm swap? +change of bushings on both sides?
Do you need to change the whole arm? Most often only the large lower bushing needs to be replaced. Labor for both is about $250. You should also do an alignment.
Old 04-21-15, 02:06 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Do you need to change the whole arm? Most often only the large lower bushing needs to be replaced. Labor for both is about $250. You should also do an alignment.

I have a driver's arm that's bent, not really bent. But you can see some paint off of the arm falling off, like an inch or so (hit a curb last year). You can also see how the bushing is really stretched out of place, only weird thing is the car drives phenomenal. I think when I hit the curb, the arm didn't suffer much of the hit, but instead the part where the bushing and stud meet is the location that absorbed most of the hit.

This grabbed my attention after I lowered the car, you could really see how bad of a caster this issue is causing. So I called the nearest wrecking yard and they offered an LCA for $100, thought why not change it for the better.

So now, since I have to get a new bushing for this driver's side LCA that I will be replacing, I was wondering if I need to change the other bushing on the passengers side?

Are LCA bushings usually changed in pairs? Or is just changing the side with the new arm going to be fine? That's my question.

Old 04-21-15, 03:14 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, replace in pairs. Lowering puts more stress on them so it will be good.
Old 04-21-15, 04:43 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds good, thanks.

Just ordered a pair of OEM bushings, they call them caster bushings, which makes sense because they affect caster a lot. Got them brand new for $160 shipped for the pair.
Old 04-24-15, 11:55 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

What's the size of the bushing bolt, the caster bushing, I'm attempting a DIY.. Need to rent the right tools before I take everything apart.
Old 04-24-15, 07:07 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Just for reference, it is a size 22 bolt.
Old 04-26-15, 10:47 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Talking Lower Control Arm Bushing Removal

I've done this job myself on my IS F. The lower control arm busing and lower control arm itself are the same basic design. I'd really like to know the outside diameter of the LS 430 bushing since the IS F bushings are a better design. If the outside diameter of the LS 430 bushing is just over 3" then they are interchangeable. Here goes. This assumes the OD of the new busing is just over 3".

Loosen the fasteners on the lower control arm. There are three including the lower strut bolt. Do not remove just loosen.
Remove the nut securing the large lower control arm bushing.
Remove the two screws securing the aluminum large bushing bracket holding the large bushing.
Slide off the bushing bracket. Previously loosened fasteners make this easier.
Use a hydraulic press and a piece of 3" tubing (not 3" pipe, but tubing) an inch longer than the busing you are pressing. Take your time and evenly press out the bushing.
Use this 3" piece of tubing to press in the new bushing.
Reinstall everything. Torque to speck.

Remember the IS F bushings are a better idea. If they fit.

Loren
Old 04-27-15, 06:37 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lower caster bushing on the LS is pretty easy to replace. especially when you buy the GenB unit with the bracket. but just make sure when the bushing is reinstalled, the arrow is pointing the right way.
Old 04-27-15, 09:01 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

So I had my front wheels aligned on Friday, and tried to put the lower control arm back in place.

It's back in place now, but there still seems to be more caster.
The distance from the mudguard to the wheel is different on both sides. Distance is shorter on the driver's side, where I hit the curb.

So this means I have a bent LCA. I got a used one, which doesn't look too bad.
I have to install it, and measure the difference again. They have to be the same on both sides. Because where it's at right now, I rub on the driver's side if I'm riding low.

Name:  IMG_1114.jpg
Views: 4099
Size:  153.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 4191
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 07-24-15, 10:49 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all
Just fond this
http://www.hard-race.com.au/index.ph...product_id=638
If I am not mistaken this will last longer as my under stand it is made of soled header rubber. If so the ride will be stiffer as more NVH will be trasmited. But for the enthusiast it will be nicer.
Did any 1 have experience with this product or company.
Old 07-24-15, 11:12 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fixman
Hi all
Just fond this
http://www.hard-race.com.au/index.ph...product_id=638
If I am not mistaken this will last longer as my under stand it is made of soled header rubber. If so the ride will be stiffer as more NVH will be trasmited. But for the enthusiast it will be nicer.
Did any 1 have experience with this product or company.
Lexus use urethane not polyurethane. The rubber needs to be somewhat soft to absorb impact from rough road. If you go with poly it will significantly reduce ride quality.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-24-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 11:30 AM
Fixman
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the effect of harder bushes. As I have a 05 F150 with total chaos upper arm and Icont shook overs, the upper armes require frequent greasing or the squares become too mutch. Improved in on & off read stability and comfurt on hight speed driving on ruff terrain. But harsher ride on slow speeds evin smooth roads.
I just came cross that link an hour a go. And was just asking if any have more info or experience with that item.
Old 10-20-15, 04:11 AM
yibuy4n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<I just came cross that link an hour a go. And was just asking if any have more info or experience with that item.>

I"ve got the Poly-U lower control arm bushings on my '04 LS. They've been on about two years now.

The ride is a bit more harsh, and had to change the upper control arm on the right side within' a year, and now the driver side upper control arm is rattling. I have 17" rims on my LS, so the ride didn't get too much rougher; But when you hit a larger than normal pot hole, the car doesn't "soak it up" smoothly like it did before.

If you go with the Poly-U bushings, Grease the crap out of them with energy suspension lubricant. (I've had to pull mine out and re-lube twice, the squeaking is maddening!) This time, I'm going to drill little golf ball style dimples into the bugger this time to hold more lube.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...#ixzz3p6a7l1KK
Old 03-19-16, 01:05 PM
seve7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IM going to post here as this seems to be one of the more informative threads on the ls430 suspension. i drive my car for work, and dont plan on retiring it, but more or less doing a major restoration and rehab on it. the lcas are hard to find for a decent price, and really the only benefit to them is that they come with a new front bushing on it, camber bushing, or small bushing whatever you want to call it. the rear bushing has many vendors selling kits because this is the one to wear first because its "hollow" with a hydraulic fluid in it. but after some searching ive found a replacement for the front bushing. i cant find this on any parts catalogs or diagrams, its "part" of the lca it seems. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...+BUSH&_sacat=0

Last edited by seve7; 03-19-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 09:52 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm with you seve7 I mentioned in a previous thread that searching in the LS area is a lil trickier but keep digging and you'll stumble across the info.

I was all about poly bushings with my IS350 after buying some FIGS parts... but here on this platform it isn't the party favorite. I don't plan on any big mods for a couple of years so my suspension refresh will really be direct oem replacement parts and a couple high end aftermarket pieces.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair