Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-15, 02:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I just don't want to be paying anything close to $700 for the repair. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Of course I'm talking about doing both sides.
There are two bushing on the lower arm. One is replaceable and the other is not. The non replaceable and smaller bushing last twice as long if not longer then the main bushing. So, order the main bushings and pay for labor and alignment only. If you have not done it already the front and rear sway bar bushings are also cheap and very easy. It definitely improves the driving experience to replace both the front and back around 10 years or 100k miles. I have done mine and enjoy the improved ride quality.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-15-15 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (08-05-23)
Old 03-15-15, 02:51 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink Could you measure the ID

Could you guys doing this job please measure the inside diameter of the lower control arm opening or the outside diameter of the new bushing. If it is just over 3 inches I have used a piece of 3 inch steal tubing as an arbor for the press. Works great. I doubt if the location of the nipples at 9 and 3 o'clock has anything to do with it.

I think I know wear a bunch of bushings from the IS F are available cheap and they are better than the ones for the LS 430.

Loren
Old 03-16-15, 01:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Creaking not from control arm bushings

UPDATE: It turns out after having my LS430 looked at by my trusty local mechanic, the creaking noise seems to be coming from the passenger side strut. He did not find any of the bushings (including the lower control arm bushing) making the creaking noise. Now of course, the 2 struts are considerable more money to replace than the control arm bushings!!! I'm not planning on doing anything at this time since the noise is not over bearing and one must listen for it to notice it. In the mean time, I will be looking for other candidates for my LS430 replacement including 04-06 LS430s (but not more than 75,000 miles) M35s, RX350s, etc. Although the LS430 has served me well for the last 5 years with minimum up keep, they are expensive to repair when the miles pile on as I'm sure most cars are these days. It's too bad because I have 4 brand new MXV4s with less than 1,000 miles on the car, brand new brakes front and rear, new valve cover gaskets, and a brand spanking new OEM Mark Levinson subwoofer! It was a great ride!
Old 03-16-15, 05:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

You might want to get a second opinion. Struts are not common and they don't tend to creek when they go bad. Lower arm bushing are much more common then the struts. I have found that the bushing often don't look bad but are quite worn and soft. This includes the motor mounts. Struts are only $105 each. Replace in pairs. Unless you want a new car it is much less expensive to fix your current LS vs getter getting another vehicle. They are not particularly expensive if you source the parts yourself and pay for labor only.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-16-15 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-23-15, 11:04 AM
jazzygirl
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Worn Strut mounts

It is more likely the rubber strut mounts are worn, in my experience. You can get them for 46.00 each on Ebay.
Old 03-23-15, 12:44 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jazzygirl
It is more likely the rubber strut mounts are worn, in my experience. You can get them for 46.00 each on Ebay.
Turned out to be a bad strut and became more of an expensive proposition. Decided to replace both front struts.
Old 03-23-15, 12:47 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jazzygirl
Example of creaking strut mounts:
Old 03-23-15, 12:53 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ceedub53
Example of creaking strut mounts: Strut mount creak - YouTube
Thanks for the video, but not the creaking I was getting from my strut. In addition, when driving slowly, the car was making additional weird noises from the same side which the shop foreman said he heard through his stethoscope.
Old 03-23-15, 04:34 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Thanks for the video, but not the creaking I was getting from my strut. In addition, when driving slowly, the car was making additional weird noises from the same side which the shop foreman said he heard through his stethoscope.
Driving slowly, going over small seemingly insignificant bumps or small imperfections in the roadway will sometimes result in a "pop" or "growl" sound coming from the front end of my 02'. I replaced the front stabilizer bar bushings which resulted in a slight improvement but it is still there. I've lived with the noise now for 6-8 months but it is starting to bug me. The cars steers and handles perfect, tires are wearing even. Original struts have126k on them but seem fine as well. Beginning to suspect lower control arm bushings.
Old 03-23-15, 08:57 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Driving slowly, going over small seemingly insignificant bumps or small imperfections in the roadway will sometimes result in a "pop" or "growl" sound coming from the front end of my 02'. I replaced the front stabilizer bar bushings which resulted in a slight improvement but it is still there. I've lived with the noise now for 6-8 months but it is starting to bug me. The cars steers and handles perfect, tires are wearing even. Original struts have126k on them but seem fine as well. Beginning to suspect lower control arm bushings.
When suspension sounds are difficult to find, sometimes "chassis ears" can help in finding them.
Old 03-24-15, 10:37 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Easiest and cheapest start is to tighten the bolts for forward camber bushings on the lower control arm to 166 lb ft of torque. Often they'll loosen just a bit giving you these noises. If you've never replaced the bushings then you can be almost sure that they need replacing.
Old 03-24-15, 01:11 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Easiest and cheapest start is to tighten the bolts for forward camber bushings on the lower control arm to 166 lb ft of torque. Often they'll loosen just a bit giving you these noises. If you've never replaced the bushings then you can be almost sure that they need replacing.
Great tip, thanks I will try it!
Old 03-24-15, 03:33 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Great tip, thanks I will try it!
Just make sure you don't over tighten. Use a torque wrench, If you strip the threads, you will have a huge expense on your hands......not to mention the noise it will be making when too loose.
Old 03-24-15, 04:15 PM
ceedub53
Rookie

Just make sure you don't over tighten. Use a torque wrench, If you strip the threads, you will have a huge expense on your hands......not to mention the noise it will be making when too loose.
Thanks Boca!
Old 04-21-15, 10:24 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What would be the average labor charge for 1 lower control arm swap? +change of bushings on both sides?

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushing Repair