LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Mich Primacy MXV4 vs. Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 06:56 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mich Primacy MXV4 vs. Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus

So I did my research on the forums and of course there is a wide array of opinions for tires.

When I called America's/Discount Tires to setup an appointment, I spoke with the saleperson on the phone about that tire. He also recommended the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. He said that the A/S Plus had a slightly larger "foot print" which helps with cornering and braking and most closely matches the stock tire that comes on the car.

I compared the two info sheets on their website. It looks like the MXV4 is rated for a longer life, longer warranty, but 1 step lower speed rating (149mph). He also said this tire would be quieter during it's life.

The Pilot A/S is $30 more each.

What do you guys think?

First two tires listed...
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/fil...lr=*&x=52&y=15
Old 10-13-09, 07:01 PM
spender
Driver

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, I find it's got great traction, but a relatively harsh ride. Combined with the cushy suspension of the LS, it makes for an odd combination. The centre track on each tire makes them a little wacky at high speeds if you hit road debris. I personally wouldn't buy these tires again, but many have had good experiences with them.
Old 10-13-09, 07:10 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have any experience with either of the tires. i would say this what are u looking for in a tire? i mean are u gonna drive faster than 149mph? remember the guy is a salesmen first.. i would go for the tire that has the longer life, longer warranty, is quieter, and is cheaper. if i need to switch tires the primacy's will be on my lists of choices actually on top of the list..
Old 10-13-09, 07:41 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
When I called America's/Discount Tires to setup an appointment, I spoke with the saleperson on the phone about that tire. He also recommended the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. He said that the A/S Plus had a slightly larger "foot print" which helps with cornering and braking and most closely matches the stock tire that comes on the car.

I compared the two info sheets on their website. It looks like the MXV4 is rated for a longer life, longer warranty, but 1 step lower speed rating (149mph). He also said this tire would be quieter during it's life.

The Pilot A/S is $30 more each.

What do you guys think?
What size and what make do you currently have on the LS? Are you happy with the current tire's handling, properties, comfort, noise levels, etc?

I don't have any experience with either of the tires listed, but the higher speed rating on the Z will undoubtedly produce a harsher and more noisey ride because of the stiffer sidewall construction. Of course we want a tire to be the best of all worlds: cheapest, longest wearing, best in cornering/traction, quietest, most attractive footprint, highest temp rating, etc, but having ALL of those would probably be one weird looking tire.

Without doubt, I'd go for the MXV4 given those 2 choices you provided.

BTW...if those tires are the same size, how does the Sport A/S have a bigger "footprint" as the salesguy mentioned? Shouldn't they be identical?
Old 10-13-09, 08:00 PM
hot4travel
Driver School Candidate

From experience the MXV4's are a great tire. Smooth, quiet and really long wear life to them. I would definitely got with those
Old 10-13-09, 08:23 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

As far as I know the MXV4 has ComfortControl... it's truly tailored for comfortable driving and good handling when needed. You do not need the Pilot Sport A/S+ on your kind of car, I'd probably consider that on an IS-F were I looking for a higher treadwear rating.
Old 10-13-09, 09:27 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

My ultra came w/ new bridgestone turanza EL42's, which are rated as so-so. They are okay tires, not spectacular. On rough roads, you can feel the seems where there are cracks, but not the road's rough surface texture. Noise is low, but I wouldn't say super low...you can still hear the roughness a little. Next time, I plan to get the Michelin primacy MXV4's. I tried to get them before buying the car, but the dealer wouldn't upgrade them, and discount tire would give a max of $50/each credit. Although I wanted new tires, the economics call for just using what I have for a couple of years and getting new ones then.
Old 10-14-09, 02:38 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe not the TOP RATED, but definitely great value IMO, these are the one's I got few months ago! They ride nice!
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ORTAS&i1_Qty=4

priced much better than the PLUS version...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 10-14-09, 03:29 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hot4travel
From experience the MXV4's are a great tire. Smooth, quiet and really long wear life to them. I would definitely got with those
+1, I'll stick with Michelins
Old 10-14-09, 06:32 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

MXV4s are on my 05 Ultra and love em,, better ride and quietier than the OEM Dunlops,, would certainly by them again,, to buy a tire made for a sports car to place on a Luxo boat,,????????

Derry
Old 10-14-09, 06:43 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

MXV4's on my wife's LS are great; Pilot Sports on my Z4 BMW are even better but I would never put them on an LS430.
Old 10-14-09, 07:09 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

If you really want a Pilot tire, I'd probably recommend the Pilot Exalto A/S... it combines the best of both worlds: comfort and sportiness when you want it.
Old 10-14-09, 07:57 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Pilot Exalto A/S on my Allante and can vouch for the comfort and sportiness.
Old 10-14-09, 08:38 AM
danxp
Driver

i'll be putting primacy mxv4s on my ride this week... can't wait... i have such high expectations on these tires based on what everyone has said... we'll see if it meets those lofty hopes...

i'm getting them at costco for $930 (includes tax and $70 inst rebate) for the set... i've got 18s, btw...
Old 10-14-09, 09:41 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Primacy it is!

I called Costco and they sold the 245/45/18 Primacy for $217 each, plus $15/each installation, plus a disposal fee per each tire. $70 rebate. 1 week for installation

America's tires charges the same price at $217 each, $15/each install. $70 rebate. They can get them in two days. It's raining hard and my current tires are not in good shape.

Quick Reply: Mich Primacy MXV4 vs. Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus