Disable DRL -How?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 10:17 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pencil/Pen picker

Originally Posted by sojah
i think someone might have offered her a job planting tulips
Your resume looks quite IMPRESSIVE... and yes, you are more than qualified for our new position. All you'll be responsible for are to pick up any pencil or pens that may drop on the floor, and to replace any overhead lights that might blow out. Attire is not business but casual beach wear.
Old 10-13-09, 08:12 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so has anyone thought of maybe go to a toyota dealership? would they be able to do this? been thinking about this... but been super lazy to call to see how much they might charge.
Old 03-24-14, 01:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by bonafyd
My boy did mine for me 2yrs ago it's not easy but it's not hard either...if i was looking @ the car i could do it butit's hard to explaiin so i'll leave it @ that,i still think the $110 is crazy
Can anyone confirm that this info is correct. I am in the process of getting ready to install a LED DRL kit and I would like to disable the factory DRL's. I am being told that this is NOT an option via Toyota Techstream. I would ideally like to turn these off and keep high-beam functionality. One Lexus independent shop mentioned that these lights are in series and receive 6v's hence why they are dim.

My local dealership told me this is not an option. Any more insight?

Edit:

There is no fuse labeled DRL. There has to be a relay in there somewhere. Fuse 86 when pulled kills the high beams totally. Hmmm. There must be a way.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-24-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 05:51 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not sure if the DRLs trip the "bulb out" message but if so, take the bulbs out and put a resistor that matches the bulb resistance between the two contacts on the socket. If not, just take the bulbs out.
Old 03-24-14, 06:48 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Can anyone confirm that this info is correct. I am in the process of getting ready to install a LED DRL kit and I would like to disable the factory DRL's. I am being told that this is NOT an option via Toyota Techstream. I would ideally like to turn these off and keep high-beam functionality. One Lexus independent shop mentioned that these lights are in series and receive 6v's hence why they are dim.

Edit:

There is no fuse labeled DRL. There has to be a relay in there somewhere. Fuse 86 when pulled kills the high beams totally. Hmmm. There must be a way.
Depends on how old the dealers techstream is but ours does have the Lexus personalization settings present in our units. There isn't any difference in the techstreams between Toyota or Lexus dealers.
Old 03-24-14, 06:57 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you. This is good news. I went ahead and ordered this earlier today. I know this is not the oem interface cable but for the money it's worth a try. Seller has good ratings so I wanted to give it a try. Comes with version 9.00.025
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261412181153
Old 03-24-14, 07:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RushNatU
I'm not sure if the DRLs trip the "bulb out" message but if so, take the bulbs out and put a resistor that matches the bulb resistance between the two contacts on the socket. If not, just take the bulbs out.
Pulling fuse 86 does the same thing and does not cause any problems but I want to preserve high-beam functionality.
Old 03-24-14, 07:15 PM
RushNatU
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Pulling the fuse kills power to the circuit. A resistor in place of a bulb tricks the circuit into thinking a bulb is there when it really isn't. You still retain high beams but no DRLs
Old 03-24-14, 08:03 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry, I don't get it. Please explain why anyone would chose to eliminate a very effective safety feature ?
Old 03-24-14, 08:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu
Sorry, I don't get it. Please explain why anyone would chose to eliminate a very effective safety feature ?
I'm adding a LED DRL kit. I don't need both. I'm also not a fan of the dated yellow look of the stock high-beam at 6v style of DRLs.
Old 03-24-14, 08:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RushNatU
Pulling the fuse kills power to the circuit. A resistor in place of a bulb tricks the circuit into thinking a bulb is there when it really isn't. You still retain high beams but no DRLs
I see what you mean. That probably would be my next option if I can't get the Techstream to work. I like the idea of all the other options I can set as well as odb2 code reading.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-25-14 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 09:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo

Edit:

The dealer disabled my DRL for me and I still have my high beam option. I had them make a series of adjustments like also disabling the steering column that automatically moves everytime the door is opened.

I think they charged me something like 3/4 hr in labor (around $85) but I could make as many adjustments for the same price.

Attached is a list of all the different options they can program.

I will say most Lexus service advisers are clueless and I basically had to go to a different adviser to get it done with this list printed out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lexus dealer programming.pdf (151.3 KB, 837 views)
Old 03-25-14, 09:44 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you Brad. You don't have the PDF for 04-06 models do you?
Old 03-25-14, 11:34 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

you should post some photos once you get your LED DRL's in. Ive been thinking about doing this for a while, but i didn't know you had to get a whole new kit to do so. On my SC you could just pull out the bulb and slip a LED in and it works fine and looks great.
Old 03-25-14, 12:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by empringham
you should post some photos once you get your LED DRL's in. Ive been thinking about doing this for a while, but i didn't know you had to get a whole new kit to do so. On my SC you could just pull out the bulb and slip a LED in and it works fine and looks great.
I will for sure. I went with the Phillips DRL kit. It seems to be the most professional I could find.

Amazon.com: Philips 12824WLEDX1 DayLight 8 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running Light: Automotive Amazon.com: Philips 12824WLEDX1 DayLight 8 High Powered Luxeon LED Daytime Running Light: Automotive

I'm envisioning something like this. Could not find a LS430 pic.
Attached Thumbnails Disable DRL -How?-led-drl-lamp-020.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-25-14 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Disable DRL -How?