LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Taillamp failure

Old 09-03-09, 02:51 PM
KSLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillamp failure

2001 LS430 -

A taillamp failure message has showed up on my dash along with the exclamation mark inside the red triangle.

All of my lights check out o.k. , lights, turn signal, brakes etc.

What does anyone think is going on, (computer glitch?), and can I clear this message off my dash panel myself?

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-03-09, 03:26 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you recently change any of the bulbs to LEDs?
Old 09-03-09, 07:28 PM
stock_sc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what i would do is check the bulbs. mines did that the other day and there was a burnt bulb. everything looked okai. did u check the high tail light also?
Old 09-03-09, 09:33 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the high intensity is out when you step on the brakes. Did you check with someone doing all the lights and stepping? Something has to be out... doubt it's a glitch. Also, it seems for '04-'06 atleast that the system does not check the high center mount light as many here have ran with it blown and no indicator. Also, I installed LED there and no indicator.
Old 09-04-09, 12:52 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Taillamp failure!!!

Originally Posted by KSLS
2001 LS430 -

A taillamp failure message has showed up on my dash along with the exclamation mark inside the red triangle.

What does anyone think is going on, (computer glitch?), and can I clear this message off my dash panel myself?

Thanks everyone.
I had the same warning and is was a bulb that was out. It couldnt be seen when I was out of the car. It was visible only when I would brake. The dealer gave me a break and just told me go to parts and buy the bulb and replaced it for me in the service bay and didnt charge labor at all! Think its a light you cant see visibly thats out sir. Let dealer check it out the computer in the car notifies us when malfunctions happen and could be a issue that isnt easily seen! L.G.N.M
Old 09-04-09, 10:19 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Seems like a easy, quick solution would be to just replace all the bulbs, since you have to go in there to replace the unidentified failed one.
Old 09-04-09, 01:59 PM
CG lover
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the third tail light bulb does not register on the dash when burned out,,

mine was out at the annual inspection and the dealer told me,, they wanted $35 to replace it and it was $3 at Auto Parts and about 3 minutes to do,,

Derry
Old 09-04-09, 05:20 PM
AlexusAnja

Default What the...

Originally Posted by CG lover
the third tail light bulb does not register on the dash when burned out,,

mine was out at the annual inspection and the dealer told me,, they wanted $35 to replace it and it was $3 at Auto Parts and about 3 minutes to do,,

Derry
This is why people don't like the dealerships... $35 to replace a bulb that costs $1 to them and then about 30 seconds tops to do. Push cover to left, flip open, unscrew bulb, screw on new bulb, flip back down and push to right.

Incredible...

Have someone step on the lights for you, I'm sure there is one out when the brake is stepped on.
Old 09-10-09, 12:16 PM
KSLS
Driver School Candidate

Well, I can't help but not think that I have a computer glithch now. On Saturday morning when I got in the car to head out for Lincoln and expecting the taillamp failure message to come on as soon as I put car in reverse, it didn't (??) I drove to Lincoln and back (approx. 400 miles) and as of today, Thursday, the message has not come back.

(Now I am sure having said that, that as I am driving home tonight -wahlah! - the "Taillamp Failure" will come back)

By the way, I rechecked all the lights again and still could not find one out.
Thought maybe one of the license plate lights were the cause but they are both working.
Old 09-10-09, 01:16 PM
AlexusAnja

... expecting the taillamp failure message to come on as soon as I put car in reverse, it didn't (??) I drove to Lincoln and back (approx. 400 miles) and as of today, Thursday, the message has not come back...
So it comes on after you put into reverse? Then I would say your reverse light is out. Did you check that? Then again, the light is not coming on, so it should be working.

Next time it shows up again, then do a quick check. Hey, maybe the warning on so long, the computer just said "ah, forget it."
Old 09-10-09, 02:58 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by ksls
2001 ls430 -

a taillamp failure message has showed up on my dash along with the exclamation mark inside the red triangle.

What does anyone think is going on, (computer glitch?), and can i clear this message off my dash panel myself?

Thanks everyone.
did you recently replace any of the bulbs to leds?????????????
Old 09-11-09, 06:37 AM
KSLS
Driver School Candidate

Sure enough - the failure light came on again but this time when I checked all the back lights, the brake light that is in the back window (high brake light?) did not come on.

Does any one have a DIY for replacing this bulb? Do I have to take the whole upper trunk liner out or is there a better or more right way to do this?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-11-09, 08:01 AM
KSLS
Driver School Candidate

Searched Forum and found replacement info.

Big thanks to AlexusAnja's post and pictures.
Thanks again to all.
Old 09-11-09, 04:19 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Question

Sure enough - the failure light came on again but this time when I checked all the back lights, the brake light that is in the back window (high brake light?) did not come on.
So...are we concluding that, the 01-03 LS's center (high mounted) brake light was supervised for bulb failure, yet 04-06 is not?
Old 09-11-09, 04:32 PM
KSLS
Driver School Candidate

Picked up a replacement bulb on way home tonight. Package of 2 was $7.50 so I have a spare. Brake light housing came right up after a little smack to the left and carefully lifting it up and out. Hardest part was getting the bulb assembly/socket to reset/sync in housing.

Big thanks again to instructions found on forum posted by AlexusAnja.

To LS430inDE,
my failure message is gone after replacing the bulb. For the life of me, I don't know why Lexus would remove that info on the 04-06 years as I would like to someday trade up to that vintage.

Thanks again to all who take the time too reply to these posts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taillamp failure