LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Another Smart Key Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-09, 07:35 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another Smart Key Issue

I have an 06 LS Ultra. Tonight I left the house and when arriving at my destination I was unable to switch my car off. I could turn the ignition far enough to stop the engine but not far enough to turn off the accessories. When I tried to restart the car the engine would turn over but would not start. Finally I disconnected the battery and the dealership is sending a rollback for the car tomorrow.
Has anyone experienced a problem like this?
Old 08-20-09, 04:52 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no offense but my wife did experience this onece and the car wasn't 100% in P (park). it sort of seemed like it was in P but somehow got stuck like 95% locked into P. something was making it stick right before P so i had to pull it down and jam it back into P. crisis averted.

hopefully your problem is something simple like this.
Old 08-20-09, 02:03 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by sojah
no offense but my wife did experience this onece and the car wasn't 100% in P (park). it sort of seemed like it was in P but somehow got stuck like 95% locked into P. something was making it stick right before P so i had to pull it down and jam it back into P. crisis averted.

hopefully your problem is something simple like this.
Yes, I tried moving the shift stick in and out of Park many times, but no fix. They came and got my car last night and left a new LS. What a dirty trick.
Old 08-20-09, 03:04 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Now drive... drive away...

Originally Posted by DNC
Yes, I tried moving the shift stick in and out of Park many times, but no fix. They came and got my car last night and left a new LS. What a dirty trick.
now drive that LS460 to somewhere where no one can find you...
Old 08-20-09, 03:38 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got a new ls for a loaner?? now i'm really jealous, every freakin time i get a stupid es and occasionally maybe an rx but man i've even said okay i'll settle for a gs but nooooo, a stupid es every time. they always tell me they only have like one ls and it is already loaned out at the moment. nice one!!!

yeah thats a good selling tactic on their part i figure.
Old 08-20-09, 03:52 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
now drive that LS460 to somewhere where no one can find you...
I'm sure there is someone hidding in the trunk in case I deside to abscond.
They called today to say they could not get my car to repeat the troubled process. I am glad the tow truck driver saw and tried it too. It has to be something with the security system. The car would not shut completely off, nor would the engine start; it would only spin.
Old 08-20-09, 06:33 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Engine shut off

Originally Posted by DNC
I'm sure there is someone hidding in the trunk in case I deside to abscond.
They called today to say they could not get my car to repeat the troubled process. I am glad the tow truck driver saw and tried it too. It has to be something with the security system. The car would not shut completely off, nor would the engine start; it would only spin.
Yeah,once you leave the state border, Gary Coleman jumps out of the trunk and goes "where you goin' Willis?!?!??!"

I would like to think the alarm system would disengage the engine and not even let it crank. Not just let it crank and crank. Hopefully you get the car back and it doesn't happen again.
Old 08-20-09, 08:40 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed nothing worse than not being able to duplicate the problem when your trying to get it fixed. seriously though.... you got an LS loaner? the dealerships by me all have base ES's and base RX's only. It kind of sucks.
Old 08-20-09, 09:28 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by froboy272
agreed nothing worse than not being able to duplicate the problem when your trying to get it fixed. seriously though.... you got an LS loaner? the dealerships by me all have base ES's and base RX's only. It kind of sucks.
Yes, they did give me a new LS loaner. It's a nice car, short wheelbase model. When they drop in price, in about 3 years, I will be interested in a long wheelbase AWD model. I have not found anything I don't like about the car yet, except that crazy hidden cruise control stalk. It looks like an after thought.
Old 08-21-09, 05:18 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Issue

Originally Posted by DNC
Yes, they did give me a new LS loaner. It's a nice car, short wheelbase model. When they drop in price, in about 3 years, I will be interested in a long wheelbase AWD model. I have not found anything I don't like about the car yet, except that crazy hidden cruise control stalk. It looks like an after thought.
Yeah, the AWD is only version I would CONSIDER trading my 430 in for. The standard or LWB doesn't interest me particularly...

I find the cruise on a stalk less easy to use than the ones right on the steering wheel. Something about have to flip and pull and push, just strange...

Anyway, is your issue "resolved" for now? I know the dealer did nothing, but was there a "diagnostic" charge?
Old 08-21-09, 02:18 PM
DNC
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Yeah, the AWD is only version I would CONSIDER trading my 430 in for. The standard or LWB doesn't interest me particularly...

I find the cruise on a stalk less easy to use than the ones right on the steering wheel. Something about have to flip and pull and push, just strange...

Anyway, is your issue "resolved" for now? I know the dealer did nothing, but was there a "diagnostic" charge?
The dealership called today with more questions. They are still trying to duplicate the problem or get Lexus to go ahead and approve replacement. I hope they can; I would hate for this to happen again late at night.
Old 08-22-09, 07:40 PM
Budhah
Driver

Originally Posted by DNC
Lucky you.. I had 30k mile service done at Plaza Lexus in St. Louis, and got a dirty Camry loaner,,, Was a pile of junk,, and had actually thought about buying my wife a new Camry before driving that CLUNKER... had little power and really loud on the highway.. Lucky you... Now the Avalon is much better, but still no Lexus... Ex much nicer than the one I had.