LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 Ls 430 Whats the difference sport suspension package or regular?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 11:03 PM
Roc_415
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2004 Ls 430 Whats the difference sport suspension package or regular?

I wanted to know if some one knew what exactly comes with the sport suspension package for the 2004 Ls 430? Here's a pic of mine
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Ls 430 Whats the difference sport suspension package or regular?-lexbb3.jpg  
Old 08-18-09, 02:40 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats, like the color combo.
Sport Package with Polished-Finish Alloy Wheels
- Euro-tuned Sport Suspension
- 18-in polished-finish alloy wheels with P245/45R18 tires [4]
Old 08-18-09, 05:20 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
- Euro-tuned Sport Suspension
Are these different shocks? Shocks and springs? Part numbers? Could a car without this option (and without air suspension) achieve the same ride characteristics with aftermarket 18" wheels and different shocks?
Old 08-18-09, 08:49 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

IIRC, the bushings are slightly less compliant as well as springs, shocks and rear roll bar being different. Not certain, but I think I recall seeing those details listed someplace that seemed reliable. It's been a while since I drove a Sport Suspension car, but my recollection was that it felt a good bit like my car with the Tein CS set on ~6 out of 16 valve positions (or however many it has). ALTHOUGH, here in Florida with the billiard-table-smooth roads that are generally laser-straight you don't really get a chance to compare the finer points of suspension setups. I'm sure that in the right circumstances you could notice the roll bar and bushing differences, and the bushing difference might be readily evident on most any roads if you could do a back-to-back comparison.
Old 08-18-09, 09:21 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm guessing you live in central or south fl then cuz there are plenty of roads in and around tallahassee that you could test a cars suspension on. i wonder how much of a different feeling there is between the sport suspension edition and my ul with it on setting 9 (via controller) and some low pro 19's in sport mode??? seriously.
Old 08-18-09, 09:47 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sojah,
I drove an 05 Ultra and then an 05 sport and wound up with the sport because I liked the extra firmness and responsiveness of that model as opposed to the "town car" ride of the Ultra.
As you can see, I have two sport models and the 05 is firmer than the 02 and I attribute that to the tires which are 18's instead of 17's and a lower profile so not as much tire roll. The suspension parts are the same on each car tho.
Old 08-18-09, 09:54 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
i'm guessing you live in central or south fl then cuz there are plenty of roads in and around tallahassee that you could test a cars suspension on. i wonder how much of a different feeling there is between the sport suspension edition and my ul with it on setting 9 (via controller) and some low pro 19's in sport mode??? seriously.
Extreme NE FL FTW! Frankly, can't stomach central or south.

I spent most of my years in TN where there are literally hundreds of miles of well-paved Road America type roads, no cops, practically no traffic, and near unlimited opportuntiy to enjoy a performance car or bike. There might be a tiny place like that somewhere over near Tallahassee, but it's got to be pretty limited compared to what I'd call good roads for performance driving.

Not exactly an asnwer to your question, but there's a post on here where a member test-drove a UL on sport setting and a Sport Suspension car back to back and said that the UL wasn't very close to the Sport. I don't recall what thread it's in, but I think I showed up with a search of +"LS430" +"Sport Suspension".
Old 08-18-09, 10:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i grew up in melbourne (cocoa area), but yeah fl is always home for me.

just lowering a car will give it more of a sporty handling and feel as well as some high performance tires and new brakes will definitely improve the driving and handling capabilities of any car.

does the ls430 sport edition have front and rear sway bars?? what about the control arms?
Old 08-18-09, 10:09 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
i grew up in melbourne (cocoa area), but yeah fl is always home for me.

just lowering a car will give it more of a sporty handling and feel as well as some high performance tires and new brakes will definitely improve the driving and handling capabilities of any car.

does the ls430 sport edition have front and rear sway bars?? what about the control arms?
Yeah, that's not a bad area down there close to the coast.

Sport and non-sport both have front and rear bars, but I think the rear bar is stiffer on the Sport. I'm pretty sure the control arms are the same, but just the bushings are reportedly stiffer on the Sport.
Old 08-18-09, 04:32 PM
Roc_415
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feed back, Now I am wondering if its worth changing the springs & struts or just leaving it stock with the sport package...I do want to put on some 20 inch wheels also.... any more suggestions?
Old 08-18-09, 04:46 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

I suggest 19's if u wanna retain that sporty feeling and plus anything heavier than stock will make the car a lot slower and handle worse. Everybody sleeps on 19's but they are the new 20's

If u wanna lower it all u will have to look at different springs or go with the better choice of coilovers, I hear the tein cs (comfort sport) are a nice option.
Old 08-18-09, 06:22 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Roc_415
Thanks for the feed back, Now I am wondering if its worth changing the springs & struts or just leaving it stock with the sport package...I do want to put on some 20 inch wheels also.... any more suggestions?
What are you looking to accomplish by changing the springs/shocks? Are you looking to change the feel on the road, to lower it, or something else?
Old 08-18-09, 08:31 PM
Roc_415
Driver School Candidate

I WANTED BETTER HANDLING WITH 2O INCH WHEELS....I'M THINKING OF GOING WITH SOME MRR HR2 SILVER WHEELS....i6 DO YOU HAVE A PIC OF YOURS WITH THE 19'S?
Old 08-18-09, 09:38 PM
Roc_415
Driver School Candidate

I did a little browsing & found the pic's I like the mrr hr2 silver for my Ls 430
Old 08-18-09, 11:08 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You will most likely will have to change the suspension set up once wheels are installed, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. A worth switch to adjustable coilovers or a firmer shock/spring combo will do the trick.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ls 430 Whats the difference sport suspension package or regular?