LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

how much do you pay for oil change ?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-09, 01:01 PM
bassil2022
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much do you pay for oil change ?!!!

how much do you guys pay for oil change and filter?
I just bought my LS430 UL month ago. I went to one of a good repairers called Southern Import. I took a quote for doing couple of things like:

1. changing oil and oil filter with a check list they do ($ 100- 125) they use full synthetic mobil 1 oil
2. change A/c filter since the monitor told me to change ($87 for both front and rear) + the part price, they said it cost $51 for the front and $76 for rear
3. tire rotation ($15)
4. fixing the driver side mirror because it does not go up or down just left and right ($72.49 just to check what is the problem).

so we are looking at something between $350-400
is that normal or not?? because this is my first time to do oil change and maintenance. Also, I don't want to take my car to a cheap place like Walmart or so.

any suggestions.
Old 08-10-09, 03:04 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how handy you are, but the things you listed are some of the easiest DIY things, but anyway...

1. Is this a dealership? $125 seems steep for synthetic, although for $125, that would be cheap for a dealership. I would think $90 for synthetic at a "3rd party" shop is about right.

2. The cost to change the filters is crazy. Those A/C filters are pull out and put in, no screw driver even needed. I would say 15 min. in labor rate tops, and parts are too much too. The filters are only $30 tops, at most. Go online to a sponsored seller here and buy off of them, then bring to get replaced.

3. Tire rotation? Have him throw it in with that crazy high oil change charge.

4. The mirrors only tilt down when you reverse if the mirror adjuster slider is flipped to "L"eft or "R"ight. If it's in center, the mirror will not tilt. Just check, you might have just saved $75. You can paypal me the charge.
Old 08-10-09, 03:50 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i paid $55 at the dealership for castrol synthec-blend
Old 08-10-09, 03:58 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

$50.59 (out the door) at the dealer synthec oil blend.
Old 08-10-09, 04:51 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My Lexus dealer charged $69 for Mobil 1, Lexus filter and drain gasket (out the door including tax).
Old 08-10-09, 07:01 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

$83 for standard oil (non-synthetic) including tax at the local Lexus dealers here.

Front AC filter takes a whopping 2 minutes to swap out. Just open the glove box, remove the tray, open the panel and swap out. Reverse to put back together.

Tire rotation depends on the dealers. Some do it for free while other charges.

Diagnostic usually is 1/2 hours labor but again varies on the dealer.
Old 08-11-09, 04:47 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't know how you guys are getting such cheap oil changes from the lex dealerships???? i stopped going when the one time i got a change for 80$ they (lex) told me it was a mistake and should have charged 100$. for the 3 years i had my old gs i took it to a trustworthy jiffy lube then they raised the prices from like 60$ to like 90$ (synthetic - mobil1) so i found this mom and pop shop that changes my ls oil (regular) for 22$ tax filter and oil, but no fluid fill up unfortunately so i just buy the washer fluid and whatever else separately. just got it done yesterday afternoon for $22 and you can't beat this. cept for they always leave some sort of dirt spot somewhere, but yeah maybe i should say something about this.
Old 08-11-09, 05:29 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil change $60.00. Bring your own filter, $55. I used to go for an oil change to castrol fast lube (every 7th oil change is free. ha-ha stupid me. Was looking at the receipts and noticed that i was paying $65 before the free oil change and $75 right after the "free" oil change). And I love when some of them do fluid fill up and start spilling washer fluid all over the engine bay or get in my car with their oily clothe cuz they need to start the car when i'm standing right there.
Old 08-11-09, 05:39 AM
AlexusAnja

Default The good life...

Originally Posted by sojah
i don't know how you guys are getting such cheap oil changes from the lex dealerships???? i stopped going when the one time i got a change for 80$ they (lex) told me it was a mistake and should have charged 100$. ...
If you want to play, you gotta pay. Unfortunately, living in the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic states, you gotta pay more to play. No dealers I know of from south Conn. down to Maryland probably charges anything less than $150 for synthetic. You might get by with occasional specials of $125 or something. This before taxes...

I need to move to Arizone and get my $55 synthetic changes...
Old 08-11-09, 07:15 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pay about $30 for the Mobil 1 Synthetic and filter. Then I spend about 20mins changing the oil myself.
Old 08-11-09, 07:44 AM
tomkirklan
Driver

I always do my own minor work such as oil changes, air filters etc... Is there a reason everyone else takes their car to the dealer?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-11-09, 08:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to busy to do it myself and then i don't want to deal with bringing a giant oily container down to some drop off place. i pay 22$ for oil changes + filter (price includes everything including tax) in the last year, this to me is worth the $$ and hassle of not having to take 30 mins of my own time. however if it was like 100$$ no way.

i used to use clippers to cut my own hair, did this for about 4 years saved at least 12$ a month but it took me an hour each time and then i had to clean up the bathroom. now i just pay for it.
Old 08-11-09, 08:29 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
If you want to play, you gotta pay. Unfortunately, living in the NorthEast/Mid-Atlantic states, you gotta pay more to play. No dealers I know of from south Conn. down to Maryland probably charges anything less than $150 for synthetic. You might get by with occasional specials of $125 or something. This before taxes...

I need to move to Arizone and get my $55 synthetic changes...
i only pay about 55 at my dealer and im right outside of Philly
Old 08-11-09, 08:30 AM
bassil2022
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I don't know how handy you are, but the things you listed are some of the easiest DIY things, but anyway...

1. Is this a dealership? $125 seems steep for synthetic, although for $125, that would be cheap for a dealership. I would think $90 for synthetic at a "3rd party" shop is about right.

2. The cost to change the filters is crazy. Those A/C filters are pull out and put in, no screw driver even needed. I would say 15 min. in labor rate tops, and parts are too much too. The filters are only $30 tops, at most. Go online to a sponsored seller here and buy off of them, then bring to get replaced.

3. Tire rotation? Have him throw it in with that crazy high oil change charge.

4. The mirrors only tilt down when you reverse if the mirror adjuster slider is flipped to "L"eft or "R"ight. If it's in center, the mirror will not tilt. Just check, you might have just saved $75. You can paypal me the charge.
1. unfortunately,this is not a dealer, its just auto repairer. That's what I thought at the beginning $100-125 is so $$$. So, I am not going to do it with them. I went to a Toyota dealer, and they will change the oil and oil filter + other services for $51.02 plus tax and disposal.

2. I don't know much about A/C filters. is it the same as the cabin filter or its different?? if its the same, I'm going to get it and replace them by myself but I need to know where do they located. Any idea??

3. the tire rotation, I think Toyota dealer will do it for me with the services or they would charge the amount. I did not ask them yet.

4. I checked and did that before and still not working. As I said only Up and Down are working. To be more clear about this. When I put the gear on "R" Revers, the passenger mirror side tilts to down, but the driver side doesn't. Also, when I put the switch on UP or DOWN and try to move the mirror, it doesn't move. On the other hand, when I put the switch on LEFT or RIGHT, the mirror move left and right.
Old 08-11-09, 09:09 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Clarification

Originally Posted by bassil2022
.. 2. I don't know much about A/C filters. is it the same as the cabin filter or its different?? if its the same, I'm going to get it and replace them by myself but I need to know where do they located. Any idea??

4. I checked and did that before and still not working. As I said only Up and Down are working. To be more clear about this. When I put the gear on "R" Revers, the passenger mirror side tilts to down, but the driver side doesn't. Also, when I put the switch on UP or DOWN and try to move the mirror, it doesn't move. On the other hand, when I put the switch on LEFT or RIGHT, the mirror move left and right.
#2. One and the same. Do you have the UL edition (does your rear center armrest have AC and radio controls?) because if not, there are no seat filters for the back, just front. Cabin filter is easy job.

#4. So your driver's side is bad then. Either a short, or the power mirror is just busted. I would say if not under warranty, then try e-bay, they have many sellers selling the mirrors.

Quick Reply: how much do you pay for oil change ?!!!