LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

how much do you pay for oil change ?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 06:38 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

You guys make good points on paying someone to do something you can do yourself. However I can cut my grass and change my own oil but I only have so much time to do certain things and can't be everywhere at once without getting behind. Also quality of life plays huge part that I get to use that time wisely for other things such as work around the house, spending time with my son and his sports he plays, time with the wife etc. Also my job consumes a lot of my time along with sitting in freaking traffic five days a week, I'm always on the go so paying people to do certain things works for me not so much for others.
Old 08-15-09, 01:59 PM
djlinux64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$20 bought Castrol GTX 5w-30 and filter at Advance Auto Parts and changed everything myself.

If you want your oil changed for a low price do it at any gas station. They are usually very good and offer honest low cost service. I talked to a managed of an independent shop and they usually barely make $10 on the service. It is even cheaper if you use their oil because they buy it in bulk and get a discount. Change oil often and you are good to go!

Seriously, these engines have low specific output so oil is not very stressed at all. Don't worry about it. Just change it as frequently as you like: Non-synthetic 3000mi, Synthetic 7500mi. If you choose to get top shelf oil such as Redline or AMSOIL you can go 15K between changes.
Old 08-15-09, 02:12 PM
djlinux64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tee
You guys make good points on paying someone to do something you can do yourself. However I can cut my grass and change my own oil but I only have so much time to do certain things and can't be everywhere at once without getting behind. Also quality of life plays huge part that I get to use that time wisely for other things such as work around the house, spending time with my son and his sports he plays, time with the wife etc. Also my job consumes a lot of my time along with sitting in freaking traffic five days a week, I'm always on the go so paying people to do certain things works for me not so much for others.
Statistically speaking, I will assume your overall moving average is 30 miles per hour. Changing your oil every 3000 miles (insane for your car but some people do it) would mean about 20 minutes of work every 100 hours of driving. If you go the extended route and pay a few more dollars, you will only need to spend 20 minutes of changing oil every 500 hours of driving. That is such an insignificant amount of time that you would be better off getting your sons to help you out than wasting extreme amounts of cash at the dealer for insignificant stuff like that. Of course, you can always come to my shop and add the silver lining to my wallet
Old 08-15-09, 03:25 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The I don't have time to change my own oil is, I'd bet, incorrect as well. I think it takes me 20-30minutes tops to change the oil in my LS. Living in San Jose is not too bad as they take away motor oil and filters with regular garbage collection. They even give you the jugs and the filter bag. I wonder how long it would take at the dealer. Drive down there, wait in a line for 3 or 4 minutes, tell 'em what you want done, fill out some paperwork, give 'em the keys, go sit down for 25 or 35 or 45 minutes. They come back out, you sign some more paperwork, wait for some clown to drive your car around, get your keys and you're gone. Worse yet, they give you some loaner car. Now ya gotta make another trip back to get your car.
Old 08-15-09, 03:47 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by djlinux64
Statistically speaking, I will assume your overall moving average is 30 miles per hour. Changing your oil every 3000 miles (insane for your car but some people do it) would mean about 20 minutes of work every 100 hours of driving. If you go the extended route and pay a few more dollars, you will only need to spend 20 minutes of changing oil every 500 hours of driving. That is such an insignificant amount of time that you would be better off getting your sons to help you out than wasting extreme amounts of cash at the dealer for insignificant stuff like that. Of course, you can always come to my shop and add the silver lining to my wallet
I think you were you meant to quote someone else, I change my oil every 5K not 3K. Also my dealer is really close to my job (7min tops) I either get a loaner or get a ride & picked upped by someone from the dealer. It really is a smooth transition and works well for me, my oil gets changed while at work so no waiting around for me.
Old 08-16-09, 08:09 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only got the oil change at the dealer once and it was way to long of a wait and way to expensive, so campisi is right about this.

the shop on my way home from work does it in about 25 mins (if i call and they say they are not busy), so i sit in their waiting area checking all my emails that accumulate throughout the day (from my g1 phone), pay my $22 and i'm out the door.

you just have to pick and choose what works for you.

i spent a good 3-4 hours yesterday detailing the interior of my car, installing hub centric wheel rings, using never dull to shine up the used rims i purchased last month, and also shining up the tires. all of this after having my car run through an automatic wash the day before... i also waxed & claybared my car (first time on this ls) a couple weeks ago and man that sure ate up a lot of time (like 4 hours) but i think it turned out really nicely so i was pleased, plus the detailer guy said something like $200+ which i wasn't cool with so yeah.

i prefer to do stuff that i want done a certain way and well these things would have cost way to much money to get done by a detailer and i find it fun to be able to look at it afterwards and get satisfaction from a job well done.

on a side note i payed for my engine bay to get detailed last year after doing it myself for 6 years straight. this detail shop up the road from my place said $30 and i figured what the hell. i'd never seen the engine bay so shiny before even after spending an hour of my own time. so this is prolly another job i will add to the list of paying a shop to do, well this particular shop at least. this is no excuse for not keeping it clean afterwards though, just a yearly engine bay detail after winter or something, you know??

i just don't feel the same about oil changes i guess. no satisfaction, i can't see the fruits of my labor. i prefer to pay $22 and wait 25 mins. but i did get a lot of satisfaction from changing out my rotors and pads last spring on my old gs400 its like you could 'literally' feel the difference

Last edited by sojah; 08-16-09 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-20-09, 07:37 PM
Tee

Man my oil change at the dealer got a little cheaper, I paid $47.22 out the door yesterday.
Old 08-20-09, 07:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just payed 50 bucks total for valvoline synthetic at the near by GM quick lube. Coffee cookie chat with the guys and if I get there sat 8 am out the door in 25 minutes. I drive all highway miles change, it at 5-6 k and oil still looks almost clear. I will use less than 1/2 quart. No ramps no oil to dump just alot less hassle for me.
Old 08-22-09, 07:47 PM
Budhah
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bassil2022
1. unfortunately,this is not a dealer, its just auto repairer. That's what I thought at the beginning $100-125 is so $$$. So, I am not going to do it with them. I went to a Toyota dealer, and they will change the oil and oil filter + other services for $51.02 plus tax and disposal.

2. I don't know much about A/C filters. is it the same as the cabin filter or its different?? if its the same, I'm going to get it and replace them by myself but I need to know where do they located. Any idea??

3. the tire rotation, I think Toyota dealer will do it for me with the services or they would charge the amount. I did not ask them yet.

4. I checked and did that before and still not working. As I said only Up and Down are working. To be more clear about this. When I put the gear on "R" Revers, the passenger mirror side tilts to down, but the driver side doesn't. Also, when I put the switch on UP or DOWN and try to move the mirror, it doesn't move. On the other hand, when I put the switch on LEFT or RIGHT, the mirror move left and right.

Marion Toyota Marion Illinois $66 oil change and tire rotation,, plus wash job,, but not towel dry... quick and no appointment needed... have wifi inside, and played with my netbook while waiting for the whole 40 min.
Old 08-23-09, 10:34 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LRoy430ul
I pay about $30 for the Mobil 1 Synthetic and filter. Then I spend about 20mins changing the oil myself.
x2 thats exactly what i do...
Originally Posted by Tee
spending time with my son and his sports he plays, time
well yeah i always do things with my nephew but he loves it when i work on the car, he gets a cardboard and lays right under the car with me and watches
Originally Posted by Tee
Man my oil change at the dealer got a little cheaper, I paid $47.22 out the door yesterday.
they think you might want to start doing your own changes
Old 08-24-09, 05:00 AM
Tee

Stop busting my ***** shlom!
Old 08-24-09, 05:07 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless the dealer is 5 minutes away, and the oil change only takes 15 min... I don't see how bringing to a dealer is "saving time" or even saving money for that matter.

I know we're rich people driving the LS and if you like going to the dealer to show off, then admit it... ha ha, no need saying we want to save our time.

Look, to each their own I guess. If it were not for the non DIY people, then dealerships would have no service bays and Jiffy Lube couldn't screw anyone over with their junky oil changes.
Old 08-24-09, 05:15 AM
Tee

Again my dealer is very close to my job (post #35) so it is not a big deal for me, in the end it comes out to each his own. I can say we all have our own view toward the topic and I ain't mad at no one for it, we agree to disagree.
Old 08-27-09, 06:51 PM
SILVA1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i only pay about 55 at my dealer and im right outside of Philly
Which dealership is that, I need to start using them?
Old 08-27-09, 07:43 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SILVA1
Which dealership is that, I need to start using them?
Yea...me too!

btw---where in DE are you silva?

Quick Reply: how much do you pay for oil change ?!!!