LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Pros and cons of buying a 2004 LS430 in 2009?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-09, 05:50 PM
bensisco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Pros and cons of buying a 2004 LS430 in 2009?

Greetings everyone. I need some advice. I’m trying to decide if I should buy a 2004 LS430 with the modern luxury package (Navigation, 18 inch tires), 61K miles and in excellent condition for $22K. I currently own a 1997 LS 400. My LS 400 has 131K miles and has a leaking oil pan gasket ($182 to repair). Otherwise, it’s been pretty much trouble free all these years. A couple of years ago I did have a corroded negative battery cable ($8 fix) and on really cold days the outside temperature display sometimes reads -22. But overall, the most dependable and best running car I’ve ever owned.

So, what’s the problem? Well, I was hoping to buy something newer than a 2004 model car. I’ve decided to spend no more than $26K cash (withdrawing it from savings, I have no interest in financing or leasing). I’ve test driven a 2006 Avalon, a 2007 Altima, a 2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ, and even a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and didn’t really care for any of them. I’ve also test driven a 2005 LS430 (the 2004 model is in another city).

Obviously, the LS430 was my favorite of the ones I've looked at and the closest to what I’m used to, although I’m not 100% sold on the shape of the exterior and it’s not satellite radio ready. The 2005 and 2006 LS430s come with too much of an insurance increase for me, which is why I’m only looking at the 2004 model. I’ve also thought about test driving a 2006/2007 Infiniti M45 or 35, an ES 350, a 2006 GS300, or maybe a nicely loaded SUV. The BMWs and Mercedes are nice looking, but I’m worried about their cost of routine maintenance and service. At this point, I feel I’m wasting too much time researching vehicles. I know there are a lot of LS430 owners here and would like to know your opinions on buying a 2004 LS430 in late 2009. Also, I would gladly entertain suggestions on any reasonably priced alternatives in my $26K cash price range. Thanks for reading my post and all suggestions are appreciated (I will read all of what you write).
Old 08-04-09, 06:11 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All pros, only con is check that the VIN is not affected by the two recalls for the vehicle, one involving the transmission.

Honestly, everything you mentioned are hohum to me. Altima, Avalon, (Malibu and Pontiac you're kidding right???) and Infiniti.... Nothing compares to a LS in luxury and since you're a current LS owner, you know this already.

The big pro... how low can you go in price. The 2004 is the cheapest of the "newer" LS430 and '05 and '06 are pretty much just color additions, no extra goodies.
Old 08-04-09, 06:15 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I have an 04 LS43 UL with 50,000 miles and it's like a new car to me. I wouldn't be about to trade it for a new 2010 model of any of the cars you are considering. Just my opinion.
Old 08-04-09, 07:29 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you want a big car ride (and space), you can't beat a LS430.
However if I were in the market now, I may lean towards a smaller Acura RL with lower miles and bit more tech. They are great value for the money IMO.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-OWN...=p4506.c0.m245
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...=p4506.c0.m245
also like the 06 GS, but bit pricier.
Old 08-05-09, 04:48 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple other cars I'm considering are certified pre-owned Buick Lucerne CXS or Cadillac DTS Performance (or lux III if you want the floaty ride). If you want something a bit smaller, I have an 07 Lincoln MKZ on lease which has been problem free. All these options should be reliable (though the Lucerne / DTS platform tends to have rattles and / or shakes so a thorough test drive is needed) and the Lincoln and Cadillac CPO programs provide bumper-to-bumper coverage for 6 yr (from new) and 100K total miles.

While I'm considering those other cars, I'm favoring the LS430. In addition to the better comfort and driving characteristics of the LS, the slower depreciation is likely to make the 3 yr. cost of ownership of the LS lower than the DTS. Also, driving a LS a second 100k miles without a warranty is, IMO, less financially risky than a Caddy.
Old 08-05-09, 05:53 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bensisco
Greetings everyone. I need some advice. I’m trying to decide if I should buy a 2004 LS430 with the modern luxury package (Navigation, 18 inch tires), 61K miles and in excellent condition for $22K. I currently own a 1997 LS 400. My LS 400 has 131K miles and has a leaking oil pan gasket ($182 to repair). Otherwise, it’s been pretty much trouble free all these years. A couple of years ago I did have a corroded negative battery cable ($8 fix) and on really cold days the outside temperature display sometimes reads -22. But overall, the most dependable and best running car I’ve ever owned.

So, what’s the problem? Well, I was hoping to buy something newer than a 2004 model car. I’ve decided to spend no more than $26K cash (withdrawing it from savings, I have no interest in financing or leasing). I’ve test driven a 2006 Avalon, a 2007 Altima, a 2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ, and even a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and didn’t really care for any of them. I’ve also test driven a 2005 LS430 (the 2004 model is in another city).

Obviously, the LS430 was my favorite of the ones I've looked at and the closest to what I’m used to, although I’m not 100% sold on the shape of the exterior and it’s not satellite radio ready. The 2005 and 2006 LS430s come with too much of an insurance increase for me, which is why I’m only looking at the 2004 model. I’ve also thought about test driving a 2006/2007 Infiniti M45 or 35, an ES 350, a 2006 GS300, or maybe a nicely loaded SUV. The BMWs and Mercedes are nice looking, but I’m worried about their cost of routine maintenance and service. At this point, I feel I’m wasting too much time researching vehicles. I know there are a lot of LS430 owners here and would like to know your opinions on buying a 2004 LS430 in late 2009. Also, I would gladly entertain suggestions on any reasonably priced alternatives in my $26K cash price range. Thanks for reading my post and all suggestions are appreciated (I will read all of what you write).
I wouldn't hesitate at all to get the '04. I've driven all of the cars you mentinoed and I can't imagine a reason to buy any of those over a nice '04 LS, and I suspect that you'd soon feel that you had "traded down" from your '97 LS, much less an '04.

Of course we all have our own subjective preferences, when I sold my '03 LS I drove pretty much every mainstream luxury car that I thought I might possibly be interested in, including S550 and "lesser" MB's, A8, 750i and 550i, LS460 and "lesser" Lexus, etc., and all things considered, the LS430 was clearly my preference. The S550 Sport is the only one that I actually might prefer if the price were about 15-20K closer to the LS. I'd have the reliability worries, but I might be willing to give it a try if the price premium was more in line with what I perceive to be the actual differences between the cars.

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-05-09 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 06:40 AM
bensisco
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses. I’m finding them very helpful. I know I have to make a decision on the 04 LS430 before someone else gets it. Though the exterior has a somewhat dated look, the car is loaded with contemporary features and has a great reputation for reliability. I just wish the rear of the LS430 was a little sportier or had a little more character (the front is nice). The one I’m considering getting is cypress green with a tan interior.

The temptation of course is to get a fully loaded, newer and lower mileage car for about the same money. It is hard to move on from driving an LS. I was disappointed with the aforementioned cars I test drove this summer, partly because I’ve gotten used to driving a rear wheel drive car. Also, it’s amazing how an old Lexus still has features that some new cars don’t have (like dual front power seats and rear AC vents). Those of you with Mercedes or BMWs, are the maintenance costs exorbitant? And those of you with ES350s or 06 GS 300s, have you noticed a big difference as compared to the LS430?
Old 08-05-09, 07:04 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Though the exterior has a somewhat dated look
I LOVE the fact that the LS430 doesn't look like an over-grown ES350 the way the LS460 does. I do NOT like the way car manufacturers have moved to S, M, L, XL versions of the same car, looks wise.

The temptation of course is to get a fully loaded, newer and lower mileage car for about the same money.
IMO, the thing that people too often omit when making this statement or thinking in these terms is that they will be getting a car that FEELS significantly downmarket in terms of quality and finish materials. There is a LOT more to a car than the list of options on paper. If not, you might as well just buy a loaded Honda Accord or one of the domestic sedans and be done. There's the fundamental nature, structure and build quality of the car, and Lexus does a GREAT job in building in additional quality and differentiation as you move up the line. Even a current generation GS feels somewhat downmarket compared to an LS430. I've driven them back-to-back more than once and this is clearly the impression that I get within 30 seconds of hitting the road in a GS. Most of the cars you mentioned won't be in the class with an LS430 even after 3 or 4 more generations, much less currently.

And those of you with ES350s or 06 GS 300s, have you noticed a big difference as compared to the LS430?
I don't own either, but in addition to my comments on the GS above, within the past couple months I've have had two near-new, <3K mile ES350 loaner cars from my local Lexus dealer (I believe one was an '09, the other a '10). They are not in the league with an LS430. They are certainly decent transportation, but there is absolutely no mistaking -- not even for a brief period -- which car is fundamentally higher quality and more refined.

You've perhaps already seen this, and not that magazine comparison tests are the last word in anything, but interesting reading nonetheless...
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-05-09 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-05-09, 07:43 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the new ES350 as a loaner twice, nice but lets say I could not wait to get my LS430 back twice.
Old 08-05-09, 11:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Those of you with Mercedes or BMWs, are the maintenance costs exorbitant?
Out of warranty, then of course... big time.

I'd get an 04 LS over a newer benz or bmw (if reliability, comfort, soft ride are your priorities)
Old 08-05-09, 05:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, you seriously are comparing the LS430 to Chevy Malibu LTZ and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP?

And satellite radio is a deciding factor on a car for you?

And seems like your car choices are all over the place, you are considering everything short of a Hummer H1.

We all drive LS430 here, obviously we all love it.

Every car have pros and cons, but seems like you have no idea what you want, I don't think anyone can help you decide.
Old 08-05-09, 05:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I LOVE the fact that the LS430 doesn't look like an over-grown ES350 the way the LS460 does. I do NOT like the way car manufacturers have moved to S, M, L, XL versions of the same car, looks wise.
Yeah a few years ago before the current generation S-class came out, the C, E and S class looks absolutely identical, only differ in size. I found it hilurious. If I am a car salesman, I would just ask the customer "what size do you want, they are all the same!"

Originally Posted by I6turbo
IMO, the thing that people too often omit when making this statement or thinking in these terms is that they will be getting a car that FEELS significantly downmarket in terms of quality and finish materials. There is a LOT more to a car than the list of options on paper. If not, you might as well just buy a loaded Honda Accord or one of the domestic sedans and be done. There's the fundamental nature, structure and build quality of the car, and Lexus does a GREAT job in building in additional quality and differentiation as you move up the line. Even a current generation GS feels somewhat downmarket compared to an LS430. I've driven them back-to-back more than once and this is clearly the impression that I get within 30 seconds of hitting the road in a GS. Most of the cars you mentioned won't be in the class with an LS430 even after 3 or 4 more generations, much less currently.
Well said. If maintenance and repair is not a factor, for the same money, I rather have a 1989 Bentley Turbo R then a 2009 Honda Accord.
Old 08-05-09, 09:36 PM
bensisco
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by BNR34
Wow, you seriously are comparing the LS430 to Chevy Malibu LTZ and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP?

And seems like your car choices are all over the place, you are considering everything short of a Hummer H1.

Every car have pros and cons, but seems like you have no idea what you want, I don't think anyone can help you decide.
Well thanks BNR34 for your response. Lol. Actually, I considered the other vehicles for a number of reasons. The Grand Prix was once a car that I really liked with its heads up display and 303hp V8 that runs similar to the Chrysler Hemi (i.e., sometimes on 4 cylinders to save gas). The 2009 Chevy Malibu with a 252 hp V6 and newly restyled exterior was also worth a look. But as I mentioned, when I test drove these vehicles I realized they weren’t going to satisfy me even as much as my old LS400. And while the LS430 is a nice car, it is still an older model car with its own pros and cons. For example, from the back and the sides the LS430 and Hyundai Sonata unfortunately look a lot alike. As for the satellite radio, it is a bit of trouble to order the satellite tuner and have it installed in an old LS430 as opposed to buying a car that’s satellite ready. But as I've mentioned already, the comments here as well as the pictures in the other threads have been very helpful. I like the Lexus LS line for its quality, reliability, great interior and long list of features.

Old 08-06-09, 05:59 AM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 430ls is a no brainer, even a 2004. just check on the 2 recalls. they are big ones. i recently purchased a 2002 430ls with 48k miles and couldn't be happier. like a new car!
Old 08-06-09, 08:09 AM
bensisco
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by BNR34

Well thanks BNR34 for your response. Lol. Actually, I considered the other vehicles for a number of reasons. The Grand Prix was once a car that I really liked with its heads up display and 303hp V8 that runs similar to the Chrysler Hemi (i.e., sometimes on 4 cylinders to save gas). The 2009 Chevy Malibu with a 252 hp V6 and newly restyled exterior was also worth a look. But as I mentioned, when I test drove these vehicles I realized they weren’t going to satisfy me even as much as my old LS400.

In my opinion, while the LS430 is a nice car it is still an older model car with its own pros and cons. For example, from the back and the sides I think the LS430 and Hyundai Sonata unfortunately look a lot alike (a look that is stuck in my head). I tried to post a picture of the two vehicles last night, but the post was flagged for approval and never showed up. As for the satellite radio, it is a bit of trouble to order the satellite tuner and have it installed in an old LS430 as opposed to buying a car that’s satellite ready. But as I've mentioned already, the comments here as well as the pictures in the other threads have been very helpful. I do like the Lexus LS line for its quality, reliability, great interior and long list of features but I'm considering other vehicles before making the leap.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of buying a 2004 LS430 in 2009?