Old 07-05-09, 07:52 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Center brake light

2004 LS430 with ML/Nav

Q1 Center brake light not illuminating when brakes applied
No bulb failure indicator on dash
Is the bulb failure feature only on Ultra?

Q2 New tires installed.
Low pressure indicator warning.
Followed instructions to reset. Pushed button under dash with key on for 3 seconds. Never received the "initialization", but pressure warning light did extinguish.

Any comments on either issue?
Old 07-06-09, 04:30 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm curious to know too...I recently did a center light change to LED and I did not get the light out indicator either. I just thought it was the LED had build in resistors, but now that you mention this, maybe by some crazy chance, Lexus did not put the circuit to monitor the center stop light. That would be crazy/cheap of them, but possibly.

Can anyone confirmed they've had the center light out and triggered the warning? I guess I could always remove the light and test that way to see if I get anything.

Ahhh... who knows.
Old 07-06-09, 05:47 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't comment on this paticular issue, but I always wanted to change out the whole housing for the third brake light. i felt it was a little narrow for the car. That it should be wider than it is, and I thought about buying a junker from a car with similar interior and installing it in it's place.
Old 07-08-09, 09:59 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I recently did a center light change to LED and I did not get the light out indicator either. I just thought it was the LED had build in resistors, but now that you mention this, maybe by some crazy chance, Lexus did not put the circuit to monitor the center stop light. That would be crazy/cheap of them, but possibly.
I replaced the center brake light (with help from Alexus & Beyonce, and doing karate chops TO THE LEFT TO THE LEFT)..lol...with a LED that stated it was BRIGHTER than the original bulb. I will admit, with the LED OUT of the center brake light housing, it was blinding, and caused me to see black spots for about 30 seconds after viewing the LED. I am disappointed to admit though, once the LED/bulb assembly was installed in the center brake light assembly, I could NOT tell any difference (obviously-when viewing from the back of the LS). I barely even noticed it to be any quicker to turn ON too.

Back to the original post..during this process, I too, never received any light out/bulb burned out indication. I highly doubt my LED had any load resistors, because the website advised their products DIDN'T HAVE THEM, and could cause blinker problems and bulb out indications.

I'm betting the center brake light/bulb is not supervised (at least on 04-06 LS's)
Old 07-09-09, 05:12 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

there is NO warning light for the center brake light. or at least not on mines. i drove around for a week with the stock bulb burned out and i didn't know until someone was following behind me and told me so. so i replaced with one of those fancy led ones everyone else was talking about in a previous thread...
Old 07-09-09, 05:45 AM
AlexusAnja

Wow, that's a real stinker to think that the '99RX monitors the center light, but a '04-'06 LS does not. I figure the '01-'06 probably doesn't. Can't imagine the '01-'03 having it but the later ones not. The center light I think is more critical than the sides (unless both sides are out) since it's dedicated specifically for brake applied.

And all this time I thought the LED I got was fancy with internal load resisters...
Old 07-09-09, 06:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

not sure about the ls but my old gs had warning lights on the dash for the side brake light bulbs. i don't think cops even care so much about the 3rd brake light. but they do care about one of the tail lights or side brake lights being out.
Old 07-09-09, 07:39 PM
Ears
Rookie

Interesting...

Consensus is the (04 at least) ls430 does not monitor the center brake light. I find that poor, especially since my '88 560SL does...

Chock one more up for German Technocracy.

Thanks to all who answered...
Old 07-09-09, 09:41 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Ok. Quick trivia related to the thread...

WITHOUT using google, or better yet bing.com, does anyone know what year the center brake light became mandatory on all US sold vehicles? I do. Hint..it's between 1960 and today. lol
Old 07-10-09, 04:37 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

wow, thats a good one ^ ^ ^. i would like to preface my response with if you somehow switched to bing from google then "you may be a mac user" (ironic don't you think). next time you go to bing something, bing it with google

no idea without cheating but i would guess the late 70's to early 80's.
Old 07-10-09, 04:53 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Guessing

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Ok. Quick trivia related to the thread...

WITHOUT using google, or better yet bing.com, does anyone know what year the center brake light became mandatory on all US sold vehicles? I do. Hint..it's between 1960 and today. lol
I'm taking a guess here based on taking auto class in the '80's but I would say it didn't become law until the '80's, '86 perhaps because our '84 Plymouth Voyager didn't have the middle light, but I think the '90 Voyager did. Ha ha, nice trick hint too. Even if they had back in the 60's, it wasn't law, just particular manufacturers applying the 3rd light to their design.

So, what is answer?
Old 07-10-09, 04:30 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by sojah
wow, thats a good one ^ ^ ^. i would like to preface my response with if you somehow switched to bing from google then "you may be a mac user" (ironic don't you think). next time you go to bing something, bing it with google

no idea without cheating but i would guess the late 70's to early 80's.
Ha ha. Nope to both of your answers. I have no desire to use anything Mac or Apple...(and now watch me get attacked..lol)

btw...bing.com is the revised MICROSOFT search!

I want an EXACT year!..."sometime in the 20th century" won't suffice!
Old 07-10-09, 04:32 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default correct! 1986

Originally Posted by alexusanja
i'm taking a guess here...until the '80's, '86 perhaps because our '84 plymouth voyager didn't have the middle light...
correct!!! 1986
Old 07-10-09, 06:45 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Ha ha. Nope to both of your answers. I have no desire to use anything Mac or Apple...(and now watch me get attacked..lol)

btw...bing.com is the revised MICROSOFT search!
wow, are you serious... bing is from microsoft.. now i know why it sucks so bad, no wait i meant blows, no wait i meant both (thats why it was ironic, ¿micro >=< mac?). no but seriously though i was referencing the 'its pretty and shiny so therefore it has to be better' theory or business practice that mac has been using for the last decade to market their products and how now its ironic that m$ seems to be employing some of these same tactics which seem to be tricking/ luring some (a small mac user market share if you will) away from google.

what happened to the witty ls430inDE guy who made his appearance a couple months back..?

i do like the trivia though, keep you sharp on your car knowledge. keep em coming. what about seat belts, thats another tough one, not even sure about that one myself?

Last edited by sojah; 07-10-09 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 07:06 PM
AlexusAnja

Default 1986 Mets

correct!!! 1986
I only guess 1986 because of my NY METS WORLD SERIES WIN !!! Unfortunately it's looking like another year of waiting...

Quick Reply: Center brake light