LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing Belt & Waterpump Costs

Old 07-02-09, 05:53 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt & Waterpump Costs

Because of this forum, I was not surprised by the quotes I received for replacing the water pump, timing belt and tensioners and cam shaft seals and crankshaft seal. Also, included in this job is replacement of the spark plugs. List price for the parts including 9.25% sales tax is about $700, using OEM parts. The high bid Lexus dealer wants $500. over MSRP for the parts. That dealer called his parts department and threw me the total parts "package cost" He said these jobs usually run about $3-4K.

Labor ranges from $1000 to $2000, with rates from $70/hr to $143. The Lexus dealer I am selecting wants $1700, the same as a Toyota dealer. A small independent shop can do the job for less than $1000. using after market parts he would acquire. Like all shops, he needs his mark up on the parts.

I was hoping I could get the job done for about $1000. including parts at a Toyota dealer, but I guess not in the Los Angeles area. Not much savings using after market parts or with discounts from Carson or Sewell Lexus on-line, the parts are just very expensive. And it would be very difficult to find a shop that would use my parts and I am no longer young enough to do this kind of work.

Alldata standard labor hours is 7.6 and the dealers estimate from 9.0 to 14.0 man hours.

The car is a 2001 LS430 with 90K miles. All fluids have already been replaced and the above costs include 2 gals of coolant, that's fine as I have 30K miles on the last coolant flush.

Thus, I guess I will pay the $700. more than the small shop wants for the peace of mind offered by going to a Lexus dealer. Free small Lexus rental car is convenient too as that dealer is 15 miles away. If this works out o.k. in a couple of years this dealer can do my SC430. The high priced Lexus dealer is about 10 minutes from where I live, I'll save him for a tow-in job to do work covered by my after market warranty, if I ever need it. (Maybe the warranty company will fight them over their prices!! but probably make me tow the car to a less expensive dealer)
Old 07-03-09, 07:44 AM
jetlee2k
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issues as you mention.. Lexus LS430, Mystic Sea Green, 100K miles. I am planning to do a 100K tune up for my LS430. I checked difference dealers and shop and no way I'll bring it to my dealer.. They want almost 2K for it.. I ordered a FULL OEM Time Belt Pro kit from Ebay shop, 8 brand new spark plugs, Oxygen Sensor, put in a new Weapon R secret intake, oil change.. and etc.. total cost for me less than $1000 (include labor). I have no done anything on the car yet b/c my local shop is not ready after July 4th.. I'll keep you update it..
Old 07-03-09, 08:20 AM
hrp
Rookie

Ditto the above. My 2002 LS340 will be getting that 90k servicing this month. Since the warranty runs out the first of Sept, will ask (and hope) that they spend extra time looking for what else needs doing under the warranty. Our local Lexus dealer charges $1700, the Toyota dealer $1000. Interestingly, Edmunds.com puts that cost at $524.03. But does not include a new water pump or Oxygen sensor. Other than these exhorbitant charges, I've been very happy with the car (purchased new) and plan to keep it until it becomes unreliable. An an "amateur" detailer, my efforts have kept the car looking and runing like new.

Link:http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/d...9000&zip=27410

Since I don't wish to antagonize the dealer/service dept on the eve of my going out of warranty, I'll bite the bullet and pay "tribute" this time, but will probably switch to an independent shop or Toyota dealer for future "big" services. Lexus needs to consider competitive maintainence costs for their older cars, especially in today's economy. I certainly cannot replace my LS430 with an equivalent ride for Edmunds TMV, but paying 10% of that TMV for a 90k servicing is a bit steep.

HRP
Old 07-03-09, 09:11 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Originally Posted by jetlee2k
I ordered a FULL OEM Time Belt Pro kit from Ebay shop, 8 brand new spark plugs, Oxygen Sensor, put in a new Weapon R secret intake, oil change.. and etc.. total cost for me less than $1000 (include labor). I have no done anything on the car yet b/c my local shop is not ready after July 4th.. I'll keep you update it..

Thanks for the Ebay tip, I didn't know they were selling "timing belt kits" and now I have a nice parts list with part numbers; I wonder if they are OEM numbers. The fine print though, says OEM like, not original OEM. This was not the seller you mentioned as the kit did not include spark plugs.

My prices from a Lexus parts dept did not include the timing belt tensioner, only the idler bearings. They did not seem willing to give me the part numbers, which is not uncommon as dealers don't like people shopping around for parts prices.

Also, they did not mention the thermostat and gasket. I guess I will take this list back to the parts dept and get more prices. I guess the service dept would be just telling me to go to the cashier and I would find more charges for parts than the $678. quoted, making the $1700. price go up. Pay or you can't take your car home. Would be nice if the estimate form required by law in California would include a detailed scope of work including parts needed. It just has a single dollar cost and then they call you and ask for more money when the car is already taken apart.

The only thing we can do as consumers, is find a shop you can trust and give them all of your business. Unless one has a personal recommendation, the first shop experience might not be pleasant. I have lots of experience with Cadillac and Jaguar dealers, all of which caused me to pay a lot of money and was very stressful. This will be my first experience with Japanese cars. I am willing to give this Lexus dealer a try and if the experience is not good, they will never see me again. Also, I will probably never buy a Jaguar or Cadillac car again. I have had Fords and Jeeps, but did the work myself as they were old technology.

How did you find a shop that would install your parts? How much will they be charging you for the labor?

Old 07-03-09, 11:48 PM
jetlee2k
Driver School Candidate

The local shop is a friend of mine. He has been taking care our family cars for years now.. Very trust worthy and did a great job for our cars the past 10 years. You need to buy a Timing Belt Pro Kit ($330) or something.. then 8 DENSO spark plugs ($72)usd, O2 sensor is another $80, I did buy the Weapon R secret intake $220 .. mine all together with labor will cost less than $1000 usd include oil change and etc.. so you got to find a trusted local mechanic who's willing to do it.. !!
Old 07-06-09, 02:51 PM
Barry Gold
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rcpeters

Because of this forum, I was not surprised by the quotes I received for replacing the water pump, timing belt and tensioners and cam shaft seals and crankshaft seal. Also, included in this job is replacement of the spark plugs. List price for the parts including 9.25% sales tax is about $700, using OEM parts. The high bid Lexus dealer wants $500. over MSRP for the parts. That dealer called his parts department and threw me the total parts "package cost" He said these jobs usually run about $3-4K.

Labor ranges from $1000 to $2000, with rates from $70/hr to $143. The Lexus dealer I am selecting wants $1700, the same as a Toyota dealer. A small independent shop can do the job for less than $1000. using after market parts he would acquire. Like all shops, he needs his mark up on the parts.

I was hoping I could get the job done for about $1000. including parts at a Toyota dealer, but I guess not in the Los Angeles area. Not much savings using after market parts or with discounts from Carson or Sewell Lexus on-line, the parts are just very expensive. And it would be very difficult to find a shop that would use my parts and I am no longer young enough to do this kind of work.

Alldata standard labor hours is 7.6 and the dealers estimate from 9.0 to 14.0 man hours.

The car is a 2001 LS430 with 90K miles. All fluids have already been replaced and the above costs include 2 gals of coolant, that's fine as I have 30K miles on the last coolant flush.

Thus, I guess I will pay the $700. more than the small shop wants for the peace of mind offered by going to a Lexus dealer. Free small Lexus rental car is convenient too as that dealer is 15 miles away. If this works out o.k. in a couple of years this dealer can do my SC430. The high priced Lexus dealer is about 10 minutes from where I live, I'll save him for a tow-in job to do work covered by my after market warranty, if I ever need it. (Maybe the warranty company will fight them over their prices!! but probably make me tow the car to a less expensive dealer)
I just brought my 2003 LS430 to the Toyota dealer today to have the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, idler pulley and belt tensioner replaced. The car has close to 90k miles. I found a Lexus dealer on line (Carson lexus??) who would give me a discount on the parts so I brought that e-mail to my local lexus dealer and he matched the prices. The Toyota dealer is charging me about $450 labor and will install the lexus parts I gave him.
Barry
Old 07-06-09, 02:58 PM
Barry Gold
Driver School Candidate

Default Timing belt and water pump replacement costs

I just brought my 2003 LS430 to the Toyota dealer today to have the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, idler pulley and belt tensioner replaced. The car has close to 90k miles. I found a Lexus dealer on line (Carson lexus??) who would give me a discount on the parts so I brought that e-mail to my local lexus dealer and he matched the prices. The Toyota dealer is charging me about $450 labor and will install the lexus parts I gave him.
Barry

ps... Forgive me if I posted this reply earlier but not in the correct area. I am a beginner at forum posting and responses.
Old 08-28-14, 05:21 AM
Erkyjerk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jetlee2k
I have the same issues as you mention.. Lexus LS430, Mystic Sea Green, 100K miles. I am planning to do a 100K tune up for my LS430. I checked difference dealers and shop and no way I'll bring it to my dealer.. They want almost 2K for it.. I ordered a FULL OEM Time Belt Pro kit from Ebay shop, 8 brand new spark plugs, Oxygen Sensor, put in a new Weapon R secret intake, oil change.. and etc.. total cost for me less than $1000 (include labor). I have no done anything on the car yet b/c my local shop is not ready after July 4th.. I'll keep you update it..

What website did you order it from?
Old 08-28-14, 06:11 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Resurrecting a really old post here... but...
He said Ebay in the text... quick search on ebay for timing belt kits LS430 gives a host of possible sellers...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus...6c889d&vxp=mtr

Like the one above... for about $300, all claim to be OEM Lexus/Toyota parts.
Old 09-01-14, 08:02 AM
madoc1
Driver School Candidate

thx. for the update. where in tx.? i'm in spicewood, outside of Austin. now I need to find a reasonable mech. 2001 ls430.

jim
Old 09-01-14, 03:22 PM
VIPTONY
Pole Position

I have 90k parts for a ls430. I was going to use it for my LS but I ended up selling the car so I have the parts just sitting in my shed. PM me if your interested. It's all OEM parts.