LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Blacked Out Headlights....

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-09, 02:56 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blacked Out Headlights....

I'm still not done with all the planned mods yet but I thought that since it's been awhile since I've posted any recent pics... what the heck. I've blacked out the headlights and the tail lamps and installed the LSPortline Springs. Let me know what you think... as usual negative and positive comments are welcome. The top pic is without the springs and without the blacked out headlights so you can get a before and after idea.Ultimately, this LS is going to be "Stealthy Black" when it's done.

Old 05-18-09, 04:03 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, but how much illumination do you lose at night?
Old 05-18-09, 04:08 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks ok, but my personal opinion would be to vinyl or paint all the chrome trim pieces around the bumpers and the windows, and leave the lights untouched, it will give a much cleaner look, not to mention classier.
Old 05-18-09, 08:38 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I like the headlights, but I would leave the taillights along.
Old 05-18-09, 09:28 PM
optionii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, headlight looks good, the taillight is a bit too dark for me
Old 05-18-09, 09:55 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yup...I agree...I like headlights, but not really the tails for me...IMO
Old 05-19-09, 04:20 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Headlights look great, I would go a lighter percentage on the tails.
Old 05-19-09, 06:26 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

^^ said it!!!

also needs more drop !!!

and maybe a roof spoiler...
Old 05-19-09, 08:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly?

I think the wheels make the car look cheap, and the V8 badge makes it look like a wannabe M.B.

It reminds me of a police Crown Vic

Sorry... not trying to bag on the car. It just seems like it is having an identity crisis right now...

On the plus side, the calipers look good (would look sick with a deep dish wheel), the headlights look real good too... But it is your car man. You do what you like. I am sure some people hate my cars too... But that's why it's mine and not theirs

Jonny

Last edited by Dx3; 05-19-09 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-19-09, 09:18 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have always thought your car was definitely unique. i lived in japan for a couple years and i never saw one that took on this unique path before, nicely done, but i liked it more before the blacked out tails and headlights. i say put it back to prior to black out of head & tail lights and if you wanna change something put some led turn signal mirrors on it. get an all black grill and if you really want something there put on a little hood ornament, either a stick up one to be fancy or a flat coin shaped one to be subtle.

i can trace my old gs400's mistaken path identity back to the blacking out of my tails, it later become some weird modded car that didn't suit me and i ended up selling it all because i got a little mod bored and blacked out the tails one day.
Old 05-19-09, 11:42 AM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Default Ouch...

Some pretty harsh, albeit honest replies. To clarify a few things... the headlights were totally disassembled and the interiors were painted black. The lens is still clear so I don't lose any illumination at all. I'll post a better pic of that later, maybe this evening. The drop will stay as it because I drive way too much. I use this car everyday. I travel about 1800 miles each month just for work so any lower and it becomes tough to negotiate many of the roads. The taillights.... I totally agree. I had originally just wanted them lightly smoked. I had discussed this with a friend of mine and when he had the car one day for detailing he "surprised" me with the blacked out lamps. He actually took some black paint and added to some clear and painted them. The work looks great but I didn't like it because it was way too dark for me (but I think it does look sweet at night) and I didn't know how to say that without being unappreciative to my buddy. Maybe some of you can appreciate where I am coming from. The wheels "look cheap"? I don't know what to say about that one... these are LSportline Wheels that have been de-chromed and then the lips polished and the centers powder coated black. I've spent almost $5000 on the wheels and they were used! In any case, thanks for all the honest opinions. I do appreciate them all.
Old 05-19-09, 12:57 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

The wheels are fine, I almost bought a set too.
Your friend painited the taillights? not tint? Wow, you can't reverse that anymore.
Old 05-19-09, 01:11 PM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by optionii
yeah, headlight looks good, the taillight is a bit too dark for me
I agree with this one. headlight looks But I would choose lighter tint/color on the tail or just go without it.
I am in process of getting my headlight blacked out, as well... we'll see how it look.

Last edited by JP2SEA; 05-19-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-19-09, 02:20 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Your friend painited the taillights? not tint? Wow, you can't reverse that anymore.
you actually can.. my friends 350z he painted the tails but then changed his mind and got it off with some kind of spray and elbow grease

and yeah i agree the wheels like DOPE...
Old 05-19-09, 02:20 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Actually you can reverse it pretty easily... it's just time consuming. You have to remove the tail lights then strip off the paint with a paint thinner. It will dull the acrylic but you can always re-polish the lenses. It would take several hours and I haven't had several hours to spend on it yet so I've just been dealing with it. I like the painted idea better than the film because it doesn't peel but this came out much darker than I would have preferred.

Quick Reply: Blacked Out Headlights....