LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Blacked Out Headlights....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 02:24 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH347
you actually can.. my friends 350z he painted the tails but then changed his mind and got it off with some kind of spray and elbow grease

and yeah i agree the wheels like DOPE...
Shlomboy!!! What the hell!!?? I thought you were having to give up the LS. What's with the name change too?? In any case, thanks for the props. I also just noted that you can remove the paint but it takes FOREVER! No time for now... but soon.
Old 05-19-09, 03:07 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about the all black grill idea, ehh, ehh?
Old 05-19-09, 04:31 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the grille and headlights...

will you post up how you did the headlight mod?

I was thinking of doing this to mine....except black chrome the chrome you know.
Old 05-20-09, 12:15 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_LS_430R
I'm still not done with all the planned mods yet but I thought that since it's been awhile since I've posted any recent pics... what the heck. I've blacked out the headlights and the tail lamps and installed the LSPortline Springs. Let me know what you think... as usual negative and positive comments are welcome. The top pic is without the springs and without the blacked out headlights so you can get a before and after idea.Ultimately, this LS is going to be "Stealthy Black" when it's done.

Are those painted L-Sportline wheels?
Old 05-20-09, 07:08 AM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
what about the all black grill idea, ehh, ehh?
I already have an all black grille, but I left the "L" in Chrome to match all the other chrome on the car... I am still trying to decide if I want to go with black chrome or a satin finish on the chrome pieces. I'm pretty torn between the two choices.

Originally Posted by GATO
I like the grille and headlights...

will you post up how you did the headlight mod?

I was thinking of doing this to mine....except black chrome the chrome you know.
That mod wasn't easy... but wasn't really all that difficult either. It just takes patience and lots of time. Obviously you have to remove the headlights completely and disassemble them until you only have the housing left. Then we stuck them in the oven at about 200 degrees and watched them closely.. (an electric oven is best because the heat is dry compared to a gas oven) it took about 15 - 18 minutes to soften the glue that holds the pieces together. Using medium size suction cups on the lenses we slowly pulled the lens off the lamp housing and that exposed all the chrome inside the lens. (Keep in mind that you have already removed the headlights and taken off all of the electrical components from the housing) At that point we used fine grade steel wool to scuff the plastic chrome because it's more flexible than sandpaper and then it was sprayed with black paint and clear coated. (Just like you would paint a car.) Next we re-assembled the headlight housing assembly using a heat gun set on low to make the glue pliable again and then allowed to cool back down for several hours so that you don't get any condensation in the lens when you put them back on.

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Are those painted L-Sportline wheels?
Yes, they are LSportline Wheels, but they have been completely de-chromed and refinished. I had the centers powdercoated black and the lips polished. All the rivets that were missing or worn were also replaced, and all the flaws were corrected. They are about 99.9% perfect now. I did that because I've not seen anyone else do that.
Old 05-20-09, 08:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

do you have an example (pics) of the difference between the black chrome and the satin? i realize your grill is mostly black already, i guess i was referring to one without the L in the center but now that i think about it it would prolly look just as sweet if not sweeter with the L there just blacked out as well. i hear you about matching the rest of the chrome but you don't have much left to match now. i've seen a few nice ls430 vip show cars in vip mags recently that have the side led mirror but blacked out or an in between your headlight and taillight blacked out color, looks pretty sick in my opinion. you gonna do the fod housings to match??
Old 05-20-09, 01:54 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
do you have an example (pics) of the difference between the black chrome and the satin? i realize your grill is mostly black already, i guess i was referring to one without the L in the center but now that i think about it it would prolly look just as sweet if not sweeter with the L there just blacked out as well. i hear you about matching the rest of the chrome but you don't have much left to match now. i've seen a few nice ls430 vip show cars in vip mags recently that have the side led mirror but blacked out or an in between your headlight and taillight blacked out color, looks pretty sick in my opinion. you gonna do the fod housings to match??
The black chrome looks just like this picture... it's basically a black mirrorlike finish.. The satin finish is like a brushed aluminum color, it just takes away the shiny finish but its still silver. The headlights still have clear lenses I just blacked out the chrome on the inside of the headlamp housings, the entire headlight themselves aren't black at all. I probably wont do the fog lights because there's not much chrome inside and the lenses arent' clear on the fog lamps.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked Out Headlights....-black-chrome-lexus.jpg  
Old 05-20-09, 03:11 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

hmmm... i definitely vote for black emblems then. also have you ever seen the half blacked out led mirrors on a black ls before?
Old 05-20-09, 05:23 PM
bad newz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it cool but i think u should have got is or sc if u wanted a race car look that big body right there u drive that slow let everybody get a peak u have top of line
Old 05-20-09, 06:24 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

?????????????????!
Old 05-20-09, 06:25 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Originally Posted by 04_LS_430R
Shlomboy!!! What the hell!!?? I thought you were having to give up the LS. What's with the name change too?? In any case, thanks for the props. I also just noted that you can remove the paint but it takes FOREVER! No time for now... but soon.
naa pops let me keep it... and as for the name change.. well im not a boy IM A MAN!!!
Old 05-20-09, 07:15 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SH347
naa pops let me keep it... and as for the name change.. well im not a boy IM A MAN!!!

Can't argue with that Shlommy, when manhood is thrust upon you... you must answer the call! Glad to see that you got to keep your LS. What happened to baby bro? Did he get a nice ride too afterall or is he slummin' it?
Old 05-20-09, 07:17 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
?????????????????!
Word
Old 05-20-09, 07:27 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Default Close up of the headlamp...

Here is a close up of the headlamp. As you can see, the lenses are still clear and the black paint is on the inside of headlamp where it was once chrome. I also had the turn signal blacked out so that you don't see any amber but it shines brightly even in the daytime. As a result, I don't lose any illumination.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked Out Headlights....-04ls430r-002.jpg  
Old 05-20-09, 07:37 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice...that close up shot looks nice...I would have added some LEDs while it was open...

Quick Reply: Blacked Out Headlights....