LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying experiences for your LS430 New/Used/Good/Bad?

Old 05-05-09, 08:33 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying experiences for your LS430 New/Used/Good/Bad?

I bought mine from a used car dealer and wondered what kind of experiences Members have had when purchasing their vehicle. I'll bet the new car experience was great and would like to hear what it is like but my used buying experience wasn't bad. I was totally amazed at what kinds of cosmetic damage can be fixed to look like new. For instance, the wheels on my car had "curb rash" and some scrapes (looked like they scraped against a cinder block wall) on the corner of the bumpers were fixed to my perfection. Also the car was wet sanded and waxed to what appears to be new car quality. With a clean interior in great condition and added new brakes all around, new Kumho Touring tires and a 35K check up my car was like new to me. One of my best car buying experiences ever.
What was yours like?
Old 05-05-09, 09:10 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've owned about 40 vehicles in my life and have probably bought about 25% of them from individuals and the rest from dealers. I've found that you can buy from dealers at the same or lower price than most individuals. I almost always buy used (have had about 5 new vehicles, but those were special cases where I knew that the vehicle would hold it's value uncommonly well for the period which I expected to own it). I only buy used cars that are in amazing original condition. I have never had a bad experience from dealers or from individuals, but of course I always walk away early on from any that seem shady, and come to think of it, I've definitely walked away from several after only a phone call or initial face-to-face discussion.

My best dealer experiences have been with the two vehicles that I bought from Lexus dealers (my current two Lexus), behind that were the 3 vehicles that I bought from a BMW dealer (prior LS430, M3, and 300ZXTT) and one from a MB dealer. The rest were simply straight-forward purchases where both parties acted honestly and in good faith. In my experience, there is nothing to dread or fear in buying a car new or used, but then I supose I do know a lot more about what I'm looking at than the average person who is shopping.
Old 05-05-09, 09:17 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

You sound like a very savy car buyer. How did you handle trade-ins? They have always been the "wild card" in my deals.
Old 05-05-09, 10:21 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
You sound like a very savy car buyer. How did you handle trade-ins? They have always been the "wild card" in my deals.
Oh boy... as you probably know, trading in is the tough part and where the dealer really puts it to you and there's not much you can do about it because they simply will not invest more than they can turn around and wholesale the vehicle for. They may dress up the deal and make it LOOK as if they are giving you a lot for the trade-in, but they probably aren't -- they have a lot more room on the selling price of the vehicle you're buying, or something.

For that reason, I've never traded anything in -- I just sell them myself via the Autotrader magazine or more lately, on-line. Actually I traded a '70 Dodge Charger for a '76 Trans Am once (in 1980), but I actually did get a decent deal on that because the specialty dealer had a better market for the car than I could find myself. But that was the only time.
Old 05-05-09, 10:22 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just from my LS430 experience, I found that dealer (Lexus and non) networks, experience, sales relation, etc. varied so very much. The LS is so luxurious that the world "ultra luxury" was commonly used to describe the vehicle, when in fact it was a particular option available for the vehicle. So, when I read "ultra luxury" on many, they ended up being the modern luxury or even the base models. Almost all of the Lexus dealerships the various trims and priced accordingly, while private or "used car" dealers some times did not know a CL from a UL, so you would end up having a CL and UL priced the same, or the CL being more just because it had lower miles.

I ended up purchasing from a private dealership that carried majority Lexus vehicles. They were hassle free because they were haggle free. The price they posted was pretty much what you were going to pay because there was not much negotiating. Just like at Lexus, when you went for test drives, they gave you the keys, let you free roam around, and then when you returned, they answered your questions.

To my surprise, I found that the Lexus dealerships were not that aggressive either with the sale. They were helpful for sure and negotiated some aggressive deals, but when I wasn't ready to buy, they did pull the old "please, tell me what I can do to have you drive off today with this car????" It was very cordial and we shook hands and they would say "thank you, consider the vehicle and we'll be here when you're ready."

To be honest, it made my decision very tough because my experiences were overall very good and someone had to lose out becaue I was only buying one LS.
Old 05-05-09, 01:13 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I wondered what kind of experiences Members have had when purchasing their vehicle. What was yours like?
If you're trying to play "detective" for Lexus/Toyota Motor Corp, and trying to get some good or bad dirt for your DEALERSHIPS, then sit down. I've got a story to tell....

When I was looking for my LS, I went to the Lexus dealership in Wilmington, Delaware (Wilmington Lexus). They typically only had 1 LS430 on their lot for several weeks even MONTHS, then sold it or got rid of it somehow, then they had another one, etc. The very last one I test drove was a 2005 w 45k miles on it. It had nav, but didn't have the sport package, so in reality, I wasn't even going to buy it ANYWAY.

It was a CPO (certified pre-owned) and the sticker had on it $44,995 or something similar. Knowing how much the LS's were going for at auction (Manheim), I took a printout of all the LS's that sold the week previous. (all 04-05 LS's at Manheim sold between $23k~$35k).
I took the dealerships LS's/GS's for a test drives almost every other week, as I didn't have any other way to test drive one. When I was FINALLY ready to buy the LS, I told the salesguy I had my checkbook in my back pocket. We sat at the granite conference room table, and the salesguy asked me what he needed to do, to finally put me into the LS.

I said, first, and formost, you need to drop your price by at LEAST $10k for me to even CONSIDER buying it. He had this perplexed look on his face. I then got the folded up printout of the Manheim auction results of all the LS's, which showed the price, year, color, and mileage. I put the paper in front of him and said...TAKE A LOOK.

He did...and got stuck and stuttered a bit..and said..he'd "talk to the manager."

He came back 10 minutes later, and said something like..."Sir--I'm sorry. The price on the vehicle is what the car is selling for. I'm sorry."

I said to my girlfriend something like..."Alright hunny...let's go."

He walked us out of the showroom and as we were walking through the front doors, I stopped and turned and said that----he needs to tell his manager that he "needs to have his head examined" and to also tell him I "appreciated the miles that I accumulated on their vehicles over the months!" (lolol) He didn't like that too much.

So.....just to emphasize, I'm not always a jerk..but in this case, the arrogance and the unwillingness for this dealership to be more than $10k OVER THE WHOLESALE AUCTION PRICES, and not even consider dropping their bottom line by $1k was a JOKE! And I let them know it....

I bought mine eventually though private seller/listing on ebay. It was listed as a buy-it-now at $25k. Nobody bid on it. I called the guy a week later, and it was still for sale. I drove the hour to inspect it and it was, by far, the most meticulously maintained vehicle I've ever seen, aside from brand new. We agreed to have Chester Springs Lexus (in PA) inspect it from top to bottom, and with those results, I would determine if I was going to buy it or not. (the seller paid the $220 inspection). The car inspected clean as a whistle....and so it was mine!

I will never, ever, ever buy a vehicle from ANY major (Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc) ever again, now---with the information that I know about the cost of vehicles at WHOLESALE prices. This is the biggest secret in the auto industry!!! Dealerships typically make MORE on used cars than they do brand new cars.

Again...stay away from Wilmington Lexus if you're going to BUY! They will NOT give you a "FAIR" price.

PS...I'm addicted to the cat/mouse negotiations games most dealerships play!!! I think I'm part of the 5% that LOVES giving car sales people a hard time..lol

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 05-05-09 at 01:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-09, 02:03 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Nope not a "detective" just play one on TV. Just kidding. Have never worked for any car dealer ever. Just curious and, unlike you, I dread negotiating on car deals with whomever. I always feel taken especially on the trade-in.

I started this thread to compare the experiences in buying used versus new but buying used from a dealership or from a used car dealer is in the realm.

Yes I too discovered the joy of saving money on a used well taken care of car. Wouldn't it be great if the average guy could buy a car at auction? Don't know if public auctions are available? It used to be only the "lemons" or cars that didn't move were auctioned. Now I can imagine the banks dump their off lease cars at auctions. Sign of the times.

On the other hand I would certainly think that dealers do have high overhead costs (i.e. marketing, etc.) and reputations to uphold. But isn't it great to get a good deal?
Old 05-05-09, 03:08 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Determining a market correct price can be difficult. It doesn't matter what cars are bringing at wholesale auctions, what matters is the market the dealership is experiencing in their area which is determined by what that market is willing to pay. I have walked away from cars that the dealership and I could not come to an agreed price because I was not offering what they felt they could get if they waited. I didn't blame the dealership, that's just business. Being a business owner I know Mahogany bathrooms stalls and marble floors don't just grow in dealerships. They know what it cost to keep their lights on and I know what I am willing to pay. It's no one's fault if we don't agree on a price. Lastly it comes down to the buyer asking himself, "Which do I want more the vehicle or my money?"
I find it much easier to negotiate on a new car than a used car simply because there is an invoice to deal from. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by DNC; 05-06-09 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 09:03 PM
ebolger
Rookie

As a Honda product owner for almost 20 years (Acura's , Ridgelines and Accords) I had to be nudged over to the dark side by my partner to try a Lexus.

After I tried a LS 430 I was on a mission to find the one I wanted.

I went through 44 CARFAX's before I found the one I wanted.

I found the one I wanted with a dealer in Sacramento. It had 97K on it. I checked in with the local Lexus dealer. Had it checked out. Like what I saw and did the deal.

I really enjoy this car.
Old 05-05-09, 10:07 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

I haven't bought a new car in 19 years, all have been used since then. I typically like buying from a private party over a dealer, but in the case of my LS430UL, after searching for over a year, I ended up buying from a local Lexus dealer. The negotiation only took 10 mins, with the difference being $900 from what I originally offered. I had a large list of things for them to address before taking delivery, and they ended up going beyond my expectation by replacing the windshield (I only requested to have them fill a couple of tiny chips) and they also replaced both exterior mirrors.

It is also a CPO, which paid dividends since shortly thereafter, I had to have my right rear air shock replaced. No charge.
Old 05-06-09, 12:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe car buying experience directly depends on how much you know about cars and how much home work you did.

If you know everything about it, no one can take advantage of you and the experience have to be good. If you are ignorant, people will take advantage of you and the experience will be bad. Car's salesman are some of the most shady people out there, they will squeeze every dollar possibly out of anyone.

I think most people who come to this kind of car forum, already knows a lot about cars and the ins and outs of buying and selling a car, most people here are savy buyer.

My experience of buying my LS430, it was very simple, I am a car enthusiast that knows everything about the car, buying the car from a car enthusiast that also knows everything about the car. He disclosed everything about the car, nothing that I don't already know or can tell. We agreed on a fair market value, then it is done. When everything is honest and fair, it is very simple and easy. I inspected the car on his driveway, go to the bank to transfer the money, then I went to lunch. Done in one hour.

Last edited by BNR34; 05-06-09 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 12:51 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
I believe car buying experience directly depends on how much you know about cars and how much home work you did.

If you know everything about it, no one can take advantage of you and the experience have to be good. If you are ignorant, people will take advantage of you and the experience will be bad. Car's salesman are some of the most shady people out there, they will squeeze every dollar possibly out of anyone.

I think most people who come to this kind of car forum, already knows a lot about cars and the ins and outs of buying and selling a car, most people here are savy buyer.

My experience of buying my LS430, it was very simple, I am a car enthusiast that knows everything about the car, buying the car from a car enthusiast that also knows everything about the car. He disclosed everything about the car, nothing that I don't already know or can tell. We agreed on a fair market value, then it is done. When everything is honest and fair, it is very simple and easy. I inspected the car on his driveway, go to the bank to transfer the money, then I went to lunch. Done in one hour.
Was he a trusted friend? or not known previously by you?
Old 05-06-09, 12:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Was he a trusted friend? or not known previously by you?
I don't know him previously, he is just a honest decent man.

Turns out we know some of the same people, it is a small world, the car enthusiast circle are even smaller.
Old 05-06-09, 01:04 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't know him previously, he is just a honest decent man.

Turns out we know some of the same people, it is a small world, the car enthusiast circle are even smaller.
That sounds like the best way to buy a car.
Old 05-06-09, 02:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

That sounds like the best way to buy a car.
Yes it is. Buying a perfectly kept used car from a honest and fair private owner is the best way to go. Is just that finding the exact car you want from a private owner is not always possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying experiences for your LS430 New/Used/Good/Bad?