LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 10:35 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I think the problem is that most techs including those at the dealer don't know the proper sequence of adjusting the sensors to get the car level. The other problem is doing adjustments on ground that is not perfectly flat. An alignment rack is flat and is an ideal surface to make adjustments to the suspension. I can't remember exactly what the sequence is but I think it starts with adjusting the front right first, as if it is a "master" adjustment, then fine tune it from the other wheels.
The badly designed air suspension leveling system is the main issue.
Old 02-21-12, 02:32 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone ever checked their car out with someone in the drivers seat? Does it still have the gang star lean?

Just wondering if it has a lot to do with the car not having a chance to adjust the level before being shut off.
Old 02-21-12, 02:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by waijai
Has anyone ever checked their car out with someone in the drivers seat?
Yes I have.

Does it still have the gang star lean?
Yes it does.

Just wondering if it has a lot to do with the car not having a chance to adjust the level before being shut off.
You know what self leveling air suspension means right? It means it would adjust itself to the same stance regardless of load level. That gang star lean is the default stance that came stock from the factory, that is how Lexus made it to sit. Why they did that, no one knows, maybe the engineer at Lexus in charge of it knows.

So it sit like that by default, if someone jump into the driver seat, that corner would compress and drop down from the extra weight. But as soon as the height sensor senses the car is dropped down, the air compressor turns on to pump up that driver side's front strut up to rise it back up. But it works really slow, you have to give it a minute or so for it to rise it back up to get the gang star lean back. As long as the car is running, it would try to go back to that same gang star lean stance, regardless of weight. That's why you see stock UL going down the road with only the driver in it, still lean like that because the suspension is working the way it is made to do.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-21-12 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 02:47 PM
waijai
Racer

Originally Posted by BNR34

So it sit like that by default, if someone jump into the driver seat, it would lower that corner initially from the extra weight. But as soon as the height sensor senses the car is dropped down, the air compressor turns on to pump up that driver side's front strut up to rise it back up. But it works really slow, you have to give it a minute or so for it to rise it back up to get the gang star lean back. As long as the car is running, it would try to go back to that same gang star lean stance, regardless of weight. That's why you see stock UL going down the road with only the driver in it, still lean like that because the suspension is working the way it is made to do.
1. Driver jumps in
2. Initial corner lowers
3. Compressor kicks on
4. Corner is "raised" back up
5. Driver shuts off car
6. Driver gets out
7. Corner was compensated for that added weight.
8. Front left is higher causing right rear to be lower.

I really think with correct height sensor adjustment, it can level out.
Old 02-21-12, 03:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I really think with correct height sensor adjustment, it can level out.
Sometimes, as seen by my own experiences and others too.

I got the car to sit level when I first adjusted it, it sat level for a good year or so. Then the dealer screwed with it and I couldn't get it back to the way it was. The system is just dumb and badly designed with slow sensors and ECU.

The only way to get rid of the gangster lean permanently is to get rid of the stock air bags
Old 02-21-12, 03:37 PM
waijai
Racer

I wouldn't say the system is dumb and badly designed. I would say it's a bit dated. It's a semi-active system that isn't going to immediately react to every irregularity in the road. It will adjust well for load such as additional passengers, fuel, luggage, etc.
Old 02-21-12, 03:44 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
The system is just dumb and badly designed with slow sensors and ECU.

The only way to get rid of the gangster lean permanently is to get rid of the stock air bags
I agree the system is dumb with it leaning out of the box but after adjusting the rods, I had no issues for the last 3 years. All sides and front and back perfectly even. Granted I have ASC, I have been driving on setting "Normal" so it should not affect the factory air at all.
Old 01-09-13, 06:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

This is the best one yet!! I wonder if someone set it up intentionally for it to sit like that

I got these pics from a forsale ad, as far as I know it got the stock air shocks. I wonder someone actually drive down the road like this thinking it is normal? LOL
Attached Thumbnails Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-1.jpg   Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-2.jpg   Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-3.jpg   Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-4.jpg   Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-5.jpg  

Old 01-09-13, 11:51 PM
LLcoolV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by farquad
for some reason the gangstar lean made me lol
my goodness stock cars are high
I was actually going to ask why do so many people lower there LS? I actually like mine sitting up but I'm starting not to feel completely cool unless I lower the Lexo and add some shoes (rims) to it.

Am I missing something here, am I not cool? lol
Old 01-10-13, 10:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LLcoolV
I was actually going to ask why do so many people lower there LS? I actually like mine sitting up but I'm starting not to feel completely cool unless I lower the Lexo and add some shoes (rims) to it.

Am I missing something here, am I not cool? lol
Cool or not, is very subjective and just a personal preference.

I think the gangster lean is the coolest of them all.

Old 01-11-13, 02:21 AM
TSA1
Driver School Candidate

This thread is hilarious!
Old 01-12-13, 05:37 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

if any of you guys are running air controllers, what controller are you running, are you happy with it?

while on the topic of air suspension, have you guys ever had to replace a bag or anything like that?
Old 11-12-14, 09:20 AM
BigLS430
Driver School Candidate

the unevenness of my ride makes me wanna choke a B. i think the asc controller has A.D.D. while driving the car goes into 4x4 mode on one side and back down and up and down. Its like a ghost is in my car playing with 16 switches in slow mo. i really love the comfort of the factory bags but the uneven height at times is annoying. No matter how i adjust the asc controller or the factory leveling brackets the results are always the same. Very tempted to just go with an entirely new aftermarket system.
Old 11-12-14, 09:30 AM
radohanno
Rookie

: Thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-img_20140901_183636.jpg   Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-img_20140119_142553.jpg   Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.-img_20140830_175725.jpg  
Old 11-12-14, 10:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by radohanno
: Thumbup:
Thank you for your contribution, yes sir that is the famous gangster lean!

Quick Reply: Stock UL's crooked, un-level stance pics thread.